E36 316i Compact Turbo (M43B16) -Need some insight - please advise. - Page 2

Notices

Thread: E36 316i Compact Turbo (M43B16) -Need some insight - please advise.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rodd1s's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    PIECE OF SHIT
    Year of Manufacture:
    OLD
    Transmission Type:
    HARD WORK
    Car Body Type:
    DODGY

Thanks
    Nope not gonna bother with aftermarket management and all that. I'll probably get rid of the car before it gets too serious. Was just looking for a bit of fun (some people still don't quite understand what I mean by doing up a car and wanting to get rid is just a bit of fun lol)

Well, I'll just have to play it by ear. Got the pressure set to almost spot on 40 psi, bit lumpy at cold idle again now, but runs fine after about a minute.
    Had a look through the Bentley manual for E36's, and it doesn't cover the M43 lump... so that's no good. Had a good read anyway, just to try and get some idea of how these engines work. Still nothing.

Checked on RealOEM, and found what was apparently (according to RealOEM) a crankcase breather hose connected to the inlet manifold - which would give endless problems if not properly re-routed... went and cut the hose only to find still-boiling hot coolant come bursting out of it. A quick trip to Halfrauds and back for an 8mm hoses connector and the appropriate jubilee clips later and it's all fixed again.

Still ain't got a scooby doo where what's leaking or not at full throttle. I have however connected a boost gauge - to the wrong end of the stick so to speak. It's connected to the turbo side of the boost pipes, rather than the manifold, so it doesn't give vacuum readings, only boost (and hopefully accurately). I couldn't be bothered to relocate it to the fanimold after I'd spent half hour just trying to get the vacuum line through the firewall and cable-tied in place.

My question for today is... does anyone know where I might be able to find diagram that covers all the breathers and vent hoses connected to the M43 engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Brickhouse's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    I dont know if this may help mate, but it shows all parts of an M43 engine.

RealOEM.com * Diagram Selection

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rodd1s's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    PIECE OF SHIT
    Year of Manufacture:
    OLD
    Transmission Type:
    HARD WORK
    Car Body Type:
    DODGY

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickhouse View Post
    I dont know if this may help mate, but it shows all parts of an M43 engine.

RealOEM.com * Diagram Selection
    That particular link is for the front seats. But I've looked through all the relevant diagrams on there and now I'm not so sure it's a breather hose that I'm missing.

Having installed the boost gauge it holds a tad over 5 psi solid right through the rev range from around 2,500rpm.
    I've now tuned the fuel pressure to 40psi at idle - and it idles normally.
    I can use up to almost full throttle, so much so that the 'go' pedal is about quarter inch away from the stop-bolt on the floor and it runs fine, spools quick and pulls hard.
    BUT as soon as I floor it, everything goes slow and the engine drops power as if it weren't boosting (feels same as the 1.6 did before the turbo) yet the boost still holds 5psi.

I have yet to investigate whether the linkage between the pedal and throttle body is possibly "mis/mal/un-adjusted" (is that a word?) if maybe that affects the throttle position sensor.

What are the controlling factors for the fuel injection on these engines that can be checked? Is it just air flow meter and throttle position (set aside engine speed/temp, air temp, etc)? Because I know they don't utilise a MAP sensor - or do they? Because that would explain a lot!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rodd1s's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    PIECE OF SHIT
    Year of Manufacture:
    OLD
    Transmission Type:
    HARD WORK
    Car Body Type:
    DODGY

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmcl View Post
    You'll really need a gauge to set it correctly - take the vacuum hose off the regulator when setting it at idle as well; because the vacuum in the manifold will reduce the reading.
    At first I set it with the vacuum line disconnected to 40psi (reading 24psi connected) and it ran even worse than before! Hunting a little at idle.
    So I then reset it to 40psi with the vacuum line connected and it idles fine and runs a little better, but still not perfect.

Runs best with it set to between 50 and 60psi at idle (high, I know.) nearing 80psi without vacuum.

Where am I going wrong in getting this car running half decently? I just dont understand these engines!

BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    you need to get a wideband lambda guage on that and set the fuel rate according to the readings you get. you run the risk of burning something out if your fueling is incorrect at WOT.
    weld in an additional boss in the exhaust for the gauge, dont double up
    Z3

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rodd1s's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    PIECE OF SHIT
    Year of Manufacture:
    OLD
    Transmission Type:
    HARD WORK
    Car Body Type:
    DODGY

Thanks
    Figured as much.
    Might try and build a portable emissions tester out of a spare lambda sensor and the ratio gauge that I can just chuck up the exhaust and see what's occurring, even though it won't be accurate, it'll at least give me a rich/lean yes or no.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    Thanks
    its your engine !!

i wouldn't risk doing it like that
    Z3

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rodd1s's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    PIECE OF SHIT
    Year of Manufacture:
    OLD
    Transmission Type:
    HARD WORK
    Car Body Type:
    DODGY

Thanks
    Fiddling ever so finely with the fuel for a week or two and finally I've got it to the point where I can floor it and it goes :-)

It's a bit rough, really rough on cold idle, but as soon as it's warmed up it runs perfectly fine.

Couldn't say what pressure the fuel sits at, but it's far above the proposed 40psi which ever way you look at it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12