boosting S50B32

Notices

Thread: boosting S50B32

Reply to Thread
  1. boosting S50B32 
    Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Opinions on boosting stock compression, 98 octane with switchable maps for race fuel setting.

I figure 6.5psi for daily agressive driving, 3psi for daily economy and 8-10psi for racefuel on track racing.

I have heard 10 on pumpgas can be done, but i think that is a bad idea even with good tuning and 98 octane.

will be running custom built Megasquirt from mtech there in the UK and their software looks alright, has 3 different fuel maps, flat shift, launch control, traction control, fan control, high bandwidth wb02 loosing maf. Already have cat-les free flow exhaust and no muffler. Will change injectors as well.

Although now i have just read on here about the motec being able to control dual vanos and that sounds really nice!!! may have to get pricing on the m600 and cancel the megasquirt...

what are experiences and thoughts about a low boost stock compression setup. and yes i know about the 11.3:1 ratio existing already...
    98 European E36 M3 (SMG) Blue, Weichers Strut Tower bars, H&R sway bar kit, custom exhaust, Stoptech ST-40 332mm pagid blue and yellow's on track, SaBelt 6 point belts, KW Club Sport 12kg/mm F&R. Motec M600 with cam control option for Dual Vanos. Turbo build after n/a tune is complete and vanos control is mastered.

http://www.underpressuregarage.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    so at 6psi compression ration would be (15.91:1) 16:1
    and at 8psi ratio would be (17.44:1) 17.5:1

98 octane and good tuning can run the 16:1 and race fuel mix can do the 17.5:1 correct???

boost masters chime in please.
    98 European E36 M3 (SMG) Blue, Weichers Strut Tower bars, H&R sway bar kit, custom exhaust, Stoptech ST-40 332mm pagid blue and yellow's on track, SaBelt 6 point belts, KW Club Sport 12kg/mm F&R. Motec M600 with cam control option for Dual Vanos. Turbo build after n/a tune is complete and vanos control is mastered.

BMW Fanatic
    Thanks
    i wouldnt like to boost a stock motor, but thats my opinion. the engine is a highly strung NA motor as it is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BFuk Moderator
    Car Details
    morerevsm3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3, and 325e
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and 1986
    Transmission Type:
    manual and manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe and sedan
    Thanks
    liquidtension on US Bfc has twin turbos on stock S50B32...no tuning even, and on his wideband, AFR's are still safe, and he reports no detonation.I don't know what the fuel is like in Lebanon where he is? he runs 6psi

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zparker View Post
    Opinions on boosting stock compression, 98 octane with switchable maps for race fuel setting.

I figure 6.5psi for daily agressive driving, 3psi for daily economy and 8-10psi for racefuel on track racing.

I have heard 10 on pumpgas can be done, but i think that is a bad idea even with good tuning and 98 octane.

will be running custom built Megasquirt from mtech there in the UK and their software looks alright, has 3 different fuel maps, flat shift, launch control, traction control, fan control, high bandwidth wb02 loosing maf. Already have cat-les free flow exhaust and no muffler. Will change injectors as well.

Although now i have just read on here about the motec being able to control dual vanos and that sounds really nice!!! may have to get pricing on the m600 and cancel the megasquirt...

what are experiences and thoughts about a low boost stock compression setup. and yes i know about the 11.3:1 ratio existing already...
    At 6psi it does depend on the turbo that you are using.....but if it is sensibly sized, for example a Garrett GT30 or similiar, then you should be ok.

However for the minimal extra effort involved, I would strongly recommend fitting a multi layer head gasket to lower the compression and while the head is off, to fit ARP head studs.

it is not a very big job compared to the work involved in turbocharging the car and I would strongly advise you do it!

but if you are set on using the stock engine then it IS doable, and 6psi should be ok with tuning....

I would like to drive liquid tensions car...... it will be running like a dog with no tuning and no where near its potential with twins :

BFuk Moderator
    Car Details
    morerevsm3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3, and 325e
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and 1986
    Transmission Type:
    manual and manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe and sedan
    Thanks
    they are only little stock WRX turbos...

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    yeah i am watching his thread also...I was looking at the biggest gt35 which will be in the efficiency range and in boost around 3500 according to plot points from the formulas. 6-6.5psi is nothing but on stock power should yeild 500bhp...on regular 98 octane, and of course on race day....8psi would be a gt3 killer...

I am looking into the bridgestone re-55sr's you talked about since it is a medium hard compound. Alot of guys use them here and like them, buy complaign about the life of them...i will bet money they have the soft compound.