BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

318ci 2.0l Turbo project :)

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TOGA 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm driving a 318ci with a 2.0l 4 cylinder, n42 b20 that has that valvetronic. Ive a few mods done to her, intake, exhaust, fully adjustable suspension, z3 rack, short shifter, welded auto diff and well now I wana plant a turbo on the side!
My previous car I was so close to turboing it! I had a 98 corolla! :p I had turbo, maini , exhaust bits pipes and well I got new job , never got the time was pushed aside and well I lost interest and bought ma bimmer! :) I done a fair bit of research so I think I have the jist of what I need there's just a few things that are different with the bmw to my corolla :p

First off as far as Ive seen the n42 could hold a few psi of boost without a rod breaking :p I'm aiming for 200hp ish.
What I had to do with the corolla was run a piggyback to compensate for the turbo and I was just wondering could a remap on my 318 do the same?!

I know everybody will say just lad in a 3.2 s engine :p but ill be doing the work with a friend who's a mechanic and I'm a apprentice mechanic at the mo so we have some mechanical knowledge plus ive done all the work to my car id rather only pay some one to map it! :p ill save on labour doing it this way :) ive thought of engine conversion just I've gone threw the turbo engine swap dilemma and I want turbo :p if she blows land in a 2.5 :p

The pipe work and turbo mount with feeds etc is grand can do that, I just cant get my head around the remap or fitting a piggy back?!!? Will the remap fella be able to retard the timing slightly and up the fueling? Will I have to water cool? Or does my engine have a knock sensor thatl cut my engine ? Let me know I'm killing her and work from there :p..

I know I've alot of questions etc but I'm not backing down from a turbo project again :p
Any help is much appreciated, if you've turboed your bimmer be it 4 or 6 cylinder please share your findings :)

Thanks
Andrew

See less See more
#4 ·
2.0 turbo

Why not buy a 328 and turbo that? I think that I know what You mean. I have a 1995 740 and want to get more power because... it`s not sane... I should buy my an M5 and enjoy. Instead of swapping engine and transmission etc.
But it feels so bloody good when You have done something no one else has done!!!
Ps. 200 hp should be quite easy... And get Yourself an ECU that can be programmed. Should bring You some extra horses too...

#8 ·
Any developments on this? I have a 318ci n46b20 aswell and would be interested in fitting s turbo. For me custom making a mafifold and fitting the turbo would't be that difficult, the bit im worried about is the tunning of the car and how much boost it would be safe to run, having such a sensitive engine im sure it would set the ecu into overload if not done correctly :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.