Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi there first time on here so hopefully say the right things and receive helpfull answers . I bought my beemer 6 months ago and was very happy with it it had been re-mapped to 200 bhp and was very fast off the mark however yesterday having some free time i decided to install new glow plugs in time for the colder weather . After puting every thing back together (valve cover and hoses) i started the car and drove off to find there was no turbo . After another look around the engine i discovered 2 of the 3 wires connecting to the plug which connects to the MAP Sensor had broken clear .
    Today i stripped the valve cover off again then had a mechanic friend re-solder the wires in place and reconnect . The test drive was much better with the turbo working again although not so much pull as before . Im wondering if it is back too its original BHP ?
    Thinking then maybe it might need re-mapped i drove home , but half way i came off a junction and no turbo again.
    Can anyone throw some light on this ...
    Since i wrote this i have more weird stuff happening .. the cars turbo is responding after a fresh start in 1st 2nd 3rd gear but from 4th it comes and goes then nothing in any gear then responds again .
    i have removed and clean the erg valve which seems ok
    Last edited by dunk2274; 04-10-2013 at 17:25.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jazzler83's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E90 318d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I could be way off here, and am merely thinking out loud, but my thoughts are that the MAP sensor sends a very sensitive analogue signal based on wire resistance. And soldering the wire has varied the resistance and MAP sensor reading? Causing it to boost less? Although I can't explain why the turbo stops from 4th gear? Possibly a way too high resistance reading which puts it into a safe mode? Have you read the ecu for fault codes?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzler83 For This Useful Post:

dunk2274 (25-10-2013)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dunk2274's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    hi jazzler83 thanks for the response .... i have a obd2 code reader which to begin with showed a fault with the boost pressure sensor which i believe is the MAP sensor but once it was re-soldered it stopped . Now code po401 is showing which is low gas air circulation . This brings me to the MAF sensor built on too the air filter that also has a temperature sensor incorperated . ,, thinking this may be faulty as the car seems to boost fine when its cold but start playing up once its warmed up . I have managed to pick up a bosch MAF sensor which should be delivered any day now and payed half the price so will install and see may be the case of trial and error till i find the problem . That is certainly interesting what u said about the resistance and that could be the next step if needs must .