BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

turbo an E46 M3 ready for USC?

• Yes, get another loan and do it!!! we want to see 500bhp M3 going up the strip

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • no, waste of time. Just have a beer or two and watch other people blow up there pride and joy!!

Votes: 13 36.1%

2002 E46 M3 - turbo power!!!

8K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  gstuning 
#1 ·
who thinks i should do this in time for USC? :D would be a quick conversion so no internal work would be done....

looking for 500bhp

want sub 12secs 1/4 time :thumbsup

would get the whole car done in BIMMERFORUMS stickers all over aswell :cool

#5 ·
i know mate, iv done a couple of conversions now, and as long as your not stupid with the boost settings, you should be ok. Talked to horsepower freaks and you can run 700bhp on stock internals. Its not a hard job if you have the plans for the headers etc and talking to them they said they can send info on doing a DIY kit. We will see, only thing thats holding me back at this moment is money, will see what pay is like next month :D

#6 · (Edited)
Chas
I'll give you my take on this and you can tell me if i am wrong, whf are you thinking,

1.. could you afford to buy a new engine if and when it blows up
2.. Do you really think you could diy a turbo install on your m3, if you do your off your rocker
3...insurance 24 year old in a turbo charged m3, that will down like a sack of sh=t
4...why are you even thinking off doing this when you have only had the car for 2 months
5...if you are going to do this, have it done in a garage ie ALTUNNING after all at lease i may run for 6 months with problems
6..resell valve, worth sweet fu-k all

well that my opinon mate, i think you bloody mad, but its your car and you can what ever you like with it

DUM ARSE

#9 ·
Extra power is all well and good mate, but as mentioned, you've only very recently bought the car, I would be inclined to enjoy it and make the most of it how it is, its got plenty of performance and calibre already. If in 6 months + time you're still itching for a turbo, then the only way I would do it is like Ralph said, via a proper garage with some sort of cover in case something happens - because if it does, it will not be a cheap fix! As well built as BMW's are, there's still a chance something could happen.

Not only the above, but I suspect that if you're wanting to fit a turbo already, then what will you be like in a few months time? Supercharger?

Try and tame the petrolhead beast inside of you :hihi

#13 ·
That is true BUT iv been asking around and apparently its do able. I thought the same thing but they offer kits out in america with garentees, weather its worth the paper its written on is another thing, just looking out at the moment at what i can get for the money, i do prefer N/A tunning as its not stressing the lump at all but bmw have done so well getting all that power out of these things, prices are high for not alot of bhp. Nos is another thing but not too keen on this.... Have to see what i can find out tonight and see whats the best option.

#17 ·
Why have well become Capt Sensible on here? (Thought that was my job!)

Chasman - if you can afford it and want to do it - JFDI and sod everyone else. Yes, there's risk and insurance premia and engine failure, but if we don't want that we can get a bicycle...........

When I was you're age (makes me sound old) I had a 5.2ltr Chrysler Charger....because I could.............

#21 ·
Whats has been the history with Nitrous with the E46 M3 engine.

If its set up with a progressive switch and correctly installed.........how do these engines fare? With 75bhp jets........you'll have 418bhp. That wont be slow.

Agree with Ralphs points to be honest.

Amos

#23 ·
If you got your heart and bank loan set on a turbo you know what you got to do.

I'd never entertain the idea with my M3, it's the same as yours and I know that both of us wouldn't get all the performance out of it, that it has standard from BMW, it's just putting yourself in debt to make a car thats fast as F on a drag stripe that you'll use a handfull of times a year, you'll devalue it and always waiting for it to blow up.
If you were dead set to do it, you want to own the car outright, have the cash to do the turbo implant at a proper turbo engineering garage and also have the money to replace everything that brakes, then the insurance will more than likely double or triple.

I'd leave it, BMW did a great job building it and you'd do a good job of f*cking all their good work up.

#32 ·
Nah, the charge air does get heated up above ambient temperature by the fact it is being compressed by the turbine and forced up the IC piping (compressing the air causes it to heat up) but dont forget that big old intercooler on the front of turbo cars, which then cools the charge air down sufficiently *(in an ideal world) and then it continues from there into the inlet manifold and into the engine (still under pressure).

Superchargers generate heat into the charge air and also need some kind of intercooler or sometimes a charge cooler (uses water)

Your bang on with the air density. Cooler air is more dense and will create Mo Powa :hihi

#38 ·
tim shaw from 5th gear and co director off ca automotive cracked a 9.9 sec in the quarter mile with his supercharged e46 m3..:jaw-dropping..think the supercharger is more reliable..tho you cant beat the whoosh sledgehammer affect off a big f*ck off turbo:D..and a supercharger is a more constant power curve:thumbsup...lucky boy even havin the choice mate..nice one:thumbsup

#40 ·
instead of spenind ££££'s on turbo charging your M3, which is only RWD you will surely have problems getting that amount of power down, I expect you will also have the likelyhood of stacking it round a corner and wrapping your M3 round a tree...

why not buy a Mitsubishi EVO VI which is already turbo charged, and 4WD, and already running over 500 BHP ??? To me this would make more sense (although I am biased, I would give anything to have a mint EVO VI with some serious power).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.