325ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hey guys,

I have a brand new turbo that I never got in to my old car. I am thinking about doing a turbo upgrade and need to get some advice.

I have looked at the vendors on the forum but am not sure if any of them are the ones to be talking too.

I understand what is involved in fitting the turbo, parts and extra upgrades that are needed/desired, this will be a long term project for me but i need to find out exactly what I can do with what I have.

The turbo is a Garrett GT28R which is really a GT2560R, its a roller bearing turbo I bought for my Nissan 200sx.

I need to know if the flow map will suit a 325 and also if the housing and flanges can fit to a stock manifold (i.e. aftermarket off the shelf stock).

I would also like to get a realistic price for all the work, I can do the basic mechanics myself but mapping etc I need a pro.
    I just need an idea for teh turbo side not the suspension, brakes etc.

If anyone has any insightful info or knows where I should be asking I would appreciate it.

Cheers for the help. Ian

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    Anybody assist the OP here ?
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    There are quite a few e36 manifolds to fit a T4 flange, but i haven't seen many e46 ones.
    To use anything more than low pressure (max 12 psi) you'll need lower compression pistons and rods.
    I haven't looked at the flow charts, but i think you would be in range if you can make the rest of the system.
    It'll be a long haul, and very expensive unless you can fabricate pipework yourself.
    Also not that many "Turbo kits are a cheap Turbo, a cheap manifold, and little else.
    You will probably require uprated fuel pump, injectors, an intercooler, low comp pistons strong rods, ARP bolts, and many hours of tuning that would cost far more than an E46 M3 engine swap.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

Boostist (04-07-2010)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backout View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a brand new turbo that I never got in to my old car. I am thinking about doing a turbo upgrade and need to get some advice.

I have looked at the vendors on the forum but am not sure if any of them are the ones to be talking too.

I understand what is involved in fitting the turbo, parts and extra upgrades that are needed/desired, this will be a long term project for me but i need to find out exactly what I can do with what I have.

The turbo is a Garrett GT28R which is really a GT2560R, its a roller bearing turbo I bought for my Nissan 200sx.

I need to know if the flow map will suit a 325 and also if the housing and flanges can fit to a stock manifold (i.e. aftermarket off the shelf stock).

I would also like to get a realistic price for all the work, I can do the basic mechanics myself but mapping etc I need a pro.
    I just need an idea for teh turbo side not the suspension, brakes etc.

If anyone has any insightful info or knows where I should be asking I would appreciate it.

Cheers for the help. Ian
    Hmm

Well its a big project for sure.
    It all depends on what your goals for the car are?
    I would say a GT28R would be ok and very nice for a low lag street turbo. They will support up to about 350hp A GT30R would be my weapon of choice as they will support up to 500hp....

The stocke internals would support around 350hp with only lowering of the compression ratio with a headgasket and the use of ARP head studs

MOre than that and I personally would say you need to upgrade the internals.

pm me if you want info on someone to do the conversion

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    backout's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostist View Post
    Hmm

Well its a big project for sure.
    It all depends on what your goals for the car are?
    I would say a GT28R would be ok and very nice for a low lag street turbo. They will support up to about 350hp A GT30R would be my weapon of choice as they will support up to 500hp....

The stocke internals would support around 350hp with only lowering of the compression ratio with a headgasket and the use of ARP head studs

MOre than that and I personally would say you need to upgrade the internals.

pm me if you want info on someone to do the conversion
    It's certainly not a small job, I know that from previous work on jap cars.

The reason for the GT28R is that I own one already, also as an everyday driver it should be plenty of power, I was thinking around 330-350hp.

I dont think it would be worth rebuilding the whole engine to get the 500hp but I like your plan.

The main cost I was thinking of was a lsd...? 350hp on the back with an open diff would be wrong...

I want to do as much of the work myself to keep the cost down but I will pm you for some info once I have some cash together to really start thinking about it.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    gstuning's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    The main cost will be the tuning aspect of things.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    ZXraziel's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Just been thinking about this and Idea struck my ( ) has anyone ever tryed to buy crashed 330d or 320d just for the parts and try to bolt it on petrol engine ? Cheap solution i think turbo,pipes, intercooler with some litle mods i think it might fit !?

Money eating monster .

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    backout's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXraziel View Post
    Just been thinking about this and Idea struck my ( ) has anyone ever tryed to buy crashed 330d or 320d just for the parts and try to bolt it on petrol engine ? Cheap solution i think turbo,pipes, intercooler with some litle mods i think it might fit !?
    I had this idea but not sure if it would work.... never asked the question though...

The turbo would be pretty small by my reckoning as it is only a booster for a diesel and you would still need a manifold as they are both 4 cylinder engines as far as i know, maybe the 330 is a 6.

Also I'm not sure if the diesel has an intercooler? Diesels need to run hot so with a small turbo they may not have one.... maybe some one on here can add some thing???

Baring the turbo, the expensive things are: intercooler, manifold, lsd (optional but very necessary), and a re map.

I imagine if it was easy there would be lots people doing it.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    gstuning's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Those turbos are small and would choke a petrol engine.