1999 320d m47 (136bhp) turbo upgrade options?

Notices
 

Thread: 1999 320d m47 (136bhp) turbo upgrade options?

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. 1999 320d m47 (136bhp) turbo upgrade options? 
    #1
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    p4paco's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    hey Lads,
    i couldnt find any info on this in the Threads, & i've been putting it off for a while.

    i'm on my still on my original turbo,
    at 150k miles i installed a EGR bypass valve, and had a custom re-map to 163bhp (up from the original 136bhp).
    the car has now done 184k miles, and i'm worried that if/when my turbo goes it will have knock on expenses.
    The whole car still runs sweetly, i've had a new BMW subframe, & i've got new bushes, wishbones etc, so i'd like to keep the car running as i've got some good stuff on the optoins list, and subtle mods.

    i want to know what the difference is between my engine (standard 136bhp)1951cc m47 and the newer 1995cc (or what ever it is) engine which comes as standard with 150bhp ?

    i live in london. and i want to know where i can get a replacement turbo which is better then what i've got.
    IDEALLY i'd want a direct fit the same or similar size turbo which i can then re map again and run higher boost.

    Does anyone know if my or the newer turbo has variable vanes?
    -where does overboost fit in?


    has anyone here upgraded their stock diesel turbo ?

    What is a realistic torque/bhp target for a 2litre diesel ?

    i'd really appreciate any help on this, as i'd like to research and do this before my turbo goes due to old age.

    i know its a lot of questions but i thought i'd stick 'em all in and see who comes up with what. any help would be much appreciated on this one.

    Prevention is better then the cure right, esp if it includes an upgrade rather then nursing and repair.
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    Bimmer Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    1,817
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Well p4paco, looking at the age of your car, the mileage done, and the amount of problems you have had in the past, you might have to let her go as it won't be cheap to replace the turbo....unless she has a sentimental value.
     
     

  4. the only thing left that i cant bank on is the Turbo 
    #3
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    p4paco's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Well p4paco, looking at the age of your car, the mileage done, and the amount of problems you have had in the past, you might have to let her go as it won't be cheap to replace the turbo....unless she has a sentimental value.
    i'v had it 3years,
    -only ever had one "problem" which was the Rear sub frame,
    but BMW did repair at no cost, so it wasnt an issue, i even had a brand new car lent to me.

    Everything else is just servicing the car properly with respect to the age in my view.

    The car does have a fair sentimental value, i've put a fair amount of time into her. Call me mad, but i'm proud of her miles, & i'd like to put some more on there.
    i'm also getting the insurers to repray the car etc (non-fault accident/scuff), & cos i'm taking it to my bodyshop i'll get a few extra free fixes, ie lip spoiler new bumper etc.
    & i'd like to keep the car if i can keep it on the road for a calculated reasonable yearly cost.

    i figured if i start early, i've got to able to find a turbo at a reasonable cost, even if it comes down to a low mileage salvage option.

    can i take the turbo from a newer 320d for a straight fit ?
    my Labour isnt that much £, as my friend works for BMW and he moonlights at his dads garage. & i get my hands dirty too.
    & i'v got trade price on all my parts, so i havent spent silly money,
    i know the whole car is good now, i know coz i'v had had a hand in it all.

    The only thing i cant bank on is how long my turbo will last.
    i cant think of any other big expenses left to cause me trouble apart from that, - have i missed anything?
    - i dont think anything else big can will go for ages.

    oh & my clutch is only abt a year old.
    i also got new pads & grooved discs all round. (ebay)
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Posts
    20,398
    Thanks
    6,198
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    The turbo on the 150bhp model is a variable vane turbo and they have swirl flaps fitted in the inlet manifold.

    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...el-info-t5537/
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    gatesy23's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    wirral
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sorry to revive this thread but the 136bhp engine and the 150bhp are completely different. The later 150bhp (m47n) engine is a common rail unit and the 136bhp (m47) engine is an injection pump unit.

    The m47 cant really be tuned to more than 175bhp without spending thousands

    There's not much point swapping the turbo from the later model because they're both variable vain and you wont see a blind bit of difference for your efforts

    If you want to go faster for cheap get yourself a nitrous kit
     
     

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to gatesy23 For This Useful Post:

    dead_valentine (06-01-2012)

  9.  
    #6
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    juice's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    sedan
    juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
    I know that is a very old post but i want to say that this engine M47 can be tuned more. Here in Romania i know a M47 engine , about 250 260 hp.
    The stock clutch its from 330D which can resist up to 500NM.
    You have to put bigger nozzles on injectors, replace just the turbo vortex with one from 330D(results a hybrid turbo) and soft upgrade. A decat front pipe is recommended.
    Optionally you can put a bigger intercooler and bigger intake pipes. This is a potent engine..i mean potent because you can achieve +100hp , from 136 to 230 240+, spending around 600-800 EUR.
    I quit addictions for my 'girl' from BMW
     
     

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to juice For This Useful Post:

    qWantUS (08-09-2014)

  11.  
    #7
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    robertb.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    robertb.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    14
    Images
    3
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    I know that is a very old post but i want to say that this engine M47 can be tuned more. Here in Romania i know a M47 engine , about 250 260 hp.
    The stock clutch its from 330D which can resist up to 500NM.
    You have to put bigger nozzles on injectors, replace just the turbo vortex with one from 330D(results a hybrid turbo) and soft upgrade. A decat front pipe is recommended.
    Optionally you can put a bigger intercooler and bigger intake pipes. This is a potent engine..i mean potent because you can achieve +100hp , from 136 to 230 240+, spending around 600-800 EUR.
    Hi,

    I just like to ask you if you have a more details about this modified M47 engine, the link would be appreciated, i heard that 320d and 330d are using exactly same clutches, but i can't confirm that, also i read in this forum that turbo compressor housing have to be machined to be able to fit upgraded core...what bigger injectors are used for this engine?

    Thank you.

    Rob
     
     

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to robertb. For This Useful Post:

    qWantUS (08-09-2014)

  13.  
    #8
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    robertb.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    robertb.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    14
    Images
    3
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p4paco View Post
    hey Lads,
    i couldnt find any info on this in the Threads, & i've been putting it off for a while.

    i'm on my still on my original turbo,
    at 150k miles i installed a EGR bypass valve, and had a custom re-map to 163bhp (up from the original 136bhp).
    the car has now done 184k miles, and i'm worried that if/when my turbo goes it will have knock on expenses.
    The whole car still runs sweetly, i've had a new BMW subframe, & i've got new bushes, wishbones etc, so i'd like to keep the car running as i've got some good stuff on the optoins list, and subtle mods.

    i want to know what the difference is between my engine (standard 136bhp)1951cc m47 and the newer 1995cc (or what ever it is) engine which comes as standard with 150bhp ?

    i live in london. and i want to know where i can get a replacement turbo which is better then what i've got.
    IDEALLY i'd want a direct fit the same or similar size turbo which i can then re map again and run higher boost.

    Does anyone know if my or the newer turbo has variable vanes?
    -where does overboost fit in?


    has anyone here upgraded their stock diesel turbo ?

    What is a realistic torque/bhp target for a 2litre diesel ?

    i'd really appreciate any help on this, as i'd like to research and do this before my turbo goes due to old age.

    i know its a lot of questions but i thought i'd stick 'em all in and see who comes up with what. any help would be much appreciated on this one.

    Prevention is better then the cure right, esp if it includes an upgrade rather then nursing and repair.
    Hi,

    I just find this, it may help you:

    330D 320D Hybrid turbo upgrade for not a lot of money.

    Good Luck.

    Rob
     
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts