Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    depends on what pressure you want to run your turbo at.

without internal work or injection work (forged rods & pistons, lazer cut metal head gaksets, injectors, remapping. ect), You can run about 6-7PSI safely;

You would need;
    Manifold, Turbo T3/4, Intercooler, Pipe work, Downpipe, turbo timer or wastegate spring.

If you were to up the boost futher than that you would then need to think of internal work/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bfuk Legend
    Car Details
    RJB328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxfan View Post
    why don't you just supercharge it? bolt on kits, that produce 8psi and 80bhp. no need to change the internals either as these cars perform well with superchargers!
    there is a reason why there are lots of companys selling chargers, and not many at all that turbo them!
    agreed why not supercharge it, turbo are a nightmare and with superchargers the power is allways there, not in big lumps and you can always up the charger by doing the mods listed

Banned - Rogue trading thief
    Car Details
    Millssta's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB328i View Post
    agreed why not supercharge it, turbo are a nightmare and with superchargers the power is allways there, not in big lumps and you can always up the charger by doing the mods listed
    yes power might always be there but for both turbo and supercharger. you can only run a low pressure boost for both unless internal work is done.

And still your zaping away vital power to give back power with a supercharger. Even though i love chargers on v6's. and turbo's should stick with 4pots. There are pro's and cons to both kits.

Chargers take power to give power.
    Turbo's take time to boost up.

But the smaller the turbo the quicker it picks up.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Millssta View Post
    yes power might always be there but for both turbo and supercharger. you can only run a low pressure boost for both unless internal work is done.

And still your zaping away vital power to give back power with a supercharger. Even though i love chargers on v6's. and turbo's should stick with 4pots. There are pro's and cons to both kits.

Chargers take power to give power.
    Turbo's take time to boost up.

But the smaller the turbo the quicker it picks up.
    hense twin turbos on 6pots and above! 2 small 1s, less lag, practically none, but they do run out of puff, and the higher the psi the hotter the charge, 2l 4 pots suit turbos really well. Chargers due take power, but give it back, so the power is there from start up! and is constant, turbo power has to spool up from exhaust gasses, so takes a little longer! The main difference is price, you can bolt on chager for 4k, to do the turbo with big power you are talking big money! custom made every thing! Eg manifolds, turbo, pistons, rods, oil feed and return pipes for turbo, fmic, stand alone management, steel thicker head gasket, different cams to make most of turbo , and some other things too.
    you could buy an e36 m3 for less than it would cost for the turbo conversion! infact you could buy an e46 330ci for less than it would cost for either, especially if you sell yours! 330ci 240hp! Then when you can handle that! charge it. lol...........

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    woodymcruk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i SE and e60 530d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998/2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual 5 Speed/Manual 6 Speed
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    anyone with enough money could have any of these
    http://www.koperformance.com/BMW/tur...gers/index.htm

but as others have stated its not cheap they do kits to push 200hp out of e36 318i
    ,m3,325,323,328 can be upto 400hp with these babys installed ,if your still serious in doing any of this as other have said you gotta make that engine a bit stronger ,if money were no option the m3 3.2 evo with 6 speed and a turbo and also a supercharger now that would be a killer,lol probably cos you about 20000 pounds,35,000$ and for that you could get a well looked after slightly modded r34 gtr.....,saying thaT people have fitted the v10 out of the m5 into the e30 ,its probably cheaper to get a wrote off m5 and pay someone who has the knowledge to install for you,again not cheap but youd be starting with 500bhp,now if you could boost that PHEW.........

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    gstuning's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxfan View Post
    hense twin turbos on 6pots and above! 2 small 1s, less lag, practically none, but they do run out of puff, and the higher the psi the hotter the charge, 2l 4 pots suit turbos really well. Chargers due take power, but give it back, so the power is there from start up! and is constant, turbo power has to spool up from exhaust gasses, so takes a little longer! The main difference is price, you can bolt on chager for 4k, to do the turbo with big power you are talking big money! custom made every thing! Eg manifolds, turbo, pistons, rods, oil feed and return pipes for turbo, fmic, stand alone management, steel thicker head gasket, different cams to make most of turbo , and some other things too.
    you could buy an e36 m3 for less than it would cost for the turbo conversion! infact you could buy an e46 330ci for less than it would cost for either, especially if you sell yours! 330ci 240hp! Then when you can handle that! charge it. lol...........
    Your answer is very ridicoulus.

You can´t compare in a single post a low boost, simple charger system with a high power turbo setup and then pass judgement on the turbo setup for being slow.

A M50B25 engine can take 500hp on standard internals.
    This also goes for almost all 6cyl BMW engines apart from 2.0´s and M20´s.

A cheap turbo kit on a M50B25 will out run almost all E36 M3´s very easily.
    With great challenges comes great engineering.
    Gunnar Reynisson @ Cosworth

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gstuning For This Useful Post:

Bingo328 (07-10-2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12