1997 E36 318 Help :( true or false? - Page 2

Notices
 

Thread: 1997 E36 318 Help :( true or false?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1.  
    #11
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    markrnorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK, Essex
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 166 Times in 108 Posts
    No you wouldn't
    Z3
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #12
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    markrnorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK, Essex
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 166 Times in 108 Posts
    Makes no difference low boost turbo or s/c , all the engine sees is positive pressure.
    Do some more research, you can do a fair bit on stock internals and the right fuel pressure.

    Does your car run OBD 1 or 2 ?
    Z3
     
     

  4.  
    #13
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    markrnorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK, Essex
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 166 Times in 108 Posts
    Not sure if the m43 engine has knock sensors like the m44, ignition needs to retard as you come on boost, the m44 does this with it's ecu and knock sensors. Not sure about the m43

    it is perfectly possible to run upto around 4-6psi safely on stock internals
    Z3
     
     

  5.  
    #14
    Bfuk Legend
    Car Details
    RJB328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1989
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    RJB328i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    surrey
    Posts
    5,675
    Thanks
    7,052
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markrnorton View Post
    Not sure if the m43 engine has knock sensors like the m44, ignition needs to retard as you come on boost, the m44 does this with it's ecu and knock sensors. Not sure about the m43

    it is perfectly possible to run upto around 4-6psi safely on stock internals
    mark
    just a question mate, why did you use a s/c instead off turbo as you clearly know what you are talking about please mate
     
     

  6.  
    #15
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    diponio1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    diponio1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    282
    Thanked 160 Times in 146 Posts
     
     

  7.  
    #16
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    markrnorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK, Essex
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 166 Times in 108 Posts


    Good post above.

    I went the s/c route because i like the more linear power delivery, power and torque is instant off the throttle, no turbo to spin up. And its a bit different !

    My car makes 4.6psi at 2000rpm and 9.6 at 6500rpm

    s/c does sap power from the engine, so for ultimate power turbo is a better route.

    look on some of the US forums, they are pumping over 1bar with stock internals
    Z3
     
     

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markrnorton For This Useful Post:

    diponio1 (25-06-2010),hexstatic (26-06-2010)

  9.  
    #17
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    diponio1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    diponio1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    282
    Thanked 160 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markrnorton View Post


    Good post above.

    I went the s/c route because i like the more linear power delivery, power and torque is instant off the throttle, no turbo to spin up. And its a bit different !

    My car makes 4.6psi at 2000rpm and 9.6 at 6500rpm

    s/c does sap power from the engine, so for ultimate power turbo is a better route.

    look on some of the US forums, they are pumping over 1bar with stock internals
    i was looking at a v40 20t or s40 20t but the turbo is in at 2.5k and have a shotish life span so when your at 60 mph at 2.5k your turbos in and being used even when you dont need or want it. i would use a s/c
    or a bigger engine imo
     
     

  10.  
    #18
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    markrnorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK, Essex
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 166 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diponio1 View Post
    i was looking at a v40 20t or s40 20t but the turbo is in at 2.5k and have a shotish life span so when your at 60 mph at 2.5k your turbos in and being used even when you dont need or want it. i would use a s/c
    or a bigger engine imo
    turbo or s/c normally have a bypass, so unless they are under full or partial load they are effectively out.

    thats why normal driving you still get good fuel consumption.

    why would a turbo have a short lifespan ?? i dont see why you say this
    Z3
     
     

  11.  
    #19
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    diponio1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    diponio1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    527
    Thanks
    282
    Thanked 160 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markrnorton View Post
    turbo or s/c normally have a bypass, so unless they are under full or partial load they are effectively out.

    thats why normal driving you still get good fuel consumption.

    why would a turbo have a short lifespan ?? i dont see why you say this
    the turbo on the 2.0t's have a span of 100k and most of the cars are over that so i thought if you do 60 mph the turbo would be in, and with that mileage at the end of its life
     
     

  12.  
    #20
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    markrnorton's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    markrnorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK, Essex
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 166 Times in 108 Posts
    i think you are mis-informed
    Z3
     
     

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts