Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    i know my engine not the best for a turbo but i want one lol. i cant change my car girlfriend is mad with me for keep changing cars ive had 6 in the last 12 months done up and sold on. so i have to keep this one plus the last big engine was an e34 540i v8 which i lost control in wet conditions and written off . tut tut . anyway enough of the stories but i was wondering if i could get a turbo 2nd hand from somewhere and get the bits i need slowly for it as ive limited funds. anyone any ideas what site i can go on to look at what i need and stuff. and no i aint the money to get a bigger engine and get someone to do it. might as well get the turbo. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bfuk Legend
    Car Details
    RJB328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    mate
    to turbo charge that engine would cost you more than to put a 328i engine in it, i would say around £500 all in for the engine conversation, god knows about the turbo the kit is probaly that a lone

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    spartacus1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    yea know what you mean i have been reading a few about it and might just do that would a 325 not be better than the 328 whats the difference in performance between them horses and stuff anyone know .

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    disco!!!!'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    sports coupe
    Thanks
    standard the 325 engine puts out the same as the 328 engine - 190 bhp
    however if you fit the 325 inlet manifold, remap, performance air filter and exhaust you are looking at around 210-230ish bhp where as you will need to soend alot more to reach that with a 325

Banned - Rogue trading thief
    Car Details
    Millssta's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    still would be nice to have the underdog 318 with a side kick turbo to show up those v6's lol.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Mista Majestic's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    you will need to change the front springs in your suspension if you chuck in a 6 cylinder engine, as they are much heavier and it will sag on those old 318 units...

i reckon yer best bet is to nitrous it. much cheaper than a turbo, and with the same kind of power gains. get the engine checked for good compression b4 doing any turbo/nitrous upgrade as they can go pop pretty easily.

go for it man!

Car Details
    Millssta's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    looking into e36 318 turbo route my self. there are a few places that supply the turbo kits for the 318 4cyl engine running aprox 10PSI boost. With BHP claims off 60-80BHP. So if the claims are correct which seems a sensible bhp claim for a turbo that would make the 318 as powerful & quick as the 328. Giving you in the region of 200-220BHP without any further mods. Obv a nice remap and zorst would add a few extra horsies charging up the rear. And if you wanted to in the future shed out on some forged rods and pistons to lower your compression rate to up the boost off the turbo futher you could as the T3 turbo's supplied for the kit can take up to 20-30PSI if i remember rightly.

Will be purchasing a kit for mine my self once i have the m3 kit stuck onto the body work and freshend up the rust spots ect..

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Majestic View Post
    you will need to change the front springs in your suspension if you chuck in a 6 cylinder engine, as they are much heavier and it will sag on those old 318 units...

i reckon yer best bet is to nitrous it. much cheaper than a turbo, and with the same kind of power gains. get the engine checked for good compression b4 doing any turbo/nitrous upgrade as they can go pop pretty easily.

go for it man!
    however nitrous is illegal on the public road so cant really show that off much.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    personally I would go the engine conversion route unless your block is strong enough to handle the turbo.....Put in a 325 block and you'll get the same result as putting on a turbo without the worry of it going boom...Insurance wise there'll be no difference either as you'll have to state you've turboed it,then again many companies don't like these kind of MOD's and may refuse to insure you anyway

Car Details
    Millssta's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StK View Post
    personally I would go the engine conversion route unless your block is strong enough to handle the turbo.....Put in a 325 block and you'll get the same result as putting on a turbo without the worry of it going boom...Insurance wise there'll be no difference either as you'll have to state you've turboed it,then again many companies don't like these kind of MOD's and may refuse to insure you anyway
    Thats always a factor aswell when it comes to telling mr ass rape what mods you've done. However if your insurance company likes you and quotes you decent for a turbo convert.. Its a simple fix to sort out blown crusable gaskets with lazer cut metal onces which reduec the risk of blowing.. Obv its a factor of how reliable your engine is first. I'd recommend getting it comp tested before hand or if you feel its a safish engine bolt the turbo on.. as said 10psi boost on the 318 engine is fairly safe without needing injector work and piston & rod rework.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Millssta For This Useful Post:

E36Meerkat (14-10-2009)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    E36Meerkat's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Loving this thread, mainly cos it is what I was thinking of doing when I got my hands on a 318is. Keep the info rolling and shall keep reading!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast