BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1992 E36 325i - US Spec M3 cams good for turbo use?

7K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  captain_chaos 
#1 ·
Hi,

Been looking around and I know that US spec M3 cams are a good upgrade for the M50B25 engine. But would they work well with a turbo'd engine or would they be too aggressive?:rofl

#3 ·
Ah yeaa, good point. And I was just gona put the cams on and leave it untill the engine comes out for a full rebuild when a nice GS-racing snail gets strapped:rofl and I would be running stand alone. Would get some1 who knows what they are doing to map it unlike me. Never done it before and dont wana bugger it up:hihi

#4 ·
The US cams will only further enhance the setup, But the M50B25 can already flow enough to break the pistons and rods. So not really a gain per say unless you plan on going further then 500hp which is in general considered the upper limit of the M50

#5 ·
I dont think i would want more then 500 bhp to be honest. I already got the cams and nearly installed just hit a couple of snags with the inlet gear bolts deciding to strip when tightening to stage 2 of 22 Nm:mad but a trip to the scrappy tomorrow should do the trick as everything is timed up just need the inlet gear securing:thumbsup

#6 ·
Well since you have them install them,

Then when you go turbo you´ll just need to run less boost to achieve whatever powerlevel you want. Which will make said powerlevel more safe on your engine due to the lower intake temps.

#7 ·
ah, i didnt know cams do that:thumbsup i heard about the 3.1 stroker kit that consists of a 330 ci crank, etc on this forum and was thinkin of doin that because i wud get more power from displacement and wud not have to screw the tits off my engine. i want a canny bit of power but safe power:hihi definately want more then 310 bhp as I drove my mate's 350z GT and I am determined to make my car faster then his for less then he payed for the Z :hihi

#14 ·
I have a problem! Can someone tell me why every time I tighten up the inlet sproket to the second stage of 22Nm, it just strip the nut or the pin!? Getting very sick now as I already been to a scrappy to rip a 5 series apart just for them bolts and nuts and same story =[
My engine is the single Vanos and the inlet cog is the assembly without the diaphragm spring. Its the older set up with just a big stop disc.

#21 ·
And on the other note. Figured out the problem with the stripping nuts for the inlet cam gear. Haynes manual states stage 1 - 5 Nm and then stage 2 - 22 Nm.
Well that may be right for the exhaust and the pins but not the nuts. They are 10 Nm even though the Haynes Manual says nuts/bolts and them torque settings.

#24 ·
That´s quite possible :)

The Hx40 I´d go for if you are more interested in street performance although I don´t have hard data yet on the spool time of a HX40 but it´s only 3mm larger then a 35 and the hx35 is easily spooled on a M20 for drifting.

#25 ·
Ah, I see now:) I was wanting the car to be more of a everyday car / mental drifter but I am starting to realise that I would need a second car as it would probably cost me a tenner in petrol just to get down the street once it goe on boost :hihi
Would the HX35 or HX40 fit in the e36 engine bay if I ran a down mounted manifold if you know what I mean hehe:hihi

#26 ·
Yea.

I just fitted a MASSIVE Borg Warner S366 the other day to my E36 in the bottom front mount as you mention and it fits despite it´s insane size as i plan on making manifolds specifically for the HX35 and 40 for RHD E36´s this summer.

Fuel mileage is almost always how you drive the car. so you can only have yourself to blame :)

#27 ·
Yea, I was thinking that a reasonable size turbo should fit. And I would like it to be sitting nice and hidden :hihi although it wont be obvious at all that the car is turbo'd :rofl
How much you think you would be pricing the manifolds?

And very very true! I just try and make excuses about my fuel consumption just to hide the fact that the growl of the engine tends to make my right foot become filled with lead:hihi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.