Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi. i was wondering if its worth putting turbo in my e36 320i 1992. how much it costs and is it worth doing it, which made turbo fits or can i put lets say KKK from audi or some diesel car like Mercedes?. or is it easier to get a 2.5 engine instead not charged? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beating View Post
    Hi. i was wondering if its worth putting turbo in my e36 320i 1992. how much it costs and is it worth doing it, which made turbo fits or can i put lets say KKK from audi or some diesel car like Mercedes?. or is it easier to get a 2.5 engine instead not charged? thanks
    Not worth it mate.
    Much easier and cheaper to get a 325i engine and fit that..

and then turbo that if you still have the desire.

The cost of a turbo conversion depends entirely on:

1/How competent you are at mechanics

2/how good you are at finding workaround to problems

3/ how good you are at finding cheap parts!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    From what i've learned so far, mostly from over the pond at e46 fanatics is,
    There isn't really a base for turbos on bmws, to make up all the parts is increadably expensive, ie, turbos run high psi and very high temps, so you need rods and special pistons (as not common, like vauxhalls etc, very expensive) raised steel headgasket, specially made up manifold, turbo, intercooler, injectors maybe. the ecu would need moding, and oil pipe and return would need tapping in to the block for the turbo. etc etc,
    But the bmw engine is apparently highly suited to supercharging, and there are many kits out there that bolt on, increases from 50-100+ hp. and no major machanical skills needed. A kit for mine is 3.5k, and offers me 100bhp at 8psi. a company to look at is

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxfan View Post
    From what i've learned so far, mostly from over the pond at e46 fanatics is,
    There isn't really a base for turbos on bmws, to make up all the parts is increadably expensive, ie, turbos run high psi and very high temps, so you need rods and special pistons (as not common, like vauxhalls etc, very expensive) raised steel headgasket, specially made up manifold, turbo, intercooler, injectors maybe. the ecu would need moding, and oil pipe and return would need tapping in to the block for the turbo. etc etc,
    But the bmw engine is apparently highly suited to supercharging, and there are many kits out there that bolt on, increases from 50-100+ hp. and no major machanical skills needed. A kit for mine is 3.5k, and offers me 100bhp at 8psi. a company to look at is
    http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product18
    Not bad research! but it all depends on what is wanted from the engine.

For example an M50 325 engine will happily put out 500 rear wheel horsepower (600 engine) on stock internals with only a thicker headgasket and ARP headstuds to hold the head on.

Turbos are indeed expensive for good ones.
    The rest of the bits can be put together cheaply if you know what you can use and where to find it....

but buying everything new is v costly and not possible for many BMWs.

however look to the swedes as to how to build super high hp BMWs.... They have got the science down

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostist View Post
    Not bad research! but it all depends on what is wanted from the engine.

For example an M50 325 engine will happily put out 500 rear wheel horsepower (600 engine) on stock internals with only a thicker headgasket and ARP headstuds to hold the head on.

Turbos are indeed expensive for good ones.
    The rest of the bits can be put together cheaply if you know what you can use and where to find it....

but buying everything new is v costly and not possible for many BMWs.

however look to the swedes as to how to build super high hp BMWs.... They have got the science down
    i here what your saying, and nothing is imposible, but at a cost, if this guy is after some good horse poer then there is some superchargers out there that will give a little more than 100+bhp for less hassle than the sorcng of parts needed to turbo. also they is a lot of support out there for the bmw approved supercharger. Can you do me a favour and delete the link in the quote, it wasn't the site i was looking for, i will try to find it though!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    beating's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    allright mates. thanks for the info. is there any other way to increase horse power without the supercharger or turbocharge? im looking at just over 200hp like +20 or +40 hp on stock 2.5 liter engine would do great. i know that exhaust would add some and also air filter. what about the rest? i will be upgrading suspension and breaks aswell.

Banned - Rogue trading thief
    Car Details
    Millssta's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    there are 2 big factors between turbo's and superchargers..

what do you want.. give power to receive power, or direct power..

both setups are safe to use to a certain PSI around 6-7PSI on the v6 high compresion engines. and upto 10PSI on the 4pot high compression engines.

I for one am running for a stock 318 turbo engine running 10PSI aprox 60-80BHP gains.

If you want to boost higher than that then your looking at internal work and injection work.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    the other route, which i'm afraid is also expensive, is the throttle boddies, not to common on bms though! seen them on the vaux scene! They add good power but cost a lot too. after all M cars are throttle boddied!
    4 pots love turbo's as said, but i would stick with superchargers if i was you, they have been used on bms for years, and are seen to be the mod of choice. Saying they take power to give power is correct, but if you get an extra 80bhp on what you have, then are you bothered that it might have been more if you had not used some to drive it! .......... And most turbo applications in standard form are only 50bhp extra, its the tuning on top that gets you the big power! you will not have to worry about the power on a supercharger if you have a big engine, but if its 1.8 or less then you may lose out on top end. as thats when the give power to gain is proved in real terms.

Banned - Rogue trading thief
    Car Details
    Millssta's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxfan View Post
    the other route, which i'm afraid is also expensive, is the throttle boddies, not to common on bms though! seen them on the vaux scene! They add good power but cost a lot too. after all M cars are throttle boddied!
    4 pots love turbo's as said, but i would stick with superchargers if i was you, they have been used on bms for years, and are seen to be the mod of choice. Saying they take power to give power is correct, but if you get an extra 80bhp on what you have, then are you bothered that it might have been more if you had not used some to drive it! .......... And most turbo applications in standard form are only 50bhp extra, its the tuning on top that gets you the big power! you will not have to worry about the power on a supercharger if you have a big engine, but if its 1.8 or less then you may lose out on top end. as thats when the give power to gain is proved in real terms.
    yeh only problem is with vaux' there 4 cyl are good for chargers. there v6s however are crap.. the coolant channels are so messed up and zig zaged the coolant cannot cope and isnt man enough to cool pistons 5 and 6 so resulting is blown gaskets everytime.

lowering the compression on a vaux v6 is the only key really to run a charger succesfuly or run a very low psi which would not be much noticable to be fair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast