BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 E46 318ci Convertable - Speaker Install

48K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  R3uls 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,

I have just replaced my front components in my 2004 E46 convertable with a set of vehical specific Rainbow IQ265.25

These really do sound good and was soo easy to swap for the stock BMW components

Im gonna write up a quick guide of how i done it :)

He is a quick comparrison of new and old woofer and tweeter

So firstly i started by removing the door cards, this was relativly easy there are 5 torq screws holding the door cards in place the loacations are circled and arrowed below,

The airbag badge leavers out with a screwdriver and the cover behind the door handel pops out with a small screwdriver

Once all 5 screws are out you need to removel the black plastic cover where the wing mirrors are, get your fingers under the front closest to the window and pull towards you, once it has popped foward it needs to go up to come free.

The door pannel is clipped in place with many plastic clips, start on the top fron corner and pull the door card away from the door the clips will crack as they come off. Move around the door once they are all poped free the door card will come off in your hand.

On the driverside you need to dissconnect the wingmirror switch. use a pair of long nossed plairs and the plug connector apart

On both sides the door handel needs to be dissconected, it just pulls foward and out and the speaker wire needs to be dissconnected its connected directly into the back of the woofer pinch the clip together and its apart.

Now you have the door cards lose, you can remove the BMW speakers

The wooofer is held in with 3 philps screws and the tweet is held in place by three torqs screws

I used dynamat sound profing on the door card around where the speakers are mounted

Because i used direct replacments they fitted where the stock speakers came from with no adapter plates and no modification to the door card, so they screwed back into place with the original screws

i wired the tweeter and the woffer together through the crossover and taped all the wiring down,

Next i could replace the door cards, i replaced any broken clips that i had broken during removal (you can buy them on ebay)

And re-wired the speakers to the exsiting wiring for now, im gonna amp them soon

Dont forget to plug your mirror cable in

The door card should press back into place with all the clips clipping back into possition. Do the torq screws back up and replac the airbag badge and your all done

See less See more
#6 ·
lol thought you would like it :)

Nice "How to" Sam :thumbsup

Question : Whats the depth of the original speakers and how deep into the door can you go with aftermarket speakers ?

Thanks.
thanks mate,

i put them in the loft last night lol i will jump up there tonight after work and have a quick measure,

i didnt really look at if you could go inside the door but it didnt appear like you could, the speakers are mounted into the door card and sit flush with it. so they dont pretrude within the door at all

the speakers are mounted on to a rim that sticks up by about 1 inch so if you use a dremel or something you could nibble it out and give yourself that extra inch

hope it helps mate

#8 ·
Rainbow UK Stockists

Hi,

Im currently looking round for stockists of the Rainbow IQ265.25-BMW3sCoupe-231588 IQ Line Car Speakers - Im only finding Ray Smith @ £249.99.

Does anyone know of any other stockists or prices? Any recomendations?

I want to give the install on the fronts a go....

Also - What do you do about the rears? Or are you just leaving them as is with the upgraded fronts & sub??

Many Thanks

#11 ·
Great guide Sam, thanks! How do your Rainbows sound? I am desperate for some more mid-range and a little bit more bass. I intend to put a speaker level Amp and Sub in eventually but both of my rear speakers have packed up at the moment which I think is down to an OEM Amp fault so I need to sort that out first.

#12 ·
the rainbows sound very good,
i ahve recently amped them so they sound even better now :)

the bass is good, the mid range sounds amazing, i also have a sub in the ski hatch which sounds goood too,

the oem amps are known to go, there are a few threads on here about it :(

#15 ·
I have exactly the same car as you that I bought recently and I love everything about it except for the poor sound quality.

I found these speakers but my question is (since im quite a noob at this), will I be able to place these and replace the front speakers without drilling holes and all that stuff AND can I also place these in the back (same ones) or do I need other types of speakers for the rear. If so, can you recommend me a good brand and not so expensive speaker?

Alpine SPG-13C2

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/alpin...w-p-23594.html

Or these ones which are 6.5 inch (17 cm) and use a 165mm speaker adapter kit?

Alpine SXE-1750S Component Speakers (17cm, 280w)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-SXE-1750S-Component-Speakers-17cm/dp/B0000WS0MS

Adapter kit
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7640

Thanks a lot!

#22 ·
E46 convertible ski pass fitting 6x9 speakers

Hi to all,
I'm new to all this so looking for help?
I'm looking at putting 6 x 9's in the ski pass area as the rear speakers are not up to giving good bass,
As you know not much room in the rear area for even 6.5 speakers,
Any help please! Also would like to put some photos on my profile any ideas?? Thanks Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.