BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2009 E60 520dse cd mp3 playback

Tags
520dse cdr
2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  redadair 
#1 ·
Ive only had this car a few weeks but tried tinkering with mp3 playback yesterday.

I put a philips cdr in the dvd (sat nav) drive and recognises the content and plays it fine.

However if i put the same cd into the multichanger in the glove box it does not recognise it....

So the question is - will the multichanger recognise any CDRs (any other brands other than philips) or is it just the case that its only the sat nav drive that works with cdrs ?

If its the latter then id rather not sacrafice the sat nav for the sake of being able to play mp3s.

#4 ·
Hmm, dunno what you mean.

I have the six cd changer in the glove box and I have a single slot in the dash (ie the slot for the sat nav) - thats it.

Dont know what you mean when you say "the main audio cd slot". Do you have 2 single slots + the cd changer?

#5 ·
Yeah, I have two slots. See attached pic.

The top one in the pic is for audio CDs you buy from HMV etc. You can burn your own CDs but it has to be output as normal audio (not MP3)

The bottom slot is for sat nav only, it will not take or play anything else other than sat nav dvd.

After (or on) September 2006 all cd slots were made MP3 compatible. So if you had reasonable quality media (ie not a Tesco value CD-R) it would play the MP3 tracks.

May be worth querying the dealer or parts department (with your car reg) to confirm if you have this capability.

Hope I am not confusing the matter.... Red.
PS Yes I have a 6 CD changer in the glove box but it only plays normal CDs.

#6 ·
Thanks for the explanation Red and for taking the time to post a photo.
In my car there is only one single slot in the dash and its the dvd one for the satnav. The dvd drive has 8 buttons underneath that can be programmed to custom functions (like select radio station/audio source or destination).

I dont have that second slot (guess they must have done away with it) and the multi-changer appears not to like the mp3 laden cdrs ive tried thus far (only tried 2 brands tho).

#10 ·
I emailed my dealer about this... According to them its only the DVD drive that reads MP3 cds and as such I would not be able to use navigation whilst listenting to MP3s - Confirms my suspicions unfortunately.

If anyone knows otherwise let me know otherwise I guess this is closed :-(

#12 ·
I would be inclined to think that is a load of tosh.

Would you expect the sat nav to stop working if you listen to the radio or a cd from 6 disc multi changer?

I would drive back to the salesman park in front of the main doors and demand he show how you how the MP3 playback works whilst using Sat Nav :) Otherwise you will hand the car back.

Can you confirm any of the following?
Your sat nav is hard drive based? ie you do not put a nav tech DVD in a CD / DVD slot
Your sat nav actually navigates for you when the radio is on?
Your sat nav actually navigates for you when 6 CD multichanger is playing music?
You can successfully play a MP3 CD in your car ?

Don't be taking any crap from the stealers! A car of that calibre should be able to handle the above!! Red :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.