BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 E46 330ci Alpine unit install

19K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Mems321 
#1 ·
At last i managed to get some time to put the new unit in, there is already a guide on here for installing an aftermarket unit but mine was done a little different as the complete inner bezel was changed to allow the unit to be central on the dash.
Heres some pics and details of what was done..

Firstly, the original unit

Next the removal of the carbon trim

Next the 2 screws that hold the unt were undone and the unit removed

The next part is where things differ from the guide in the "How to do" section
To change the inner bezel the ac unit has to come out as does the centre vents. The ac unit needs a fair pull on it to remove, be careful as when it does come it flies out!
After its removed simply disconnect the 4 plugs, they are foolproof so when it come to re-connection you can't make any errors

Next is removel of the centre vents, again they need a fair bit of pulling, being secured by clips, again they come flying out.
It doesn't have to be removed but its easier to move the vents completely out of the way so the cable was disconnected, again fairly easy after removing the spring retaining clip (see by my thumb on the picture)

When this is all done the existing bezel can be unscrewed and removed.
The new unit had all the adaptors, including the unit to allow for the steering wheel controls.
This was the difficult part as there is a mass of wires, i found it easier to put the Alpine unit into the new bezel and slide the complete thing in, using the gap where the centre vents were to guide the wiring up and out of the way so the unit will go fully in.

Then its simply a reversal to put all the items back in.
Very happy with the outcome as now have bluetooth hands free and full iphone controls.....i forgot the mention the Iphone cable was routed into the glove box and the microphone for the bluetooth was routed to clip on close to the instrument cluster..

And finally....all done

See less See more
#4 ·
The surround and the bezel come complete, sadly only place i could find was direct from BMW, the aftermarket surrounds will fit the existing inner bezel, which is offset so the surrounds are offset also.

#6 ·
Well done Martyn...looks ace!

A big big improvement!! :thumbsup:D;):cool

The only pob you will have now..is wanting to upgrade your speakers etc its like a bug :jaw-dropping:hihi

#10 ·
Hey Martyn

I see you just installed a new system, looks great by the way and a great write up.

I was just wondering it looks like you managed to swap out the head unit without taking off the long carbon trim that runs above the glove box on the left (green colour in your pic), you only took off the smaller trim that is directly above the head unit (red colour in your pic)?

does this smaller piece just pull off and then you slide it out towards the right as the longer piece sits on top of the smaller piece doesn't it?

and does it just click back into place nicely without any rattles.

the reason I ask is I saw the guide on the 'how to section' and it shows you have to take off the long trim aswell.

#12 ·
Hey Zigourney and Seb,

The trim above the glove box only needs to be eased forward on the right hand side and that allowed enough room for the centre section to be removed.
The whole thing isn't that difficult except when putting the new unit in with adaptors and masses of wires.

No rattles at all, all went back together with no problems

#13 ·
Quick Question,

I currently have the Alpine cde 103bt installed in my E46 2001 320d SE Touring, everything works fine with it except for the steering wheel controls.

I did purchase a multi stalk adaptor (flat pin) and patch lead and for it (links below)

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-pc99x33-series-flat-stalk-control-lead-p-8932.html (adaptor)

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/auto...h-lead-steering-control-adaptors-p-15080.html (patch lead)

The garage that installed the stereo for me tried tho link these with the steering wheel controls but said it wouldn't work.

I've been looking again and just wondering if I should either go for a round pin connector instead so either of these following adaptors...

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/series-mini-stalk-steering-wheel-control-adaptor-lead-p-15036.html (Auto leads)

http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/alpine-apfs101bm-steering-wheel-control-p-9377.html (Alpine)

As stated the latter is made by Alpine and specifically for the stereo as stated on the Alpine website.

Just hoping one of these will do the trick as I don't really want to fork out on any of them (esp the Alpine one) if they will then be useless like the one I've already got.

Many Thanks in advance for any response given.

#14 ·
#20 ·
Beaky...Parts used were...

Front facia and inner bezel, only available from BMW (the offset facia's fit directly to the existing inner bezel but this makes the aftermarket unit offset)
Part number B65.90.0.410.495 £56.75

Connecting leads from Autoleads (available from most "ice" shops and ebay)

Patch lead PC99-ALP
Smart lead stalk adaptor PC99-X21
You will also need the ariel lead adaptor, sorry don't have part number for this
(Can't remember prices of these)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.