BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2007 120D E87-N47 - Revs restricting / missing/ backing off

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Alfie_G 
#1 ·
Hi all, wondering if anyone can help.

I have just had my engine changed on a 2007 2.0 N47 120D by a poor indipendant garage. The ECU is from original car. The rail and injectors are from old car and also a sensor which I think was the (camshaft sensor and or rail sensor?) as the new engine wouldn't fire until this was done. As you can tell im no expert.

The car starts straight off. No engine warnings less water bottle empty.

The problem now is the car wont go over about 3k revs under load. You can rev it right up on tickover but when you drive it chokes and backs off. Its like its governed is the best way to explain it. if you let the revs run down you can drive again quite happily under 3k revs.

The engine has no code errors at all now but still is not running correctly. He said they took it out to do live data and it was registering a problem with the fuel starvation? so i was told.

The whole fuel system has been checked from lift pump to injectors which have been taken out fired off and tested. The rail pressure is fine. They are not BMW experts at all so i have found out since and have had the car months and have run out of ideas. Can anyone give them an avenue to pursue Id like my car back eventually.

See less See more
#4 ·
Blocked exhaust or DPF?
If someone has remapped it and copied over the DPF removal, but the DPF remains, it will hold the car back but won't give any error codes.

It's getting increasingly common to see people copying maps between cars without know what they are doing and introducing bits of software that shouldn't be there.
A test would be to remove the DPF if possible and try a quick (and noisy) drive.

You can't go crazy here, as you don't want the hot exhaust cooking parts, but it should be enough to spot if there is an issue.

#6 ·
There is now only one engine code that leads to the pre fuel pressure sensor I think. When I ordered the part it came with 2 tubes attached. I asked the guy that had previously worked on it and he said that when he swapped the engines the newer engine had this tube on. He removed it and put the single tube on off the old car.

The guy working on it now is trying to fin out now if the second pipe was a run off or lead back into the fuel system. Currently at 2 1/2 thousand revs it makes like plinking /tapping and backs off... overfuelling I think!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.