BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Why do BMWs have a distinct sound?

4K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  add 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I was sitting in my BMW and I got myself thinking why do BMWs sound distinct from other cars (especially the older BMWs pre 2000). I know some have 6 in-line engines, but then again a Supra, some old American cars and trucks and some older Jaguars also have 6 in-line engines but sound completely different to a 6 cylinder BMW. I can always tell when there is a BMW driving towards me from the back by the sound of it. It is almost as distinct as a Subaru Impreza or the classic Beetle. This also applies to the 4 cylinder BMWs. They don't sound like other 4 in-line engined cars.

Could it be that there is a different firing order in the engine? Or the way the exhaust system is set up compared to other cars? Or the fact that BMW engine are a slant?

Thanks

#3 ·
TBH I bought mine (325-6cyl) because I have always loved the sound of them.
Whether its at tickover or high in the rev range,they sound like no other car. Smooth as silk too. Legendary lump. Shame on BMW for trying to phase out the 6 cylinder engine.
OK,the latest 320 may produce nearly the same BHP with a turbo:frown but it will never sound the same as a 6 cylinder! End of.....

#4 ·
Yes you are so true! The sound of the 6 cylinder BMW is one of the main reason why I'd pick an older BMW. As I said before, the 6 cylinder BMWs are as distinct as Subarus to me, but without the wild, yobbish, look at my car image! Ever since the 1st time I've been in a BMW which was in my uncle's in South Africa, I fell in love with it. Plus, SA BMWs come with more equipment as standard (i.e. Air Con, Leather interior, at least a 7 button OBC - none of that analogue clocks lol). The same uncle is also hooked since his 1st BMW. e36 325, e39 525, the 5 series after the e39 and he bought his wife an X3 3.0 sport lol. BMW runs in the family!! That 6 cylinder sound makes you feel like a little kid when you press that extra long gas pedal!

#5 ·
That 6 cylinder sound makes you feel like a little kid when you press that extra long gas pedal![/QUOTE]

I liked BMW's when I was a kid and never owned one (because I thought I couldn't afford to!) until I was 36!
Always loved that 6 cylinder sound so it had to be a 6. Sometimes I put my foot down just to hear the noise it makes!:hihi

#19 ·
That 6 cylinder sound makes you feel like a little kid when you press that extra long gas pedal!
I liked BMW's when I was a kid and never owned one (because I thought I couldn't afford to!) until I was 36!
Always loved that 6 cylinder sound so it had to be a 6. Sometimes I put my foot down just to hear the noise it makes!:hihi[/QUOTE]
That's what I do:hihi I try and do that at least once a day:rofl with the window down if it's not raining lol I never get tired of hearing that roar :rofl

#6 ·
I must say - ma old dear got me into BMW's when she had a E36 320i Coupe - It didnt age well low spec BUT that in-line 6 - what a sound!

So I had to get a BMW E36 after I had passed my test and ended up with a 318iS not as good sound - So... I needed more power here comes the E36 328i - I have changed the Exhaust to a M3 and a K&N induction kit and the sound is lovely and not in your face!

#7 ·
not really distinct to BMW other twin cam straight 6's are legendary too like the Jag XK engines but bmw seem to be associated the most with it cos they have stuck with the layout long after everybody else abandoned it for the boring smaller form factor V6 layout...

ide say a straight 6 jag engine at full tilt is just as dreamy...

#8 ·
Reactions: dailydoggy
#9 ·
The sound of any engine comes from cylinder configuration, firing order and crank angle in the case of V's. Any in-line 6 can be tuned via the exhaust to sound just like a BMW does. As DD says, take a listen to any older Jag, E-Type, D-Type, etc and you'll hear a peachy note not disimilar to a BMW.

#15 ·
Another vote for the Jag 6cyl, amazing engine, I'd have it over the BMW 6cy lol!

Does removing the bonnet foam really make that much difference Rumple?

Edit: Wasn't that tank the Scorpion? Didn't it weigh like 8tons and the jag engine got it up to 50mph? All alloy as well? Epic!

#16 ·
I thought that the distinctive (and bloody annoying these days) warble of a Subaru flat 4 came from the design of the exhaust manifold rather than anything inherent with the Boxer layout. I heard that it was possible to 'tune the noise out' by altering the geometry of the pipework... Am I wrong?

#22 ·
#21 ·
I just love sinking my pedal to hear the roar from my 6 cylinder,Defo dont need no boy racer exhaust to make the car sound beta than it is,was talking with a mate 1 day after doing my conversion he was like show me the instal and ofcourse me cheesin :D i was happy to pop the bonnet,ok he drives a piece off french 106 gti pish,i was like hold on till i turn her over and dropped the pedal and offt see the smile on his face with the beast roaring like mad got to love the sound off these engine's top klass

#24 ·
Let me know if it does work and makes it sound like a Jag :hihi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.