BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Wheel refurb issue

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Tiffster 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just picked my wheels up from refurb this morning, looking mighty fine indeed but i have a major head ache.

When i picked them up (literally) the wheel weights fell out :jaw-dropping

Guy was very sorry etc and rebalanced the wheels for me FOC.

Just been out to the van to bring the wheels into the house and the wheel weights have come off again!

Not sure what to do, the weights are a sticky tape type on the inside of the rims, could i glue them on or something with superglue ?

#4 ·
The weights are the sticky type and the surface is brand new lacquer so it should be fine.

I phoned the place that did them and was told to bring them back, apparently they have been having a few issues with them. You'd think they would sort out said issue eh....

#7 ·
I had this with freshly done bike rims. The guy did a great job and polished them before balancing and the weights fell off. I would clear the polish off with a bit of acetone, which the fitter should have to clear the polish. You can then re-polish when the weights have been added :thumbsup

I feel your pain, I was gutted.

#8 ·
That's a thought....

I gave the wheels a clean when i got home as they had a bit of dust on them and i noticed when i first sprayed them the water was beading on the surface so maybe they have some polish/wax on them etc. The water went a milky white when i was rinsing them off.

#12 ·
Well that will be fun to do, the weights didn't leave behind any residue or marks so i dunno where they are meant to go. So it will be a case of put it on the machine and do them one at a time.

Which won't take long in the slightest :sarcastic

#14 ·
Interresting....

Was cleaning my van out, found one of the weights!

Stuck it to the inside of the van on the metal - it will NOT come off! So it appears the weights are fine, it's whatever is on the wheels that is preventing them sticking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.