BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Want a 7 Series

606 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  alinherts 
#1 ·
Hi all

I am looking to buy my first BMW early next year. Kids grown up (but still at home!) so I am looking to realise the dream of a large luxury car for me and the Mrs to enjoy at the weekend and driving around Europe when on hols.

So I am looking to get a 735i or a 745i. It will be in the wifes name and will only do about 5000 miles a year. I am looking to spend between £6000 and £8000 on it.

What do you reckon on the 7 series (2002 ish) and should I be worried if its done 80,000 odd miles?

All advice gratefully recieved!

Cheers
Al

#2 ·
Go for it alinherts!
I recommend a 02\03 730d. you can pick one up for around 7500-8500 if you have a good loook around. Probably will have 100k on the clock but any 3litre engine should have a least 200k in it!

I luv my 7 series. The comfort and ride are excellent, you'll luv it to!! :)

#6 ·
Stick with petrol - better price and the consumption etc isn't an issue with your mileage. Like all large luxury cars, spec. is everything! Avoid manual at all costs (unless they're being given away as they're hard to sell on), poverty spec isn't good so research what are standard and options and make sure you get them (even if you don't want them, they help with resale). The 745 is probably the best value - I think (please check) there are two engine variants: later models (probably around 2003/4?) have the 333 bhp engine, I think the earlier ones 'only' had 285.....assuming you could care less!!

Colour might be important - dark colours generally sell better, but chose what you like! There's loads out there, they're hard to sell so take your time and haggle hard. BTW, don't forget the potential car tax changes in terms of model year?........

#7 ·
yes reliability and longevity are definately what I am looking for.

I agree a petrol model is probably best for me. With regard to car tax, I think that if the car is registered before 2006 then the car tax isnt too bad.

Any views welcome!

Thanks for the input so far people

al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.