BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Using copper fittings to join coolant hoses

Tags
copper
10K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kevin Whittaker 
#1 ·
Strange question; if you wanted to join two coolant hoses together would a copper fitting as used in plumbing work? I mean will it react with the chemicals in the coolant?
If not, are there specific fittings for this type of thing?

#3 ·
You need to be careful using copper pipe because it is smooth with no ribs or lips on the ends, so the rubber hose can blow off with the coolant pressure, a friend of mine had it happen on his kit car and scolded his leg.

Otherwise yes you can use copper pipe, it will be fine with the antifreeze.

#4 ·
That's brilliant.
I didn't put this before as it would have affected the replies but I've done it once before using a fitting with ribs on either end and it worked fine. That car was a complete shed though and I couldn't care less if the antifreeze was reacting with it, I wanted to be sure if I tried it on the BMW though.

I only ask becuase if the pipe I have in mind is a complex peice with lots of other pipes sprouting off it (all one formed peice) so if 90% is fine it would be much easier to just splice in a new section instead of replacing the whole pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.