BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Thinking of getting a 5, any advice

874 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  hard drive 
#1 ·
I am currently considering selling the 3 in the not too distant future, and getting an E34 5 saloon...Im looking at either a 530i V8, or a 540i...Im not bothered about top speed or performance, for me, its all about the noise baby!:cool So it HAS to be a V8 ( any other suggestions of reasonable V8's??? )
Now the 530 is actualy ins. grp. 16...and i have had reasonable quotes on one ( round about £1500) the 540 is a completely different matter though, rolling in at grp. 19 :frown HOWEVER, depending on how long i wait, it may be the more sensible option.

So, does anyone have any advice. Im budgeting about £2K...But have no idea about common faults, things to look for. Or any other words of wisdom:thumbsup

#2 ·
I would go for the 540. Similar MPG but much better performance. They go like stink and sound really nice....:cool

A good E34 540i with a manual box is a bloody quick and capable car. You will not be dissapointed. But be prepared for regular visits to the petrol station...:hihi

#3 ·
I can see your point about the E34 - had one myself. A drop dead fantastic bodyshape. :thumbsup
If you want the looks, (my guess you love the lines of the E34) you'll have to do a lot of searching and spending. The model is quite old and a well looked after shiny one will be hard to find.

Otherwise I can see a car that will soak up money after puchase to stop it looking like an "Arthur Daley special" just because you want the noise.

My advice - E39.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup

Reactions: Nimr0d
#4 ·
As Steve said i would also go for the 540 if you can. Great car that wont let you down and not much difference in performance from the e39.

Ive never had one mate but since i got the 520 ive been doing a bit more searching about them. The 540 had the nikasil problem ( dont know about 530 v8 ) so youd have to make sure its had an engine change.

With what ive read id be looking for a minter for 2 grand right enough. Really well built as well and should last a long time.

Good luck with the search though:thumbsup

#7 ·
^ You'd be looking a long time for an E34 535d :lol

As Steve says, the 540 is quick and an excellent car. However, the one I had a few years ago developed into a bunch of problems very quickly. Maybe I was just unlucky. :confused

Both the 3 and 4ls had nikasil bore linings... but for £2k you should be able to find a circa 100k example with a replacement alusil engine. Some people on here will tell you the nikasil issue is a thing of the past, but its not I can tell you at my own expense! :sarcastic

The 540 had its own front spoiler, and came with leather and wood trim as standard (well, by '95 anyway) but every now again one will pop up with the M-tech bodykit, electric heated sports seats, throwing star alloys etc so if you can afford to I'd definately hold out for one of these.

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup

It'll not be for a while yet, but i figured it would leave me plenty of time to get to grips with what to look for etc.

Yes, it HAS to be an E34..Nothing against the E39's, but they are like the E46's..to rounded for my liking, i like the boxey sorta shap :D

Its watching videos like this that dont help...That noise is so hypnotic :hihi

YouTube - e34 540i with Magnaflow

As long as its got a V8, and is some-what reasonable to insure, i'll be happy :D

So i should be looking for an 540..right, shall have to continue my insurance search :rofl
They dont seem to mind so much with a 530...And the fact its a 5, its kind of an 'Old mans car' as far as they are concerned..i know i can insure a 520 for about £700 FC :hihi...thats £300 cheaper than my 318iS :eek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.