BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Stick with e46 or Go For an M3 e36

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Metra 
#1 ·
View attachment 14674

OK This is my 318ci now i am kinda at my wits end and really looking for some advice on what to buy or not to buy next my budget is 6k.

I was going to go for a E36 M3 Evo however after reading horror stories about the vanos units not being very good and the 6 speed gearbox being a pain from what i could gather the better option would be the 3.0 M3 version.

I just wondered on the difference in performance between the two and if its something your really gonna notice.

The other option was keeping the car i have stick a full m3 bodykit on it get a leather interior and once all that was done do a conversion on it and stick a M3 or 330 engine in it. The only issue there is thats way beyond me and i cannot seem to find anywhere that can do that kind of work.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice really because my brain has melted from thinking about it for the last month and tbh i am still no further

Thanks for any help

#3 ·
really for that money your choice is e36 m3 or 330ci, i had the same choice of cars and went for the 330 because of running costs, sell your 318 cos converting that is a waste of time and money, youd have to replace every mechanical componant, or even better keep your 318 and have a couple of nights with wayne rooneys bit on the side

#5 ·
If you think about it every car has horror stories. The issue with the Vanos and gearbox can be identified by phoning BMW and asking them if any work has been carried out. For that money there are some brilliant examples but also some dogs. do your research and you should be fine, from a personal opinion I will be getting the M3 rather than the 330i.

This should help you - a bit of reading but worthwhile...

http://mukerji.co.uk/category/vanos/

Good luck with your decision.:thumbsup

#6 ·
Vanos issues are way overblown. The 6th gear is also great on the motorway.

I'd take an evo over the 3.0 any day.

The 330 is also surprisingly swift and much more refined than the E36. It's a lot easier to live with. The E36 M3 is very raw and feels ageing in comparison. It has no traction control either so requires a fair bit of care. I'd say the 330 is a much better car but I find it boring.

Both will feel massively different from your 318.

Ian

#7 ·
m3 evo! no doubt! character more power and awesooommeeee! 330ci also good motor and more modern but dont worry about problems they rnt as bad as people make out! think of it this way the 330s will soon be a "old" car and problems will start only thers more things to go wrong! so there will be more problems! go with the m3!

#8 ·
Depends mate.

Firstly, the 330 is a great car - but an M3 is much more special. I'd be happy going to a 330 then, in a few years getting an M3 - but not the other way round.

A 330 will be cheaper to insure and run - and more modern etc. The M3 more raw, rev happy and prestigious - what are your priorities?

With a 6k budget, you'll be able to find a mint version of either. :thumbsup

#9 ·
Well thanks for the responses i thought i would get some help here and i did:) well tbh i like a real drivers car and i do like the sounds of the fact that the M3 is raw.

I prefere to be and feel like i am closer to the car than detacted from it if that makes any sense, i mean i never drive with traction control now anyway i turn it off everytime i get in the car.

I think from whats been said here it might be the case that no one posts a good review much, but lots of ppl post bad ones hense all the horrors storys.

In regards to running costs i am not really that fussed i had a L200 before this i must have got 11 MPG out of it and that needs alot of work.

I have found and M3 Evo i had my eye on for a while i am gonna go get it next weekend and stick mine up for sale in the mean time, i will post some pic's once i get it. :thumbsup

#12 ·
Being a greedy git, I have an E30 325iSE Coupe, an E36 M3 EVO and an E91 330 MSport... Honestly, an E36 M3 EVO is an awesome car, truely.... Yes there are VANOS issues (mine is a bit noisy), yes there is a 6 speed gearbox (mine is great thanks) and yes there are crank issues.... So what, I still have a grin a mile wide...:D

But, don't think they are cheap to own or maintain.... The brakes take a pounding mine needed replacing and they are VERY expensive, bushes need replacing, so do old and tired shocks etc, all cost money... What you get is one hell of an experience and an engine that sounds incredible.:thumbsup

The performance is a bit subjective TBH, below about 4k they drive pretty much like any other six cylinder.... Above it, they go and sound incredible, hence the need for good brakes..

Would I buy another?, hell yes, am I sorry I bought mine (a 6 speed EVO)?, oh no and would I trade an E46 318 for one?, probably.....;)

#13 ·
That was really nicely put tbh kevin:p

The cost of maintaining it is not something i am to fussed about i mean when i think how much i spent getting this 318 of mine to the stage its at now i am probably running about £3500 last time i added it up and that only in the space of 7 months.

I suppose looking back i should have held onto my truck abit longer and just got an M3 outright but tbh if i had done that and not got into the BMW scene and not gone to the meets i would have ended up getting a Scooby or an Mitsubishi Evo.

For that i would not have had it any other way:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.