BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

First Oil Change 325iSE

671 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mark@vorny.co.uk 
#1 · (Edited)
2010 325iSE First Oil Change

I wonder if you can help me please. I have owned BMW’s for over 15 years, mainly 5 series purchasing them at 3 years old. However, my circumstances have changed recently as I have retired and the wife and I agreed to purchase a BMW which we would run for as long as it or we survived :). The main problem is that the car had to meet my wife’s specifications, being

Heated leather seats
Automatic
Sunroof
Estate for the dog
Place for her iPhone

My specifications were simpler in that it had to be a six cylinder and have non run flat tyres. (The older I get, the more comfort I want) :)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after waiting a few months, we could not find a second hand one that met these specs and therefore have ordered a new 325i SE Tourer E91 with the above specs. The dealer has agreed to supply the car with non run flats which saves me changing them.

I have two questions that I would like your experienced opinions on.
1) Do you think it is advisable to do a Break-in oil change at say the first 1500 miles to get any running in debris out of the oil and filter? I know this is something we used to do many years ago at 500 miles but seems to be obsolete now but I think the idea is worth considering.
2) I have ordered a set of mudflaps but I am not paying the dealer £170 to fit them. As I want to paint them the same colour as the car before I fit them, I was wondering if it is possible to fit the flaps successfully without scratching them. Not keen on them being black against a metallic Bluewater car.

I apologise if my questions has been dealt with before but I did a search and could not find them anywhere.

Many thanks for your help.

Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
1 - i wouldn't have thought the oil change would be necessary outside of BMWs plans, but it won't hurt it you want to try it.

2 - Remember, if you get them fitted elsewhere, to make sure they do a good job, as it might invalidate the bodywork / preforation warranty, although you are unlikely to get any problems anyway.

By rights, it would only affect areas right next to the flaps, rust on the bootlid for example won't be unwarrantied because of a change elsewhere on the car.

Use the original BMW fitting kit, and it'll be OK.

It might be tricky to avoid scratches, but if a bodyshop does that all for you, you'll be guaranteed they'll be without defects, or you simply refuse to pay.

#4 ·
Perfect, if there is no drilling, there will be no problems.

You will obviously have to be very careful, a bonnet for example can last for years without a scratch, but as soon as it's off the car, you can guarantee it'll be marked within 5 mins!

The paint is likely to be very soft for a good few weeks, so be careful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.