BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E46 M3 '02 - buying?

Tags
488 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Wrecks 
#1 ·
:cool Chaps finally found an M3 that I will commit too! Would like to know what I need to check to hopefully buy a decent car! Obviously subframe cracks and rear suspension (anyone know a decent independent that can check the subframe, in the Windsor area? ), but what else can I check without being a BMW technician? Cars a manual with sunroof, done less than 65K. Not cheap but then rather pay a little more for peace of mind. HPI/VOSA Checks to make sure car and mileage are real will be done. Any advice will be welcome. Cheers.

#2 ·
Chaps finally found an M3 that I will commit too! Would like to know what I need to check to hopefully buy a decent car! Obviously subframe cracks and rear suspension (anyone know a decent independent that can check the subframe, in the Windsor area? ),
Eyeballs are eyeballs, most of the cracks people miss are easily visible. Some probably because people insist on calling a cracked Axle Carrier Panel "subframe cracks" when it is anything but the subframe that cracks. Redish motorsport how to inspect for cracks on you tube

Also check out you tube for the sound of sheared cam pulley bolts

Also beware light pinking on slight throttle that may denote a head gasket issue between cylinders, if in doubt compression test and or leak down test

No SMG so that is a lot of stuff dodged

Other than that it's a 13 year old car, you should check everything. Put finger over forward facing rear view mirror sensor and check it goes black inside 10 seconds or that;s another £100 for a new glass. Take it for an MOT that's a cheap way to get all the suspension and emissions checked out.

Sign up on M3cutters.co.uk for some helpful and some confusing opinions (like any forum)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.