BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

DPF removal and deletion the rules and the laws...

40K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  Atyn 
#1 · (Edited)
due to the amount of naivety or lies being told by various outfits, or generally being oblivious to the facts here is some facts regarding your diesel car and it's DPF (diesel particulate filter)...

if your diesel car left the factory with a DPF it "MUST" be fitted to pass a current MOT test.

if it is missing its an instant MOT failure...

if it is missing it is road illegal..

if it is missing it invalidates your car insurance..

if it missing or none functioning you are committing road fund license fraud..

if it is missing and in the event of an insurance claim your insurer can and will throw the claim out if it's found to be missing or gutted as it is a road illegal and an undeclared illegal modification in your policy declaration statement..

if you are stopped or pulled over and its found to be missing by either the police or VOSA spot checks etc its a £1000 fine...

if your DPF is detected as gutted (IE:the guts removed) currently all the above still applies bar MOT which is at the moment is a visual check for its presence...it's STILL road illegal and invalidates insurance etc etc...it still maybe detected on the smoke and soot test that it is gutted or missing as it should not smoke at all or leave any soot deposits...

no bonafide garage with MOT and VOSA creditation will remove or gut a DPF as it's road illegal and they would risk losing their VOSA acreditation...

the excuse by saying you didn't know it was missing is not a valid explanation or reason, you are soley responsible for making sure your car is road legal at all times....

Department for Transport, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/61/made

UPDATE: The word is shortly the VOSA and MOT test is soon to be ammended to detect deleted or gutted DPF with a physical test because of the amount of none functioning DPF polluting and vehicle tax fraud happening...

See less See more
#2 ·
DPF Issues

Hello,

I am new to this and what you have put here has answered a lot of my questions.

Do you have any advice for me regarding my current DPF situation as I am new to these filters please.

I bought A BMW 330d MSport E91 2006/56 Tourer with 100k on the clock, the car was fine for a couple of weeks and not the DPF light shows on the car.

I went to a local garage to ask about this and they have said they will need to clean this with a DPF/PAF Solution and the Jet Wash this..........(Sounds odd)

I am aware these are not cheap to replace, I just really need some advice on this so I know what is best to do please as the car is immaculate and I dare not go anywhere in case it goes into safe mode.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere I am just desperate for some sound advice from people who are in the know

Thanks in advance

Baldy_Bradders

#4 ·
In short,short trips to the school and such will clog up the dpf which needs long linear throttle (motorway trip)to regenerate.So if you do mostly short runs then take the car to the motorway and watch for when the idrive tells you that regen is complete.

Reactions: Baldy_Bradders
#6 ·
Ok my bad,im not fully versed up on the way the modern car will tell you that a regen is needed or about to take place or is taking place or even indeed if the car will tell you at all,but with software you can force a regen.

Reactions: Baldy_Bradders
#14 ·
Lol my bad dailydoggy

Unless it's a e90 335d or e60 535d and your looking for the most out of it

I've found most of these so called tuning company's that recommend removing the Dpf can't get that much more power after Removing the Dpf and are taking customers for a ride let alone the smoke the car makes

#15 ·
My F11 is coming up to 80K miles so will need doing soon, but I do a lot of motorway driving. The best way to regen them legitimately is to use a company called Ceramex, who do all the lorries and buses and ambulance vehicles etc. You used to have to do it direct but they now work through Unipart and do a lot more domestic work, for obvious reasons. Here's the link Ceramex - Ceramex – Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) cleaning services and technology - just type in your postcode and it should come up with a garage near you. The service has had a lot of good reviews, e.g. on Honest John How can I fixed a blocked DPF? | Ask Honest John | Honest John.

#16 ·
So here's a question.

I have a 2005 diesel and some models were fitted with a DPF filter and some weren't. So firstly, in this case how do you know if one should be fitted given the same model has different specs.

And secondly, I was looking to switch my DPF for a mid section without one (Earlier mid-section) and have the ECU re-mapped for the loss of the DPF and I assume adjust the emissions.

How would this work ?

Cheers

G.

#20 ·
no remap is going to reduce DPM (diesel particulate matter) and in truth any BHP and torque remap will prolly increase it! that is what the DPF is there for to catch and reburn the DPM..if the car came with a DPF from factory (euro emissions law) it has to have it fitted to be road legal or pass an MOT..

#21 ·
So does that mean all Diesel cars after a certain age are fitted with DPF filters ?

Also, How does this work for cross over years i.e. some cars (same model and year) are fitted with a DPF and some aren't ?

I'm sure the answer will be if it came fitted it has to have one but what about the older models ? do they have less DPM or are they exempt ?

Cheers

G.

#23 ·
Also, How does this work for cross over years i.e. some cars (same model and year) are fitted with a DPF and some aren't ?
The motor vehicle constructions and use regulations tend to specify such things with two criteria, cars registered on or before <date> or built on or before <date>, hence there are very specific dates that will relate to your car but allow for a car built before the date concerned to be sold as old stock without it being an issue.

#22 ·
europe made DPF's law in i think 2009 dont quote me but some manufacturers inc BMW fitted far earlier and before it was enshrined into actual law to get that euro emissions compliant badge so they could sell with cheaper tax and credentials...

if it had a DPF when it was built it has to be fitted regardless of the cars year. otherwise it's road illegal and insurance voided..

#24 ·
From what I've read I'm supposed to know when my car is doing a regen. ie its described as holding higher revs (auto box obviously) and a certain burning smell is emitted. Is this generally correct? The 70mph motorway speed limit means about 2100rpm in 6th so its probably done it then and I haven't noticed and the iDrive system hasnt "told" me. Should I be concerned the DPF is missing? I'm going to try looking for it now.....

#25 ·
To put my ten pence worth in

my E60 530d AUTO was chipped and DPF removed recently

Does really well now .... it was just chipped by a 'friend' origionaly and i had a nightmare

Basically car started to slow down (clog up) and loads of messages etc ....basically the DPF was getting blocked and not regening

i had a lot of pain trying to find anything definitie as to what would cause a DPF regen ....this is what i found

Thermostats were knackered ... car wont regen if temp is too low ...... new thermostats fitted

Car still wouldn't regen ...... ok Glow plugs fault and glow plug controller ...... new controller fitted (fiddly little bugger to fit) ..... no glow plug messages now ..... still wont regen !

If the DPF gets too blocked and the pressure signal is above a certain limit (ie its blocked too much) then the car wont regen even if its got good Temp and good glow plugs

so DPF was removed (well internals removed i mean)

Smoke ???? ...... not really for normal driving and only a puff when booted for the initial foot down then it settles down .... and its not tonnes just a puff

but pre DPF removal it never puffed at all even on full boot

Car was chipped and rolling roaded by MOREBHP Crewe ..... they were 'OK' buyt they were local .... paid 400 quid for it

car had a few more problems (not related to the chipping) but these are sorted now ...... so happy days

Whats it go like ?? ..... well its definitely quicker and pulls a lot harder ..... not much difference on straight acceleration (well a bit) but its more midrange etc

I recently had a standard 2015 - 530d msport AUTO hire car for 2 weeks (wife's cooper s back in the garage AGAIN .... 5hite don't buy one) ...... and this was a fair bit quicker than my chipped 530d .... just thought i would throw that one in .... think it was a lot to do with the gearbox change which is rapid

I have a E46 M3 as well and my 530d is much quicker around the doors .... the M3 you have to rev out to make it really go ..... And that 2015 530d would batter my M3 all over, brakes, handling etc !!!!!!!

currently driving a 318d brand new 700 miles on it as the wifes Cooper Shite is at BMW again this week ..... this goes well too, driven flat out it would give a standard 530d a good run for its money .... the 530d would have to be 10/10ths to pull away from this driven flat out.

My cossie 4x4 woudl piss on the lot of them though :hihi

#26 ·
I am sick of sitting behind diesel cars chucking out bellows of black smoke. It's usually Audi drivers who we know are the most ignorant (in my view anyway) and BMW drivers. For the sake of a few extra BHP you have a device removed which is there to remove seriously harmful emissions from your car.

I hope everyone who does this without a care for anyone else crashes their car (causing no harm to anyone or anything other than themselves) and finds they are uninsured and absolutely liable for everything.

I am a life long petrol head and love cars, I love diesels for their immense torque and drive a 330D myself so I am not a diesel hater.

To everyone who has had theirs removed and everyone thinking about it, please get a life and consider others not just yourself. If your car is too slow with sensible tuning buy a faster car!!!!!

#27 ·
I am inclined to agree with Eastsoutheast - quite apart from the legality aspect - which is of course important, removing a piece of kit which cleans up all the carcinogenic soot from a diesel vehicle is very antisocial and selfish to say the least.

Yes the DPF's are a PITA, pernickety about when they will, and wont regenerate, and what perameters need to be met for it to regen, but they do serve a valid useful purpose. DPF's can be cleaned, which is considerably cheaper than buying a new one, I think my own DPF may well benefit from a thorough clean soon - my car has done 146,000 miles, and I don't do the best journeys to keep it clean.I do try and help by adding a DPF cleaning agent in the fuel every month or so, which seems to be helping. My car does regen every few weeks, and the DPF back pressure is not to bad - 35Mb at 2,000rpm, the last time I checked it.

There used to be a firm called DPFgenie based near London, who used to bake them at high temperature to clean them, but they seem to have disappeared, I have investigated Ceramex who seem a decent alternative, the biggest pain is being without the car for 2-3 days whilst the DPF is away being cleaned, as I live out in the sticks with next to no public transport!

#28 ·
It still amazes me how folk see the DPF as this barely understood mystical device fitted to peoples car that they can't unlock it's secrets on how it works or how to maintain it.

3 things are required;

1. Working thermostats, so the coolant temp can reach at least 80c.
2. At least 10 litres of Diesel in the tank.
3. No "clogged DPF" fault codes stored in the DDE. A stored DPF fault code will halt the regen process.

Thats it.

#29 ·
Thank you Mcbonio for putting that so simply, as so many people don't seem to have a clue about regens, and the whys, and wherefores!

As you rightly say, it is a simple enough process - a diesel chucks out soot during the combustion of the fuel, the DPF collects this and stores it, until it reaches a point where it needs to be emptied. The car has various sensors that judge when the DPF requires emptying, and initiates a regen - providing the parameters Mcbonio says above are met - these are necessary because the regen cannot take place satisfactorily unless they are met. If the car doesn't regen, things move on to the next stage, where the DPF becomes more and more full, and will eventually become blocked, which has a detrimental effect on the turbo, the performance and the mpg, and is best avoided long before it reaches that point, as cleaning will be required. It is easy enough to check whether the thermostats are working properly, with a hand held scanner, such as a C110, which is cheap enough to buy, and simple to use. I check the appropriate readings on my car every month, it only takes 5 minutes.

I can always tell when my car regens, as the exhaust note changes, and gets quite "boomy". As far as I know, my car doesn't display any indication that a regen is taking place, or if it has finished, all I can say is that I have never noticed anything displayed!!

As I mentioned in my last post, my car has done 146K now, and I guess that a thorough clean of my DPF would be a benefit clean out the soot and the ash that collects as well. The Ceramex website makes for interesting reading, and is very informative too. As some of you may know, you can buy aftermarket DPF's - Eurocarparts supply one, at a not unreasonable price, but the question is - how long will it last? I think I would be right in assuming that it wont be anything like as long as a genuine BMW DPF, which I suppose is OK if you don't keep your cars very long, but not so good if you plan on keeping it longterm.

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket DPF, who cares to comment on whether they last or not?

#30 ·
Lets face it the DPF is a pain in the ass for lots of owners on here there are so many posts asking for help which are down to the DPF blocking up.
Ok that's not strictly true as the root cause is mainly the thermostats and glow plugs or just the fact that the E 60 doesn't have a temp gauge so it's difficult to tell if your temps are good.

And lots of owners don't know if the DPF is regenerating until it's too late why is it so difficult to know what condition its in mine has blocked twice and the I drive didn't come up with any warning.

Having to check with a scanner or buying additives to keep it in good condition is ridiculous.

I hate having a DPF and fear it will cause me problems all the he time so I'm not surprised so many people get it removed I just hope the latest DPF's are better and more user friendly

#33 ·
Route cause as you call it is people buying them and trying to use them as purely urban machines where they will never ever get a chance to meet regen criteria, then they remove the DPF as a rather slipshod get around the problem, and end up polluting and choking where everybody lives breathes and works while committing the original list of frauds and criminality in the beginning of this post...

whose to blame? it's 50/50 the manufacturers for being vague and dishonest at poiint of sale of such machines cos they can sell them easy on the MPG and tax and owners for thinking they can get around it by just removing or deleting the DPF afterwards...

#32 ·
Your in a potential world of trouble and expense if you get rumbled, you would have to source another DPF get it fitted and hooked up then find somebody clever enough who maybe be able to restore ya original BMW DME map at a price which is 50/50 wether its possible or not depending on the cowboys that did the deleting and savaging of the various code and data etc of ya original BMW map..Worst case it would be a new DME....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.