BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

DPF removal and deletion the rules and the laws...

40K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  Atyn 
#1 · (Edited)
due to the amount of naivety or lies being told by various outfits, or generally being oblivious to the facts here is some facts regarding your diesel car and it's DPF (diesel particulate filter)...

if your diesel car left the factory with a DPF it "MUST" be fitted to pass a current MOT test.

if it is missing its an instant MOT failure...

if it is missing it is road illegal..

if it is missing it invalidates your car insurance..

if it missing or none functioning you are committing road fund license fraud..

if it is missing and in the event of an insurance claim your insurer can and will throw the claim out if it's found to be missing or gutted as it is a road illegal and an undeclared illegal modification in your policy declaration statement..

if you are stopped or pulled over and its found to be missing by either the police or VOSA spot checks etc its a £1000 fine...

if your DPF is detected as gutted (IE:the guts removed) currently all the above still applies bar MOT which is at the moment is a visual check for its presence...it's STILL road illegal and invalidates insurance etc etc...it still maybe detected on the smoke and soot test that it is gutted or missing as it should not smoke at all or leave any soot deposits...

no bonafide garage with MOT and VOSA creditation will remove or gut a DPF as it's road illegal and they would risk losing their VOSA acreditation...

the excuse by saying you didn't know it was missing is not a valid explanation or reason, you are soley responsible for making sure your car is road legal at all times....

Department for Transport, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/61/made

UPDATE: The word is shortly the VOSA and MOT test is soon to be ammended to detect deleted or gutted DPF with a physical test because of the amount of none functioning DPF polluting and vehicle tax fraud happening...

See less See more
#36 ·
Hi

I want to have a dpf fitted back on to my car. I realise removing was an error for the many good reasons above. I am also thinking g of selling the car in 3 or 4 months.

Any recommendations on a dpf supplier and someone to remove the dpf delete from the ECU please.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

#37 ·
We have had a lot of people come to us with a second dpf so we could fit the second hand dpf put the ecu back to standard (even if it's been obd locked by these so called tuners so the ecu bricks when you use a dealer tool to update the ecu) then prove and fix why the dpf did not regen in the 1st place

Jason bw
BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
Dyno Dynamics rolling road
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs
New and fully refurbished BMW Ecus and Cas units
BMW Keys made and cut same day
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used)
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal

Try some of the well known bmw breakers for a replacement

Or if you send me your vin number I'll have a look at what we have in stock

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

#40 ·
I was stuck in traffic behind a 16 plate Mini Cooper D the other day and I'm sure the DPF had been removed. The car was all sooted up at the back and chucking out nasty smelly black smoke. Had to shut all the air vents.
People can be so selfish.
I wish the government would change the MOT process to check for DPF removal.

And there are still loads of companies offering DPF removal services. How is this legal?

#49 ·
Plenty of DPF goons out there and on here who were warned sometime ago on what would be coming but it was met with sarcasm, outright dismissal and i don't care a jot at the time...

Think the plod and VOSA will be looking closely for any garages that fiddle it but it's a dodgy one to fudge cos the smoke or dirty tailpipe is the instant giveaway...

#52 ·
My old schoolmate and his father own an MOT garage and he sez your in a whole world of trouble if ya get caught by VOSA doing iffy MOT's. Like he sez the news spreads fast on the jungle telegraph if a garage is nonchalant or easy going on iffy cars and MOT's so it is self defeating the customers you rely on will doom you sooner or later with their pie holes...

#53 ·
Tin hat on. Am i the only person with sympathy for someone who removes the DPF on a car worth about £2,000, instead of paying the garage's £1,400 quote for a new one? As the UK puts out 0.9% of the world's pollution and as 3 other countries between them put out over half the world's dirt and they, themselves are opening new fossil fuel power stations, is it not fair and reasonable to say, ''i am not scrapping my car, i'm getting rid of an expensive lump of waste of money''?

#54 ·
Removing the DPF makes the car non compliant with Type Approval.

It’s one of the few things that actually will invalidate your Insurance.

DPF tech is not the unknown world it was back in 2006 when the first cars to have them (like the Automatic 1.9CDTi Zafira) had issues because they were new Tech and nobody knew how to deal with them.

But they are actually pretty simple, and the only issues are with the sensors and Ash build up.

Which is why there are plenty of places that can clean a DPF.

Cleaning the DPF is part of the services schedule on Buses and LGVs.

I haven’t had any DPF issues for years.

Biggest tip was to regularly use premium diesel, if any brand, as it keeps everything clean.

Though most people won’t notice a difference when doing 12k miles a year as any reduction in performance or economy will be so slight they won’t notice

If doing 40/60k a year, say around London, you will see the benefit.

I just sold my S Class diesel, 5 years mostly round London and never a single DPF issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.