BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Compact got bumped tonight ...

2K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Finisterre 
#1 ·
sat at junction tonight behind council van and next thing bang car flys back ?? council bloke only reversed into me gets out and says sorry never saw you mate ?? lol no shi* ?? anyway gave me his works details etc and will get them to phone me tomorrow to sort it only damage to mine really is little crease on edge of bonnet and grill surround bit dented in . should i go through the insurance and all the chew or just not bother i cant decide as damage is not noticable really ??? if i go through insurance how does it work ??

#2 ·
Theoretically you should not be penalised at all. His and your insurance will talk, his insurance will pay for the work on your car and you will not have to pay excess.
However, I wouldn't be suprised at all if your premium goes up next year even though it's not your fault. Purely because you were involved in a collision. I have heard of several cases of this and it has happened to my fiance when she was parked on the side of the road not in the car!! That was AA and they TRIPLED the cost the following year! Never been with them again and never will!

#23 ·
I had the same, someone hit my parked e36, admitted liability and things got sorted however come renewal time I had a shock I phoned up and queried it and was told well you did have a claim this p88sed me off she realised what shed said and covered herself saying of course this wasn't your fault and your not being penalised to late I was off, while we are on the subject I'm amazed at the amount of people on here that stay loyal to a insurence company, I change every year tbh I go with not the cheapest but what suits me, except aa I'd never put money into that organisation again

#3 ·
Well its his fault so they'll go through insurance because its council and they go by the book :hihi

I had an accident like this before, few years ago. 4x4 reversed into my 106 lol Looked like it was a right-off but I fixed it up after getting paid from the 3rd party. I told my insurance even though I didn't claim, they still fondled me the year after...

#17 ·
One of the really nice things about owning cheapish old cars.
Not bothering about the odd ding and scratch.
I wouldn't spoil the laidbackness with an insurance claim.
OY! Compared to some of your cars mine is a cheapish old car :eek . Feels anything but that to me though. every scratch and mark ticks me off big time, and dont get me started on UK car parking spaces. All painted for smart cars from what I can see.

You could have said, the nice thing about having a flash new top of the range car is having the money to be able to fix things without insurance :lol

Joking aside, What is the definition of a cheapish old car?

#11 ·
iam bothered about scratches and dents etc as car had non before...its the chew of sorting the insurance stuff and being stung for a non fault claim next year when it comes to renewal that bothers me..

#15 ·
about 3 years ago i was reversed into,guy got out said sorry,didnt see me,phoned his work,gave me work insurance details,said his fault.
to cut a long story short,he said it was me that hit him to the insurance company:eek, as no witnesses,had to take a 50/50 claim,cost me £250 excess:mad:mad

#18 ·
Some years back I had a shunt and the guy admitted fault and gave me his insurance details. I contacted his insurance company and told them I was claiming as an innocent third party. They winged at first but finally paid me a cheque on production of a pro forma invoice from the repair shop who were going to do the repairs. My insurance company were not involved, so it's worth you trying.

#20 ·
spoke to them today and they wanted my insurance details to sort it so i just said i dont want my premium etc going up due to this so will just leave it as is ?? sick about loosing out but car should be getting some paintwork on bumpers etc shortly so a bit more wont hurt that much lol..

#29 ·
thanks for offer mate but as said damage isnt noticable really ... and as for keeping old cars running etc :thumbsup i should be picking a 1993 325i saloon up tomorrow with 86,000 miles on clock :thumbsup just need to decide what to do with it ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.