Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Ok few newbie questions as this is my first bmw purchase

Buying a 52 plate 316 ti se

Oil light is on and the previous owner is telling me its just a 'clogged sensor' which he will happy get fixed before I buy the car is there anything i should check else regards to the oil?

All the interior trim is peeling quite badly inside, but only around the gearstick, driver doors etc are these easy/cheap to replace?

The exterior trim is black and i much prefer the colour coded trim and door handles etc how expensive would this be, and what places provide this service?

Finally anyone know of any common faults i might be oblivious too

THANKS! sorry for all the questions, and ive tried to search these things but there doesnt seem to be many 316ti owners on this forum!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    baderlfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    Firstly there's loads of E46 compact owners mate, infact there's a "social group" for E46 compact owners..

Dodgy oil sensor isn't uncommon.. obviously check the oil, if it's got oil upto the max bar on the dipstick then yes it's a dodgy sensor, not expensive to get resolved.

With interior trim a lot of people tend to strip it and re-paint or vinyl wrap it anyway.. so on a quiet weekend you could easily do that yourself at home with a couple of rattle cans or a roll of wrap from ebay etc.

Exterior trim just needs to be colour coded, something you may be able to do yourself if you know your way around a rattle can.. they just need to be de-textured (rubbed down so they are smooth) and sprayed.. any body shop will do it reasonably cheap.

Plenty of common faults with the N42 engines in the 316ti's.. most of which can't be checked easily though.

Main ones are camchain guides and tensioner issues (the guides are plastic and commonly crack resulting in big repair bills).

Valvetronic units can fail, they will tick loudly and constantly if they are failing.

Obviously check the things you'd check on other cars such as looking for accident damage, check suspension/brakes and look for coolant/oil leaks.

I had a 316ti for 18 months without issue
    E46 325ti Sport
    Lowered 50/40 on Weitec springs
    18" staggered BBS RS-GTs

Pioneer MVH-8200
    Focal Polyglass 5.25" 130VB components
    Alpine MRP-M650 Monoblock with Alpine Type R 10"

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,847 Times in 3,753 Posts
    i wouldn't bother a crap and problematic engine..
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    jeromegrant's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baderlfc View Post
    Firstly there's loads of E46 compact owners mate, infact there's a "social group" for E46 compact owners..

Dodgy oil sensor isn't uncommon.. obviously check the oil, if it's got oil upto the max bar on the dipstick then yes it's a dodgy sensor, not expensive to get resolved.

With interior trim a lot of people tend to strip it and re-paint or vinyl wrap it anyway.. so on a quiet weekend you could easily do that yourself at home with a couple of rattle cans or a roll of wrap from ebay etc.

Exterior trim just needs to be colour coded, something you may be able to do yourself if you know your way around a rattle can.. they just need to be de-textured (rubbed down so they are smooth) and sprayed.. any body shop will do it reasonably cheap.

Plenty of common faults with the N42 engines in the 316ti's.. most of which can't be checked easily though.

Main ones are camchain guides and tensioner issues (the guides are plastic and commonly crack resulting in big repair bills).

Valvetronic units can fail, they will tick loudly and constantly if they are failing.

Obviously check the things you'd check on other cars such as looking for accident damage, check suspension/brakes and look for coolant/oil leaks.

I had a 316ti for 18 months without issue
    Thanks exactly what i was after, cheers

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    baderlfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    No worries mate.. if you need any advice on E46 compacts PM me..

What DD says is true to an extent but there are plenty of people like me who have had no problems at all with them engines.. a large amount of luck involved like with a lot of cars
    E46 325ti Sport
    Lowered 50/40 on Weitec springs
    18" staggered BBS RS-GTs

Pioneer MVH-8200
    Focal Polyglass 5.25" 130VB components
    Alpine MRP-M650 Monoblock with Alpine Type R 10"

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Hudson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316Ti SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    I have one, a 2002 and its fine, the plastic trim on mine was worn and i replaced it easily and cheaply, got the bits from BMW direct, really easy and only 10 each for the door trims. I have read about the issues with the engine etc, mine seems fine for now, but like all cars they can all go wrong without a moments notice. Good luck on your search and for just general driving they are fine.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    marcosharko's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    why not try the 318ti - bit more power, something like 143bhp I believe. small car + lowish weight + RWD + 143bhp = starting to be a fun drive!!!!