BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Active Aerodynamics 318i lci ????

1K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  lee_h 
#1 ·
Does the 318i LCI 58 plate have the flaps behind the grill that open when the car is warm (active dynamics) ? as mine seems to have but they are always closed even when warm, wondering if the car has had a new bumper with the a/dynamics before i got the car, maybe for another spec or somat

cheers

sie

#6 ·
It's not a stupid comment at all, as far as I know they open and close whilst driving so that would be the only way to check if they are working whilst driving.

Have you looked in your handbook to see if there is any way to test the functionality whilst stationary?

#8 ·
Got crap Internet connection here on my phone, forum just about works, if nobody can come up with anything for you I will have a dig around tomorrow when in front of a computer but I was under the assumption the flaps were located in the kidney grills and not on the grills in the bumper

#9 ·
From what I have read the flaps are in the kidney grills, according to BMW they only open when cooling air is needed, so they remain closed until the radiator and engine needs cold air then they open, once it has the air it needs they then close and reopen when more cold air is needed etc.

#13 ·
This what BMW say about it

Active Aerodynamics
At the beginning of a journey, your engine needs more fuel when starting from cold. So to help ensure every trip you make is as fuel efficient as possible, Active Aerodynamics automatically closes the air vents to help your engine reach its operating temperature faster. This also helps improve aerodynamics, reducing air resistance to cut your fuel consumption even further. The vents are only opened again to allow the breeze to flow through the engine and braking system when cooling is required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.