BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

318is cutting out and rough idling

630 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bmw320d se 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me as I need my car ASAP. I have owned the car for about 3 months and it has never been a problem, recently it has felt a little slugish but today it started throwing a fit. Got in the car this morning to go to a meeting, started it up and let it warm up as I sorted out the tomtom. It just stopped? So I started it again and it struggled to start but when it bid it stalled again but sounded very rough.

I cancelled the meeting and drove the car 5 miles to a friends garage. On the way it was a nightmare! It kept cutting out for a split second like there was no fuel then back fire but the engine didn't stop and then started again. It did this lots on the way in and at the round about stalled completely and was a little hard to start again.

When I got it to the garage it stalled again and I coasters into the garage. When I explained what had happened he asked me to start it up and with a couple of cranks it ran fine and never missed a beat :(

As I am fairly handy with cars he said to drive it back and check the following...

Split intake pipe - there was a little slit in it so taped it up for now.
Damp ecu - I have had the ecu out and it is dry with no signs of damp anywhere near it.
Spark plugs - they look clean, fine and are Denso's so have been changed recently.

Is there anything else I can check or does anyone know what the problem might be before I take it back to him? I have a meeting on Monday and fly to Monaco for a show on Wednesday and need the cars for both events :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Best place to start would be a diagnostics to see if any fault codes have been logged, especially if you want it back on the road asap. the codes will pinpoint the exact issue :thumbsup

Reactions: P10GE_U
#3 ·
diagnostics definitely, but if you have checked your plugs and they're clean then it isnt to do with fuel delivery.

you say you have changed spark plugs, guessing they're the right ones did you do the leads? it sounds like you have an electrical fault, im feeling the alternator

#4 ·
Cheers for the replies, I have just got off the phone with woods BMW and I'm about to take it into them and get it checked. Hope £61+ vat is money well spent!

Edit: just got back and it's the cam position sensor.

Costs so far:
Diagnostic check - £61+ vat
Cam position sensor - £64+ vat

The sensor should be here in the morning and it's booked in for the work tomorrow afternoon. How long do you think it will take to fit?

#6 ·
Winner! Just got back from the test drive after fitting the sensor and it's all sorted and drives like a dream!

It was really easy to fit and as said the inlet manifold needs to come off and its the plug closest to the front bumper. Hope this thread helps others and gets them on their way. :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.