Yet another newbie to the forum!!

Notices

Thread: Yet another newbie to the forum!!

Reply to Thread
  1. Yet another newbie to the forum!! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Hi guys & girls,

After many sleepless nights deciding if I should move to something economical because of fuel prices, I finally decided to sell my pride and joy! It was a very hard decision, but I'm pretty certain it's only going to get worse for fuel prices and with the amount of miles I do every year it had to be done.

My previous car was a Porsche 911 Carrera 2, one of the older aircooled 964's. I had it for 3 1/2 years and loved pretty much every minute of it, although the bills were frightening at times! For the first couple of years I used it everyday, but decided in the end that winter wasn't doing it any good at all and it was clocking up the miles way too quickly. I ended up buying a runaround for work, which obviously meant 2 lots of insurance and running costs etc. Now, with increased living costs and fuel prices etc, I just can't do it anymore so the 911 had to go - a very sad day.

I decided my next car had to be a diesel, and I've always really liked the 3 Series Coupe so I figured I'd go for a drive in one. The one I was looking at was a very nice 54 plate Silver/Grey (not sure what BMW call the colour?) 320cd Sport with black leather. It's done 70k, but you wouldn't know it to drive it, and is almost spotless. I liked it so much that after giving it a fairly good look over, I bought it and drove it away. It's obviously nowhere near as quick as the Porsche, but for a car that averaged 53mpg on the journey home, its very impressive and an extremely nice place to be when driving. I'm also very impressed with the way it sits on the road, it feels very stable and the steering is very nice and direct too. I've never owned a BMW, but my dad has and I've always enjoyed driving them. So far so good!

My only complaint (and its fairly small one!) is that the stereo isn't as good as I was expecting. It doesn't have the stereo upgrade, but that's probably a good thing as I'm sure I've heard that to upgrade the HK setup is a bit of a nightmare. So, what works well in the coupe? I recently bought a new Alpine CD head unit, which is great for the iPod but I'm not sure it would look right in the dash. Ideally I'd like to keep the standard head unit as it matches the rest of the dash so well, I'm guessing that this is probably the weakest part of the audio in the car though? How have people got on with just changing the speakers? Can you get an iPod adapter for it? Anyone know if the standard CD head unit has pre outs? I'd like to just change the speakers - maybe amped and some kind of iPod connection. What do you all recommend? What are the standard front speaker sizes?

Here's some pics of the new car and the old one.

Jay
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    bigmikeyb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTO
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON
    Thanks
    Welcome jay, your in safe hands now!!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    edler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 - E36
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Welcome Jay.....

It looks like you came out of having to sell off the 911 ok

The BM looks a very nice clean car (as it should be on a 54 plate!)

Im sure some of the stereo gurus will be along shortly to answer your questions.. but the headunit on E46s is known to be a bit of a weak link from what Im told.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Cheers for the welcome guys,

I didn't do as well as I'd hoped with selling the 911, had I sold it last year before all of the crazy fuel prices, I reckon it would have gone for a couple of grand more. Still, I had it for another year and it was worth it!

Thanks, the BM is nice and I'm very pleased with it so far!

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Jay S

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    I also managed to get a brand new set of MV alloys & tyres for the car, although when I got them home I noticed that the wheels on my car are 255 on the rear and 225 on the front, while the new ones were 225 front and rear. I'm not really concerned that the new ones are 225 on the rear as it's not really a performance car. My concern is that they won't look right on the back, will I need spacers for these?

If I decide to sell the originals, how much should I expect to get for them? The tyres are fairly low on the rear but the alloys are pretty good.

I spent quite a while last night trying to get my phone working with the bluetooth, although I'm not covinced it actually has bluetooth now. I do have a car with details of the bluetooth pass key, is there an easy way to tell if it has bluetooth?

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Where did you purchase the wheels from?

Ideally you should stick with the 255/3518. The 22540 18 will have less traction which may prove a little interesting in the wet.

You may not be able to fit the 255's onto the replacement wheels as I should imagine they're only 8J wide. I could be wrong, they may in fact be 8.5J which should be wide enough for the 255.

The width of the wheel (eg 8J) will be stamped in the rear of all wheels.

You may need to purchse spigot rings for your replacements ( if they were not included in the package) so that they sit correctly on the hubs. They may be direct fit, just be sure to check otherwise you'll end up with major vibration problems and worst case scenario is the wheels can fall off.... I've seen it happen.

As for the bluetooth, bigmikeyb who posted further up may be able to assist you on this. If not, i'm sure Boostist will have some info that he can pass in your direction.

DSK
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    DSK's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328i Coupe / E36 M3 Evo
    Year of Manufacture:
    1997/P - 1996/N
    Transmission Type:
    Manual / Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe / Coupe
    Thanks
    Welcome. The 3 series looks nice as does the 911/964. Hope it keeps going well for you.
    Let the fun times roll .....

BMW 328i Coupe - Boge M-Tech Shocks, Boge Turbo Lowering Spring Kit (30/20mm), ATE Power Discs
    Volvo C70 T5 GT
    UK Spec Toyota Supra 3.0ltr Twin Turbo Automatic
    ZX6R J1 Ninja

Tyre Guide & FAQ http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...re-faqs-t1569/

BFUK weekday crew

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Any updates J?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Jay S, nice cars man!