E46 318i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Yet Another 3 Series Owner lol

First BMW in 30 years (I had a 316 of the first model after the 2002Ti, sold my RS2000 and bought the 316...great wee car!) So, after many years of Subaru's, Golf VR6's and Mercs, Caddy's, Audi's, I finally return to the fold with a 1999 E46 318i SE. Not the fastest thing in the world, but plenty for wet Scottish back roads, I do 80 miles a day to work and it manages great mileage so far! The VR6 was £21 a day for fuel to work....eye watering eh? But damn, it made a great noise! Like Chewbacca getting raped by a shark.

Actually on the beemer I seem to have the throttle on the stop bolt in every gear so I think its been adjusted up....have to see what the throttle percentage in at apparent WOT.....

Anyhoo I digress, hope you can welcome me into the club and look forward to helping others where I can.

One question, I have both VAGCOM and OP-COM interfaces, and bmwscan 1.36 & 1.40. It's the blue 409 vag lead, searched a lot but not found a definitive answer as to whether the vag lead will work with what scan program? Or the OP-COM? I have an Auteltech vag405 handheld scanner and it works with my mates '08 118i but not tried it on mine yet (hes having cylinder 4 misfire problems when cold, limp mode, so he's got my scanner to get him going again to get to work). Mine has the EML on but not sure why yet, the nights are too dark and cold to be arsed going out after 13 hours at work and fannying about in the drive so I'm waiting till the weekend.

Good to be here, and nice to meet ya all so to speak

Scott.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    goldbcfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster
    Thanks
    I had a 318ci first slow as fook and seem to drink petrol without having much fun petrol would last 12-14 days on a full £70 tank normal 40 mile motorway commute to work each day plus some weekend driving used to get about 28-32mpg i was worried about going to a 22mpg car but actually running the 330ci £70 full tank last 10-12 days doing the same journeys i now get 22-32mpg i worked it out and its approx £5 a week with the added bonus of its rapid and with 6cyl engine sounds proper ive looked on m3 sites as i was considering that move next but 14mpg does put me off according to owners there still getting 14-32mpg with similar miles range im getting so maybe only another £5 increase per week to run which i am suprised at

£21 a day to run a VR6 seems alot

E46 coupe 318ci
    E46 convertible 330ci
    E46 coupe 325ci
    E85 Z4R 3.0i
    E46 coupe 330ci
    E85 Z4R 2.2i
    E46 convertible 318ci
    E85 Z4R 2.5si

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Scotty65's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 318i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goldbcfc View Post
    I had a 318ci first slow as fook and seem to drink petrol without having much fun petrol would last 12-14 days on a full £70 tank normal 40 mile motorway commute to work each day plus some weekend driving used to get about 28-32mpg i was worried about going to a 22mpg car but actually running the 330ci £70 full tank last 10-12 days doing the same journeys i now get 22-32mpg i worked it out and its approx £5 a week with the added bonus of its rapid and with 6cyl engine sounds proper ive looked on m3 sites as i was considering that move next but 14mpg does put me off according to owners there still getting 14-32mpg with similar miles range im getting so maybe only another £5 increase per week to run which i am suprised at

£21 a day to run a VR6 seems alot
    I know where your coming from mate, but my work commute is 80 miles a day, so a tank in the VR6 lasted 4 days max using up a quarter tank a day. The 318 has managed 3 days to work on half a tank so much better already.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

rm1
    Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    rm1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    VR6's are terrible on fuel as are the 3.2 version that VAG used later the six cylinder BMW's are a lot better. The 1.8 e46 is not the most reliable engine they are very prone to head gasket failure not necessarily what you want to hear but worth knowing.

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    Thanks