BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

WISE CHOICE, BMW 318ti (1996), New to Forum.

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Boostist 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
New to the forum as just bought a BMW 318ti 1.9 16v compact (1996) :thumbsup, Drove it around 50 miles back at night mainly through country roads :eek :D was pleasently surprised with the performance, Has a few modifications as in full stainless exhaust, pipercross induction, lowered (far too much), Mtech body kit, 17" alloys etc, Would love to know some views from you experts on this model and what to check out, Took it straight into a bodyshop for some paint to minor blemishes, scratches, Also have purchased some Mtech staggered 17" alloys which have 225/45/17 on front 245/40/17 on back and would like to know if spacers are needed, I will be spending a few quid on the car so after a few ideas for a few more horses even though the engine is sweet and is quite alot faster than the other compacts I test drove, Any ideas or information is gratefully recieved, Also bought a sparco steering wheel (non airbag) and the boss kit from a different company does not fit the steering column so would like to know the proper number needed if possible, Cheers, Karl.

#2 ·
Hi KJB, I've got that exact model too, I'm gonna see if I can add you as a friend (dunno if you can do that on this forum) and keep track of your progress. I like my car as it looked the way I bought it, and I love the way it drives, so the only mod I've made is an LPG conversion for cheap fuel, which so far is looking to be a sound investment.

#5 ·
Hello Gordon,
Have no idea on how to add a friend as new to the world of forums, Has putting a LPG conversion slowed your ti down as it would be a shame to restrict such a sporty engine, May add a gas conversion myself but the NITROS type, Karl.

#9 ·
Boostist, in my case, could I just go ahead and get a re-map and it would work as well on LPG? Stands to reason that as the engine works on petrol AND LPG, then if it was tuned, I would get similar gains. Also, does a re-map involve a new ECU? And either way, how much would it cost and how much power would I roughly be looking at gaining? Standard power of the car is 140 bhp.

#18 ·
Copy:

Hello Gordon

Thanks for the enquiry and sorry for the late reply. I hope you got the auto
out of office reply advising we were closed for a couple of weeks on annual
leave.

Your car would need a remap which is applied to the car via the diagnostic
socket so we need to be with the car. As you are in Scotland we don't cover
your area due to the distance and travel costs.

Sorry about that.

Kind Regards,

Simon

www.e-maps.co.uk

Well, that's that option out the window!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.