BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Welcome to the introduction forum!

1M views 2K replies 2K participants last post by  G20 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, seeing as a lot of new members are signing up at the moment....(but not posting!) I have been asked to create an introductions forum where new members can create a new thread to say hi and talk about their cars and projects :cool:

See you there hopefully

#814 · (Edited)
Hello I joined here to hopefully have a bimmer in my possession soon but first I need a bit of advice, I am about to trade in my 98 ford fiesta zetec (125k)miles, also needs welding on the anti roll bar and 02 Citroen xsara Picasso (118k) miles mechanically sound, plus £250 cash, for a 2000 w reg bmw 118i e46 the car looks to be in great condition from the pics , it has only had 1 owner from new and comes with a full service history with 12 BMW stamps and mot until July . However it has done 128k . So do you think this is a good deal or am I getting ripped off, many thanks Wayne .

#815 ·
new here ,but long time owner

Hi all new to the forum ,thought i'd start with a hello , ive had my e21 for over 16years , my car is a Alpina C1 (TWR) its silver with the blue stripes ,its been sat in my garage for over 10 years ,in fact i think the last time it came out was when total BMW did a spread on it back sep 2001 ,was having a garage clean out so i uncovered it , and after looking at it for a while. im going to start work on it again , so hoping this will be the place for help as i start the work on getting it going again.

#820 ·
Newbie checking in

Hi all,

just joined the forum so thought I best check in here first, I have just bought my first diesel 3 series, 320d M sport, really the wifes family car, but my first time back in the finest of German engineering in a year and loving it.

I have had a few petrols in past, e36 325 M Sport and 328 M Sport then an e46 M3, I really miss that but hoping to learn abit more info on the e9x diesel and apply some suttle mods :D

#825 ·

Hello everyone I am Rofiqul from Bradford UK, I loved BMW since I was a kid and still love BMW, I haven't owned a BMW yet because money problems but now I am planning on buying a used BMW E46 318-320.

I was looking for a BMW forum where I can ask others for advice on buying used BMW.

#828 ·
Hi

Hello, just joined today...

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and tell you all what we do.

Vanquish Autos Ltd is a car dealership in Peterborough that specialize in BMW's.

I thought this forum would be a great way to share some of what we have to offer to potential customers and to gain some experience of what people want.

Also, from time to time a bit of technical advice could come in handy from you techy members!!

You can visit our website at Used Cars Peterborough, Used Car Dealer in Cambridgeshire | Vanquish Autos Ltd or call us on 01733 236 010

Anyone thinking of buying, or indeed selling a used BMW, please get in touch.

Hope to speak to some of you guys soon!

#829 ·
Hi all, I've has a few BMWs over the years - got my first E46 in November, 2003 316i manual 133k mles, dark green metallic w/ beige leather.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Bmw

She looks lovely, and behaved well during the test drive, but...

Within a day or so I realised that the central locking was kaput, fortunately Colin @ bmwgm5.co.uk was a star, and that was fixed no problem - gm5 module relays were shot.

Not long afterwards the yellow oil lamp came on, so I added oil, but the oil filler cap was a weird split / hinged type, and I didn't re-fit it properly, leading to yellow warning lights on the dash, and oil sprayed all over the top of the engine..

Can't remember if this happened before or after the above, but an intermittent idle fault appeared - during driving, once engine was warm, idle would suddenly switch to oscillating between 1000 - 1500, making driving in traffic very unpleasant. I took the car to a well-recommended indie, who said 'oh no, not the N42...'

£930 pounds later (new pedal module, throttle housing, crank sensor, oil separator, vent hose, connecting pipe, return pipe, rocker cover gasket), I collected it, and a day later the yellow oil light came back on, so I added 1L oil. About 10 mins later there was a smell of hot oil, & the revs went back to bouncing...

To the mechanic's credit it took it back, and took off & re-fitted some of the parts, and kept it for a fair bit of test driving, & was unable to repeat the fault, and the idle has been fine since. He recommended to remove the engine cover, as it impacts on some pipes.

I've had the car back about a month now, and it's broadly OK, although the other day the yellow check engine light came on, and one of the codes was suggested an air leak - I replaced the weird split oil filler cap with a new normal type, and so far so good.

The oil level sender seems to be faulty too, and there is a TOENS fault code to back this up.

The car is eating a lot of oil, I've just added a forte seal conditioner to see if this helps. It looks like there's a leak around the oil filer housing.

I wonder if over-filling, due to the faulty level sender, has contributed to any of the woes?

Performance is OK I think, it's not really enough lump for the weight of car, but it goes nicely if you wind it up.

I'm still stressed every time I drive it, in case it turns on me again.

Phew! Feels good to share.

Any comments welcome, cheers, Jamie

#830 ·
New member.

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2005 320d e90 in good conduction, it has about 110k miles. Im a engineer by trade and love getting my head under the bonnet. I have a few jobs i want to do on the engine, new glow plugs, crankcase breather filter, check swirl flaps maybe fit new ones and full service so i may have some questions for you guys.

Thanks
Stephen.

#831 ·
Hi All

I've been visiting the forum for a while as a viewer and had to sign up. I test drove a 123d a few weeks ago (whilst looking at an A3) and found the BM the far superior car. That said, I don't need a 123 so am looking at 120ds. Always liked diesels and need the economy...and want it to have a bit of punch. I must say though, the forum has nearly scared me off buying one of these with DMF/clutch, turbo and chain issues. It looks like the pre facelift is the safer option and it suits my budget. I could stretch to a post 07 car but then it seems that the N47 is the chain eater and I can do without that headache (especially after owning a 320i some 15 years ago - I took that to a BM indy who sniggered when I asked for a full service and chain change - "they never break" are the words that echo in my mind. Mine did, some 6 months later - new engineand swore never to have a BM again...until my love was reignited!)

Any words of advice would be welcome re the 1 series. I'm particularly interested in how the sports suspension shapes up against the SE. I live in quite a rural area with some very shabby b roads.

#835 ·
Hi all newbie here just thought I would say hello.
I have a ongoing project at the moment it started last year after buyinug a e36 320i touring after saving up a bit of cash I decided to build my self a mtech touring after looking at various parts and prices and knowing my way around a tool box I decided the best course of action for me would be to buy another e36 with all the parts on that I needed.

ORIGINAL CAR
E36 320i touring cost with t&t 350

DONOR CAR
E36 328i se saloon cost £300
list of parts that have been used

Front and back mtech suspension
Front and back mtech bumpers
Full exhaust upto manifolds
Full leather interior (rear seats were a nightmare but got there in the end)
Ignition barrel and locks (mine were broken)
18" mv1 alloy wheels
Glove box ( mine was broken)

So as you can see the cost of all these parts would have came to a lot more than £300 i'am now in the process of geting most of my intial outlay back buy selling the spare cat,full set of mtech alloy wheeels,engine and box,etc etc