BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Welcome to the introduction forum!

1M views 2K replies 2K participants last post by  G20 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, seeing as a lot of new members are signing up at the moment....(but not posting!) I have been asked to create an introductions forum where new members can create a new thread to say hi and talk about their cars and projects :cool:

See you there hopefully

#1,941 ·
Hi everybody! I'm new here. Not new to forums/clubs as my other car is a yank. I've got myself a 2005 E61 535d (for my sins! 🤣) and inevitably have questions about some bits on it. I hope I can help you too though as I'm a mechanic at an independent garage based in Surrey (not BMS if you know them but I'll give them a free plug as they are pretty dang good) so if I can impart any wisdom to you I will.

- Sam.

#1,944 ·
Hello BF BBFs!

54 plate MSport E46 318i (2l) Sport Touring owner here. Been scouring the forum trying to wrap my head around all pros and cons of buying a used F11. If anyone's done a decent (used) buyer's guide, please post a link as I can't seem to find one on here. Or if anyone can advise on the pitfalls to look out for when buying used, that would be ace.

However, the biggest question I have atm is about the adaptive suspension. Youtube vids of the f10/f11 all bang on about how you should really get this option over all others as it plants the car to the road but looking on Autotrader for the last few days at all the offerings with different engine sizes, I can't seem to find reference to it. Is this option listed as something else (does it have a different name) or was it just not something that people didn't spec out due to initial cost and/or cost of future repair?

Cheers!
Max.

#1,945 ·
Hi Max and welcome.

I have a 2013 F11 MSport 530d and I love it. It does everything, it's fast, economical, can carry so much a d it's great at hauling a trailer.
Maintenance is typical and easily done yourself. If like me your planning to put big mileage on it then get ready for the timing chains(x3) which is expensive but lasts about 120-140,000 miles before guides give trouble. Gearbox oil is classed by BMW as lifetime oil which it definitely is not, so change it maybe every 2-3 years. Diff oil is very easy and cheap to do but watch the seals as they tend to weep. Behind the oil cooler the gaskets tend to leak which is not expensive but awkward do doable. The EGR valve get stuck but just requires a greasing of the bearing in the mechanicals and it also tends to cover the inlet manifold in soot. I would recommend taking the intercooler out and cleaning it and around the rads as mine was almost blocked with dead flies and twigs.
Over all they are bulletproof so I wouldn't worry too much, just try get a good service history with it.
You didn't say if you wanted petrol or diesel either. The adaptive suspension, I'm assuming that's the airbags on the rear of the F11 models. They are very easy to overhaul and the bags are easy to change if (when ) they eventually leak as any bag on any car will.
I would also recommend Bimmer code and a OBD2 Bluetooth adapter as they have a lot of electrics and Bimmer code allows a lot of customization of them.
Hope this helps, even though I'm sure I forgotten more thing.

#1,946 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the info Tcon. Very much appreciated!
Until you asked (and I just looked), I was going to go for a diesel as I thought the petrols would be too uneconomical but it looks like the 3.5 and 4 petrols have better economy than my 2l E46! In all honesty I am put off by the potential for my car to sound like a London taxi if I got a diesel (perhaps they don't these days?) but I guess I'm open to either depending on which car comes closest to my spec request and price point.
I may have to do more digging regarding the Adaptive Suspension thing because as I say, I don't see any specific mention of it in the Autotrader ads. I was under the impression (from the few days of research I've already carried out) that airbags were not past of the adaptive system. I think it was the CarWow youtube review that called the option "Variable Damping Control" (or something) also think I saw somewhere that you could buy and download that as and option!...tho maybe I was just a bit bleary-eyed at the time from too much late night computer screen gawping. I'll do a bit more research and if I can't find the answer I'll start a thread about it.
Thanks!

#1,947 ·
I'm not sure of the fuel economy of the petrols but I had an E46 and it drank like an alcoholic on an all expenses paid weekend, so it doesn't surprise me that the F11 petrol can compete. The petrol F11 will be smother and more refined but the diesel has tons of torque. My 3.0l diesel gets 56mpg on motorway and averaging 42 mpg overall. They do sound better than the old diesels once you keep the oil changes regular (6-7k). But diesel is not for everyone either. I would recommend test driving both petrol and diesel to help you decide. But I wouldn't buy the diesel unless you do the milage to warrant it or you plan on doing away with the EGR and/or the DPF. I wouldn't buy a four cylinder because the car is quite heavy and there was concerns about the timing chains and guides.
Best of luck with it 👍

#1,948 ·
Thanks Tcon!
I only do about 5k miles p/year (!) but I am looking at a very nicely spec'ed N47 330d. Registered in March 2011. Have asked for info about timing chain, I gather this would be a model that should have had the recall (or was that just 320d's?). Has pretty much everything I'm after (apart from really annoyingly the paddle shifters). Just done a Car Vertical Check on it and it all looks legit apart from one weird dip in the mileage records (from 129k miles to down to 8k miles a month later but then back up to almost 140k miles a year after that - accidentally badly documented milage?). It's currently on 155k with recent stuff like tyres, brakes and rear airbags done. Looks like airbags are part of the adaptive drive as this has it apparently. It's over 300miles away from me up in North Yorkshire but I'm very tempted!

#1,950 ·
If you only do 5k per year then maybe diesel doesn't suit you. I actually retrofitted the paddle shifters to mine, it's not difficult to do, if it's something you wanted but in all honesty I never use them. The milage dip could be a clock upgrade but I'd be very careful either way. Ask for evidence. I dunno what ULEZ is 😄

#1,951 ·
Haha, it's London ting! Ultra Low Emission Zone. Engine has to be Euro 5 or above to comply to not be charged £12.50 every time I want to go somewhere. Crazily, my thirsty 2004 2l petrol E46 is compliant!

Interesting that you retrofitted the paddles but never use them. I've never owned a diesel or an auto and never intended to, I think I'd miss not having anything to do with my hands for a start but the F11 is such a nice motor I'm considering both, basically cos manual petrols are out of budget. Of course, what I'd really love is an Alpina B5, but let's not go there...!

#1,954 ·
Hi folks. I got it from Ebay. The badge advertised was an F10 but a quick email to the seller and they were happy to send me an F11. Think it was about 30 quid with shipping. Arrived in 7 days i think from this seller:

#1,956 ·
Hi, returning member. Been away after sale of my Z3.
Just bought an X5, E70 xdrive 35i. Lovely car, just a few annoyances being a Japanese import
but I’m sure I’ll work through them with a bit of help.
Anyway, hello and hopefully I can contribute as well as gain knowledge.

#1,959 ·
Hi, returning member. Been away after sale of my Z3.
Just bought an X5, E70 xdrive 35i. Lovely car, just a few annoyances being a Japanese import
but I’m sure I’ll work through them with a bit of help.
Anyway, hello and hopefully I can contribute as well as gain knowledge.
Good to see you back Yorkee

#1,963 ·
Hi Everybody, This is the first BMW forum I have joined the as I am now the owner of a E60 2008 520D with 222000 miles on the clock, and I wish to gain the knowledge of fellow owners as I have a couple of issues that I need help with,
I have joined other Forums before one for the wife's Mazda 6 and one for my Rover 75.
I main issue is the remote locking not working ( i have replaced the key in the fob) still no joy. I believe its down to a issue with the wiring loom in the boot, as my boot release switch does not work from inside the car and the right number plate light is coming up as an error on the dash (even though is works again when it wants). The boot release handle works when it wants and I have tracked down the issue to the loom coming out of the boot hinge. SHe is in the garage getting looked at at the moment.

Any way Hi again.