BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Thinking about buying a 520D Advise Please ??

757 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  matthew_henson 
#1 ·
Hi, i'm new here, this is a great forum for 5 series owners and I thought before I buy my 5 series car I want to ask some questions??

Right, i'm thinking about getting a 2008-2009 facelift 520D M-Sport in silver/Grey, there are some in autotrader, but some have high mileage.

My questions are -

Does it really matter if the car has really high mileage (over 100K) if it has got a full BMW service history??

Is there anything visual that I can tell, either interior or exterior if the car is fitted with Sat Nav??

What's the difference between professional and business Sat Nav??

Do all of the post facelift models come with "Angel eyes" ??

Do you think the 2.0 engine is underpowered for the car??

Some come with a widescreen display, why is that??

What are the common faults with the car ??

When I go to view a car, what are the main area's to look at ??

Thanks for all your help !!!

Paul.

See less See more
#2 ·
Does it really matter if the car has really high mileage (over 100K) if it has got a full BMW service history?? a more regular oil change history is better than a full BMWSH, even if from an indy, the interval between BMW recommended oil change is too long

Is there anything visual that I can tell, either interior or exterior if the car is fitted with Sat Nav?? only the size of the screen, non sat navs have a 6" screen, sat navs have a wide screen

What's the difference between professional and business Sat Nav?? Not sure, I think it add bluetooth and upgrade climate control (look out for that one, there is a poverty spec and a dual zone version)

Do all of the post facelift models come with "Angel eyes" ?? All have angel eyes but Xenon healights have more pronounced white bulbs, standard headlamps have "yellow" angel eyes

Do you think the 2.0 engine is underpowered for the car?? It OK, 177bhp is fine but personally I would be looking for a 6 cylinder engine, they are so much smoother

Some come with a widescreen display, why is that?? they have sat nav

There are very few faults at this stage, 2.0 engine built between 3/2007 and 3/2008 must be avoided

#3 ·
Does it matter if it's over 100k? No not really providing it's well serviced and you carry out a thorough inspection of it. Do beware DPF's though, if it's an early car and has one fitted, it'll be due a change at approx 125k miles and they're VERY expensive. If it's working ok, many users ignore it and reset the interval. The 2008 / 2009 car you're looking at may be a fit for life (or till it breaks) component

To know whether it's nav equipped, the I-drive display will have navigation to the right of centre, if nav isn't fitted it'll say OBC (On Board Computer)

Business sat nav is direction allows only, no map display. Professional Nav is the full shebang

2.0D in an E60, I'd say it's adequate but it won't produce any thrills

#5 ·
Check the tyre, cheap and nasty (those budget brands like Sunew, Enduro etc) ones will handle horribly, also if it does not have run flats that is a good thing, they are harsh to drive and can cause large rims to crack particularly 19" ones. A good set of mid to premium tyres will serve you for 20-30k miles

Again the 2008 do have the later DPF and so provided it regens properly it will be fine for the lifetime of the car

That is about it, give the engine a good listen too when running and check the idle is smooth, rough idle could be something simple like a dirty MAF but could be a failing injector which is more involved to change

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.