Tempted by 328i....minor issues?

Notices

Thread: Tempted by 328i....minor issues?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Tempted by 328i....minor issues? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Matreeves25's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi Everyone,

Im in the market for 328I, my collegue at work has one for sale. Im very tempted but there are a couple of issues that im hoping you guys can help with.

The car in question is an R reg 98 328i. My main concerns are firstly the engine has apparently been re-mapped but the current owner has no paper work or reciepts to show who and when the work was done. He also thinks the car is pushing 250-260 BHP which seems a little excessive to me?
    Secondly the display in the centre console where it says check oil etc has fadded and is bareley readable, are these expensive to replace?

Other than that it seems loveley, paint work is good and the engine seems great.

Appologies if this is in the wrong section

Many thanks

Mat

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    swansea_dragon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Original power in the 328i is 193bhp so I don't think 250-260 is excessive (although 193bhp is enough for me!) The 2.8 straight six M52 engine is pretty bulletproof anyway. What's the mileage? Sounds like a nice motor. How much is he asking for it?

You can replace the display LEDs in the display? - I assume it's the computer unit you're referring to?
    1998 E36 328i Sports Coupe

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Matreeves25's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    cheers for the reply.

Its on 112k at the momment. One of the reasons why im looking at BMW's is their reputation for being bullet proof! fast car without too much hassel.
    I think its the computer unit. I wasnt sure if i'd have to replace a whole unit or maybe just the screen or how expensive it would be?
    He's asking 2 k for it so its a whole lotta motor for that sort of money! Needs a little bit of tlc but nothing major.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    blackbeauty328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    mines the same ive found the whole unit for £15 on ebay

Mods: CCFL kit, 8000k HID kit,Delensed, Tinted indicators, Smoked side repeaters, Red/White rears, 17" BBS RC 041 split rims black with silver lip, Medium smoke rear tints, E46 boot lip spoiler, Debadged rear, Hottuning coilovers dropped 62mm on the front and 102mm on the rear, K&N Induction Kit, Scorpion Cat-Back,Full De-Cat, Sony GT929U headunit, Two 12" JBL subwoofers in custom tubes,Alpine amp, Led interior bulbs.
    To do: Refurb alloys, Get Black and White BMW badges

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    blackbeauty328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matreeves25 View Post
    cheers for the reply.

Its on 112k at the momment. One of the reasons why im looking at BMW's is their reputation for being bullet proof! fast car without too much hassel.
    I think its the computer unit. I wasnt sure if i'd have to replace a whole unit or maybe just the screen or how expensive it would be?
    He's asking 2 k for it so its a whole lotta motor for that sort of money! Needs a little bit of tlc but nothing major.
    i had mine up for sale for £1500 and had no interested 328i M sport

Mods: CCFL kit, 8000k HID kit,Delensed, Tinted indicators, Smoked side repeaters, Red/White rears, 17" BBS RC 041 split rims black with silver lip, Medium smoke rear tints, E46 boot lip spoiler, Debadged rear, Hottuning coilovers dropped 62mm on the front and 102mm on the rear, K&N Induction Kit, Scorpion Cat-Back,Full De-Cat, Sony GT929U headunit, Two 12" JBL subwoofers in custom tubes,Alpine amp, Led interior bulbs.
    To do: Refurb alloys, Get Black and White BMW badges

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Sphinx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Something to think about; Nikasil.

Without going over it in detail for the millionth time; The bore linings on eary M52 engines suffer from wear, they were recalled and replace with the Alusil block...or at least they were supposed to be. IIRC in March 98 (build date! not registered date) they were all fitted with the Alusil block from the factory.
    In short: You want a car that's either had the recall with the paperwork to prove, you can also check for markings on the engine OR a car that was built after March 98.
    hth

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matreeves25 View Post
    cheers for the reply.

With a FSH 112k wouldn't put me off at all. Less than average mileage for 1998 at under 10k a year. You can run it for at least double the miles if you keep it properly serviced. The computer problem sounds like the LEDs have gone (one has in mine) but you should be able to replace them? Have a search through the forum and the web, you'd be surprised what problems you can fix yourself for not much money. I fixed the aircon/heating unit with a capacitor for 59p and a soldering iron!

Sounds like a good buy for £2k. Parts will be starting to wear on that car now like bushes, suspension, brakes, etc but nothing that will cost you big money. All the joys of owning an old car but it's a quality build. I still laugh when I close the doors on new vauxhalls and fords when I'm used to a solid beemer! As you say - a lot of car for not much money. They were £30k new and cheap for what they were then!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
    Something to think about; Nikasil.

Without going over it in detail for the millionth time; The bore linings on eary M52 engines suffer from wear, they were recalled and replace with the Alusil block...or at least they were supposed to be. IIRC in March 98 (build date! not registered date) they were all fitted with the Alusil block from the factory.
    In short: You want a car that's either had the recall with the paperwork to prove, you can also check for markings on the engine OR a car that was built after March 98.
    hth
    That may be true but mine's a Feb 98 on 67k, 12yr old with no engine problems at all. No evidence of a recall either. Keep it serviced properly.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Sphinx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,042 Posts
    I knew that would stir a few people up lol
    Of course there are plenty of Nikasils still out there going strong but for me it's not worth the risk.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Sphinx - should I expect a heavy bill for an engine rebuild anytime soon? LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast