530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    i have a 530d e60.2004

Can anyone please tell me what are swirl flaps,are they fitted on my car,what do they do and why do so many people replace them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    They sit in the inlet manifold and stop air flowing in to one side of the cylinders at low revs/low power, this cause the air to "swirl" in the cylinders improving emissions.

They clog up with a mixture of oil from the engine breather and soot for the EGR valve (another emissions abomination) which increases the stress on the flaps which evenually breaks off and goes in the cylinder smashing the pistons and valves etc. (very expensive to fix)

Your does have them although you have the later version which although not perfect are better than the ones installed in the E46's and E39's, if you are worried you can have them removed and the holes blanks for about €250-300

4. The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_henson For This Useful Post:

terrymacl (20-06-2012)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    chuk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    found this site to be a first rate place to get info on the things to look out for im due to pick up an e46 300d sport manual box on saturday afternoon after reading several posts regarding the breather/filter mods and the swirl flaps i purchased a set of the blanks for mine, now i may have been a bit premature as ive also read that for the 2002 5 speed manual version does either not have these or they dont need changed (hoping someone will confirm this either way),if thats the case they will be up for sale soon if anyones interested will be cheaper than the £46 i paid for them still in package dont know the engine code or chassis vin numbers till i pick it up looking forward to getting the car and doing the filter mod and egr mod or bypass whatever one works better.