Picking E46 M sport up tommorow!

Notices

Thread: Picking E46 M sport up tommorow!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Picking E46 M sport up tommorow! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    angrypaul's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Am new to BMW's and have plumped for a 2003 320d M Sport....have read the forums about the inlet valve's which has scared the crap out of me but have paid the deposit on Ebay so am trolling my way up to Bradford tomorrow to make sure its okay and bring it home!.....Is there anything I should look for and is there anything that should define it as a true M sport and not a car with M sport parts fitted?

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Foolishbean69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 (53)
    Transmission Type:
    Manual (6 Speed)
    Car Body Type:
    Sports Saloon.
    Thanks
    Nice choice.

I've got a 53 plate 330d Sport (They weren't technically called "M" Sports till after 05 I think - that might help you with sorting insurance as my insurer couldn't find "M Sport" just "Sport".)

The "Sport" models should have the obvious bodykit differece, more agressive look, little boot lip spoiler. They should, possibly also have: M steering wheel, M kickplates, M Gear knob, black headlining, MV1 or MV2 alloys, - best way to check is to see if the logbook says "Sport" - if not someone has possibly added the m bits. - what colour is it too cause some colours are "Motorsport" only ie "sport" models only.

Things to do when you get her...

Check if she has swirl flaps. (the guys here can tell you based on year, transmission and engine etc) - if so get em out for ~£150 - peace of mind is worth way more than that.

Vortex type crank case breather - search the forum HUNDREDS of threads about it.

What milage has she done? Cause from personal experience the e46 "Sport" suspension only lasts about 80-100k before needing a few perishable parts (bushes etc) and possibly even non-perishables (I needed new front shocks at 88k).

Apart from that, try to use good diesel in her (non-supermarket, or even better V-power/excellium or whatever) and ALWAYS ALWAYS turn the engine off last - ie, when you get to your destination, do everything else first, belt off, windows closed etc etc, perhaps chill for a minute - to let the turbo do just that - CHILL.

Same with heading out, be sure to turn her on early and do all your other prep before heading off, not ages, butif you turn her on before you set your satnav, roll ciggies (in my case) put belt on etc - just to give her time to warm up. It's useful even to go easy for the first couple of miles of any journey - to let the turbo warm up gently.

Apart from that all you need to do is enjoy the sh*t out of her!!! lol.

Good luck with the purchase pal, hope she's everything you're hoping for!!

Oh and the most important thing: Take lots of pics and get em up on here!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Foolishbean69 For This Useful Post:

angrypaul (30-09-2011)

asj
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    asj's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    645ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    hello and welcome

Things to do:

new back boxes
    stone chip repairs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to asj For This Useful Post:

angrypaul (30-09-2011)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    9099's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    As Foolish bean says!

Additionally, I would like to add that you should do an oil service as a matter of vital importance, these cars don't take kindly to being neglected as I have found out. My car purchased in april has killed it's turbo because I didn't do an oil service (I was told it had been serviced when it hadn't at the say so of the previous owner) and the oil breather got blocked causing high crankcase pressure which then blew the turbo oil seals.

Just for peace of mind, if you are ok with small mechanical work, change the oil and filters.

Welcome and good luck

Beautiful car... But everytime I look into your beautiful eyes I feel the contempt that you have for my bank account.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 9099 For This Useful Post:

angrypaul (30-09-2011)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 (53)
    Transmission Type:
    Manual (6 Speed)
    Car Body Type:
    Sports Saloon.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 9099 View Post
    As Foolish bean says!

Additionally, I would like to add that you should do an oil service as a matter of vital importance, these cars don't take kindly to being neglected as I have found out. My car purchased in april has killed it's turbo because I didn't do an oil service (I was told it had been serviced when it hadn't at the say so of the previous owner) and the oil breather got blocked causing high crankcase pressure which then blew the turbo oil seals.

Just for peace of mind, if you are ok with small mechanical work, change the oil and filters.

Welcome and good luck
    Good call! Despite my counter saying like 13,000 miles till next service I've got to get on and give her an oil/filter change ASAP.

Daily doggy recommends every 6-7k miles and he knows his "sludgers" (despite acting like he hates them, he loves them really, wishes he had one i'm sure! )

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Foolishbean69 For This Useful Post:

9099 (30-09-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    angrypaul's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolishbean69 View Post
    Nice choice.

I've got a 53 plate 330d Sport (They weren't technically called "M" Sports till after 05 I think - that might help you with sorting insurance as my insurer couldn't find "M Sport" just "Sport".)

The "Sport" models should have the obvious bodykit differece, more agressive look, little boot lip spoiler. They should, possibly also have: M steering wheel, M kickplates, M Gear knob, black headlining, MV1 or MV2 alloys, - best way to check is to see if the logbook says "Sport" - if not someone has possibly added the m bits. - what colour is it too cause some colours are "Motorsport" only ie "sport" models only.

Things to do when you get her...

Check if she has swirl flaps. (the guys here can tell you based on year, transmission and engine etc) - if so get em out for ~£150 - peace of mind is worth way more than that.

Vortex type crank case breather - search the forum HUNDREDS of threads about it.

What milage has she done? Cause from personal experience the e46 "Sport" suspension only lasts about 80-100k before needing a few perishable parts (bushes etc) and possibly even non-perishables (I needed new front shocks at 88k).

Apart from that, try to use good diesel in her (non-supermarket, or even better V-power/excellium or whatever) and ALWAYS ALWAYS turn the engine off last - ie, when you get to your destination, do everything else first, belt off, windows closed etc etc, perhaps chill for a minute - to let the turbo do just that - CHILL.

Same with heading out, be sure to turn her on early and do all your other prep before heading off, not ages, butif you turn her on before you set your satnav, roll ciggies (in my case) put belt on etc - just to give her time to warm up. It's useful even to go easy for the first couple of miles of any journey - to let the turbo warm up gently.

Apart from that all you need to do is enjoy the sh*t out of her!!! lol.

Good luck with the purchase pal, hope she's everything you're hoping for!!

Oh and the most important thing: Take lots of pics and get em up on here!!!
    Cheers mate if you want to look at her Item no 180729498161 on Ebay....Your thoughts?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mani_1234's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Make sure you do a HPI check. Some unscrupleous people fail to mention if the car has finance outstanding, writen off, etc.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    angrypaul's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mani_1234 View Post
    Make sure you do a HPI check. Some unscrupleous people fail to mention if the car has finance outstanding, writen off, etc.
    First thing I did along with txt check on DVLA Cheers!

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 (53)
    Transmission Type:
    Manual (6 Speed)
    Car Body Type:
    Sports Saloon.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypaul View Post
    Cheers mate if you want to look at her Item no 180729498161 on Ebay....Your thoughts?
    V. Nice mate. Ad seems pretty genuine too. - V.Similar to SlowTech's - you'll probably end up chatting with him if something goes wrong. lol.

With that mileage i'd be quick to give her an oil/filter change - just in case. But apart from that, looks lovely!

Don't know what kinda driver you are (buying for economy or POWAR!? lol) - cause you could easily get her remapped if you want even more beans!

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    The Panther's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Clubsport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Looks really straigh mate.

As above really the bean has covered everything, I want to really emphasise the swirl flap point. Have seen countless threads on here of them screwing the whole engine up - if it has them which one of the others will confirm THEY MUST BE REMOVED IMMEDIATLEY!

Apart from that should have loads of life left in it.

I would also go straight for a remap - discount for forum members with AP tuning too.

You can expect near 200bhp post remap enough to really put a smile on your face!

Hope it's a good egg for you

I'm here for a good time not a long time

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Panther For This Useful Post:

angrypaul (30-09-2011),Foolishbean69 (30-09-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast