Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slooby View Post
    Well here's hoping I can reboot the nav computer somehow, will pulling the fuse for the nav do the job if I leave it disconnected for a long period, or is it a disconnect the battery and leave it for an even longer period job?
    I'm afraid I don't know as I've never had it happen to me /

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slooby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D M Sport, Impreza Turbo, Impreza Terzo, Mini 1000, 88" Hybrid V8, Alpine S5
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002, 1998,1998, 1968, 1966, 1967
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic, manual, manual, manual, manual, manual O/D
    Car Body Type:
    Touring, Saloon, Saloon, Saloon, Box, Convertible

Thanks
    Well pulling the fuse and leaving them out for an hour had no effect.

However, of greater concern has been the large amount of white smoke when the car is on load from cold and the distinct lack of go, so with that in mind I decided to take a peek at the Turbo today. I started by removing the engine covers and then the air filter, which was when I discovered that the lower part of the filter housing is also the rocker cover The inlet and outlet pipes had a fair amount of oil in them, which looks to have been coming from the breather into the inlet, naturally I cleaned them. The turbo has a noticeable amount of sideways play in the shaft which I am concerned about. I took the vnt solenoid off to try to clean its inlet filter and check the hoses, all looked fine so I reassembled it.

From the Turbo I moved to the inlet manifold where I had seen some traces of oil around one of the inlets. It took me a while to get it removed, thankfully the TIS I have had some useful hints there. When I got the manifold off the ports were caked in black sludge (oil and soot), I guess 143k miles with an EGR does that. Still, it was when I got the manifold of that I found the vacuum feed pipe to the vnt solenoid was broken! The pipe was badly perished, so I've temporarily spliced in a new piece of vac hose until I can get some new hose and some protective heat shield.

Once all back together again I took the car for a drive and it feels better, but it's still not really quite right, time to test the MAF...

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Replace the breather shown as #15 here as well, will help prolong the turbo life, really common problem http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...16&hg=11&fg=15

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

Slooby (21-09-2008)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slooby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Thanks
    Cheers Ronnie, I wondered where the breather pipe ran to!

Hope to get my mitts on some decent vac hose today so I can replace the hose properly. Just glad my other life fixing Imprezas was able to help me here...I always keeps some lengths of vac hose in my emergency tool kit

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slooby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Thanks
    I tried disconnecting the nav today and leaving it off for several hours to see if that would work. Nope.

Also found the radio/amp and disconnected the quadlock the reconnected it to see if the O/S speakers would come back. Nope.

I've looked at the ebay prices for the Mk 3 and Mk 4 nav units, they're fetching more than a decent Tom Tom, which seems daft seeing as neither is as good really. I guess I'll just remove it and see if one of my more electronically minded mates can see what's wrong with it, ditto the radio.

Back under the bonnet again, I failed to find some vac hose today, however I have tidied up my bodge, tried cleaning the breather filter (it need replacing really), and disconnected the MAF to see what effect that would have. Not a lot, still short on any real go below 3k rpm, I suspect my VNT maybe goosed

While under the bonnet I noticed that the aircon has been leaking from the connections at the pump, guess the 'O' rings were too far gone after all.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slooby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Thanks
    Took the car back to the place that charged my aircon, for them to take a look at the suspected leak...minor detail issue, couldn't see the leak for the generous coating of oil

It would appear that in my efforts to cure the Turbo issues last weekend I upset the rocker cover gasket and it's weeping quite profusely down the O/S front of the block

I pick up a new gasket set and a breather filter in the morning. Annoying really I had planned to fit the toe bar this weekend and then get on with finishing one of the Imprezas

I've made a right mess of this car lately

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    The Doc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535d M Sport, 120d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006 / 2007
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon, 3 door
    Thanks
    Hello!

120d M Sport Auto 3 Dr Black/Black Ltr/Aluminium,18” 208M’s,Comfort Pack,Sun Glass,Heated Seats,Folding&Dimming Mirrors,Adaptive Xenon's,Cruise +

535d M Sport Auto Saloon Carbon Black/Black Ltr/Anthracite Bamboo,Visibility Pack,High Beam Assist,Media Pack,19” 172’s,Elec Mem Heated Seats,Privacy,Hi-Fi,I-Pod,Active Steering,Sun Roof, Extended Light Pack, Folding&Dimming Mirrors,Sun Protection Glass,M Rear Spoiler +

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Took the car back to the place that charged my aircon, for them to take a look at the suspected leak...minor detail issue, couldn't see the leak for the generous coating of oil

It would appear that in my efforts to cure the Turbo issues last weekend I upset the rocker cover gasket and it's weeping quite profusely down the O/S front of the block

I pick up a new gasket set and a breather filter in the morning. Annoying really I had planned to fit the toe bar this weekend and then get on with finishing one of the Imprezas

I've made a right mess of this car lately
    , nightmare! it happens to us all sometimes, at least you are making progress though

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slooby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Thanks
    Well I've spent the day replacing the rocker cover gasket, and while I was at it I took the opportunity to replace the inlet manifold gaskets and the breather filter with new parts as well, as well as properly fix the vac hose I bodged in last weekend. I also had a go at cleaning the MAF film, will see if that made a difference.

Only finished the car at 9 this evening so I elected not to take it for a spin, just fired it up to check all was well, which it was. Tomorrow I shall drop the under tray and clean it off (plus repair a crack), pressure wash the engine to shift the oil spill and fit the replacement O/S front corner undertray.

Amusingly while I was collecting my parts from Coopers in T.Wells this morning the chap in front of me was buying a set of inlet manifold gaskets so he could replace his split manifold on an '01 530D, I gave him a few pointers based on my own trials and tribulations, and suggested he look at Real OEM for guidance (he said he'd already trawled the forums). Small world

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Wells this morning the chap in front of me was buying a set of inlet manifold gaskets so he could replace his split manifold on an '01 530D,
    Split manifold as in the whole manifold had a split in? As I have heard of this

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast