Thread: Newbie saying hello

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Newbie saying hello 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slooby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D M Sport, Impreza Turbo, Impreza Terzo, Mini 1000, 88" Hybrid V8, Alpine S5
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002, 1998,1998, 1968, 1966, 1967
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic, manual, manual, manual, manual, manual O/D
    Car Body Type:
    Touring, Saloon, Saloon, Saloon, Box, Convertible

Thanks
    Hi joined up a couple of days ago having agreed to buy and then collecting my first BM

About 8 years ago a friend of mine bought a new 330D Sport at that time I was running my mildly fettled UK model MY98 Subaru Impreza Turbo as my daily hack and fun car. We went on a trip with several friends to the 'Ring and the car wowed me...I vowed that when the time came for me to buy a more sensible car I would seriously consider a 330D.

Roll on a few years and that time came, however the scoob was far more highly developed by then and I could not afford the car I wanted, so I bought a new Focus diesel, that was February '03. The Focus was a great car and served me well over 103k miles until last Tuesday when it met with an unfortunate end on a country lane when I had a choice of running over 3 or 4 pedestrians or hoping I could avoid a tractor on the otherside of the road...unfortunately this wasn't to be...

Still, it did it's job sacrificing itself to protect me from serious harm.

Now I needed a replacement, something that would act as a suitable daily driver, be moderately entertaining and act as a tow vehicle for my much enhanced Impreza that is soon to be back up and running after a 4 year tune up...I'd been keeping an eye on the classifieds and a few months ago saw something I liked, but decided not to do anything as there was little point in replacing a perfectly functional car that wasn't worth much. So, on Wednesday, I was pleasantly surprised when I found the same car re-advertised...went to see it on Thursday, placed a deposit and collected it yesterday.

What have I bought? A 2002 530D M Sport Touring Auto, no it's not a 330, but when I tried one I found it too cramped for my tastes, besides the 530 should make a better tow car.

The car cost me £5600, is covered 143k miles, and is pretty good nick, it started life as a dealer demo car and it has nigh on every toy! Still, I've found a few niggles with it that I need to sort, but hopefully nothing too drastic:

Air Con needs re-gassing
    The outside temp sensor seems to have packed up (it thinks it's -40)
    The O/S speakers aren't working (got the 10 speaker audio system with the built in Sat Nav/TV and a a 6 disc changer in the boot)
    The rear wash wipe has siezed in the rear glass hatch and once that's freed off I need to see if the motor still works
    The front passenger seat airbag switch needs replacing.

When I get a chance I'll get a mate of mine who maps cars for a living to plug his laptop in to the OBD port and give the ecu a thorough interrogation.

I'm sure I'll be around here asking questions

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Welcome to the forum

Sounds like an awesome purchase and to be honest there's not many cars that don't have a few niggles. The ones you have listed don't seem to worrying

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Oh yeah.... the crash best thing that can happen to a ford

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Slooby, good to hear no one including yourself got injured badly, what was it like having the doggy bag go off in your face?

The outside temp sensor lives in front of one of the front wheels, under the bumper

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    The outside temp sensor lives in front of one of the front wheels, under the bumper

Nearside... passenger side

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slooby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome chaps.

Ronnie, the airbag was nothing compared to the seat belt pretensioners firing! Was struggling to breath after that and my ribs were and still are bruised. What I can remember of the air bag is a slight bop on the nose which soon stopped hurting and some minor friction burns on my wrists. I think the final impact speed was around 25mph into the 6 tonne tractor which was stationary by the time I hit it's wheel.

Thanks also for the tip on the temp sensor, I suspect that is going to be the easiest thing to sort.

It's taken me most of the afternoon to extract the steel rear wiper shaft from aluminium bushing (bloody stupid design) which corroded up and jammed. That's now cleaned up, well greased and re-assembled. Unfortunately the wiper still doesn't work, and neither does the washer jet which I swore was functional. Need to find the fuse for it and check that, if it's ok, on to the motor.

Any tips on the stereo, there doesn't appear to be a boot mounted amp (which I assume would be behind the CD changer and beneath the Sat Nav) It seems odd that an entire side is non functional

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    black_rat_uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ti compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    nasty scratch lol!! Hope your ok welcome to the sight
    ( AH80358 ) 1995 E36 318 compact , magnex cat-back system, K&N induction kit, m-tech suspension, 17" 7 spoke BMW alloys. Nothing special yet!!

Coming soon: dropped on coilovers and a new set of rims!!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    If there are no fuses blown then check for power at the fuses, if power then check the wiring between the tail gate and car, it may have broke where it gets opened and closed so much

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Slooby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Thanks
    It would seem that I had a fit of numpty when I initially checked to see it the rear wash wipe was working after freeing off the spindle...because it's working fine now...after I'd removed all the bootlid trim to get at the motor!

Now I want to get the speakers working, I read something about checking the 'quadlock' in the boot on another forum, but haven't a clue where to find it...any pointers?

Uber Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    redadair's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d Sport (E60)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hey Slooby dude welcome to the club and that's one helluva nice mota you have there - good price for it too (?)

We share some common ground, you aint Scottish perhaps are you? lol Just kidding.

I moved from a focus to a 5 series, you must've felt cramped in the foci if you thot the 3 series was cramped?

Hope you get all the car niggles sorted soon! Red!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast