Model of Car:
    335d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    For that budget you're looking at the cream of the E46 crop, perhaps even sneaking into smaller capacity E9x territory.

Beware the engine designation thing. 'Trader is right that some 318's are listed as 2l. Similar to mine being a 335d. It's only a 3 litre but has 2 turbo chargers as opposed to the 330d's 1, hence the additional '5'.

I wouldn't say your mileage necessarily warrants a diesel (that is unless you like the way they drive). A very nice 330i is well within grasp (and will return a steady 30mpg if driven nicely), indeed (dare I say it?) good E46 M3's now drop in below £10k.

2008 335d M Sport Coupe

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Coupe2T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Yeah, I always test drive several models before I buy anything! I'm quite picky like that. I will test drive anythin local etc, then when it comes to buy I don't care if I have to travel 200 miles if it's for the right car! When I got my Astra I drove miles to pick it up, but although it was several years old (About 5 at the time) it only had 12,000 genuine miles on the clock, so was worth it imo. Loved that car, I do miss it! lol.

Where abouts in Hants are you? I live in Andover but work in Basingstoke.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Coupe2T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cforehead View Post
    For that budget you're looking at the cream of the E46 crop, perhaps even sneaking into smaller capacity E9x territory.

Beware the engine designation thing. 'Trader is right that some 318's are listed as 2l. Similar to mine being a 335d. It's only a 3 litre but has 2 turbo chargers as opposed to the 330d's 1, hence the additional '5'.

I wouldn't say your mileage necessarily warrants a diesel (that is unless you like the way they drive). A very nice 330i is well within grasp (and will return a steady 30mpg if driven nicely), indeed (dare I say it?) good E46 M3's now drop in below £10k.
    Don't tempt me!!! lol. I would love to go for an M3, and if I didn't have the house to pay for and a small baby I probably would, but I need to be sensible.

A diesel will generally give me over 40mpg I would think for my drive as long as i'm being sensible and tax etc will be much cheaper. Hence going the derv route really. That's not to say it wont get re-mapped though for when I do want to put my foot down! lol.

I have seen quite a lot of 320d's going for around the 10k mark, 2007-2008 and all with reasonable mileage, some less than 50k, so I should have a reasonable amount to pick from hopefully!

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Roundozo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    good E46 M3's now drop in below £10k
    Agreed. If your budget is what you say then you're going to have a lot of choice.

I live near Southampton and work in eastleigh. welcome to the forum, although me saying that sounds a bit cheap as i've only just joined as well!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Coupe2T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundozo View Post
    Agreed. If your budget is what you say then you're going to have a lot of choice.

I live near Southampton and work in eastleigh. welcome to the forum, although me saying that sounds a bit cheap as i've only just joined as well!
    Haha, not at all.

Welcome to the forum to you! (Makes it even now! lol)

Not too far away then from where I am! May see you at some local meets further down the line then!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    cforehead's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Yes, a diesel will indeed return those figures but the purchase price is generally higher and they are proven less reliable unless well cared for.

The 320d's are a 4 pot and make reasonable power but to me part of the charm of a BMW is their history of great 6 cylinder engines and I'd personally recommend a 330i if you're going to be looking for something 'sporty'.

2008 335d M Sport Coupe

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Coupe2T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Yes, a diesel will indeed return those figures but the purchase price is generally higher and they are proven less reliable unless well cared for.

The 320d's are a 4 pot and make reasonable power but to me part of the charm of a BMW is their history of great 6 cylinder engines and I'd personally recommend a 330i if you're going to be looking for something 'sporty'.
    I'm trying to find something in between, something that gives reasonable performance but also cheap to run and insure and tax etc. Which is leading me more to the 320d. I will bare this in mind though and check out some 330i's, see how they compare overall cost wise. It's also still got to be 'acceptable' to the wife as a family saloon, so I don't think she would like me getting anything too expensive as such. She'd kill me if I turned up in an M3! Well, she would if she could catch me! lol.

Is there anything in particular on the Diesels that make them more un-reliable and costly? Apart from Swirl Flaps, seems common to have them removed straight away from what I have seen on a lot of them!?!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    cforehead's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    The main complaint you'll see is the long service intervals specified by BMW (15k + miles). Most on here advocate halfing that in order to avoid hammering the oil beyond use. Also you'll note from looking at the tech sections that the 4 cylinder diesels seem to go wrong more often than ther 6 cylinder counterparts.

2008 335d M Sport Coupe

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Roundozo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Also you'll note from looking at the tech sections that the 4 cylinder diesels seem to go wrong more often than ther 6 cylinder counterparts.
    That's why I went for the 330D. Cheap insureance/tax (im 27 with only 1 year NCB and it only costs me £670 fully comp) plently of boot under the right foot plus stong old engines if looked after. I would agree with the oil change point. I will be doing mine every 10k max. price of new engine v price of oil. enough said.

Obviously look out for somke out the back. Mine doesnt smoke one bit. Most people say all deisels smoke a bit but that can be a sign of turbo wear etc.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Coupe2T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I've had a good look around and seen what's available now for what price etc and I think I may well go the 330d myself! Seen a real nice 07 plate 330d M Sport for about 12k, little over my budget but if you get them coming up at that sort of price then I may just save a few grand first and try and all a little to my budget and go for something like that!

Might mean I have to wait a few months before picking one up but worth it I reckon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast