Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi All,

My name is Jay, I currently own a Vauxhall Vectra (I know, I know!!!), which I bought as a short term fix due to the arrival of my baby daughter as me and my wife both had 3 door cars which just wasn't practical for us. Now she has bought herself a 5 door focus so I'm looking at trading up from the cheap family wagon to a nice Bimmer, so thought i'd stick my head in and get some advice from the people that know.

So I reckon with cash deposit and trade in for my Vectra at present I could probably raise around 4k, and would look at taking some on finance over the next 3-4 years, so would guesstimate I could spend around the 8-10k mark overall, give or take.

I am looking ideally towards either a coupe or saloon, so was thinking either a 1 series coupe or 3 series coupe/saloon. I don't know much about the engines in the Bimmers and reliability or issues known on any of them etc, so what would people recommend or what would people advise I stay away from!?! Ideally it would be a diesel as I do about 12-14k miles a year so want something relatively economical, but also not too slow! My previous car to the Vectra was an Astra coupe, which was a 2ltr petrol turbo 200bhp, which I had modded to nearer 250 by the time I sold it again, so I like a bit of poke under my right foot.

Cheers

Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Jlock's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Nothing wrong with a vectra Just changed mine for a bm, although mine isnt as new as the ones your propsing... Good luck with the search!!
    e46 Convertible

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Roundozo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    The 330D has plenty of poke, can be chipped to near 250BHP and also has a lot of torque. The engines are relatively strong but a good BMW service history is a must in my book. The diesels can suffer swirl flap failure if your looking at the same sort of year as mine (in my signature) and parts can be expensive if you don’t look around. Apart from that though, I'm a new E46 (3 series, 330D M Sport owner, the post below yours!) and I’m very happy indeed!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Coupe2T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlock View Post
    Nothing wrong with a vectra Just changed mine for a bm, although mine isnt as new as the ones your propsing... Good luck with the search!!
    Haha, You didn't own my Vectra. I've had nothing but issues with it. Water pump seized and threw the cambelt after less than 200 miles of owning it, although thankfully I bought it from a garage so after a couple of months of fighting and legal advice, eventually got them to repair it for me. The 6-7 months later and the EGR valve went, so cost me another couple hundred quid almost all in. Now a water leak has developed which appears to be coming from behind the water pump, so all has to come off yet again, which will no doubt cost me a few hundred notes. So I reserve judgement on the decency of Vectra's for now! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundozo View Post
    The 330D has plenty of poke, can be chipped to near 250BHP and also has a lot of torque. The engines are relatively strong but a good BMW service history is a must in my book. The diesels can suffer swirl flap failure if your looking at the same sort of year as mine (in my signature) and parts can be expensive if you don’t look around. Apart from that though, I'm a new E46 (3 series, 330D M Sport owner, the post below yours!) and I’m very happy indeed!
    Yeah just read your thread. I need to get my head around all of these engine codes, the E** etc, as I don't know which engines belong to which models. Your's is similar to what I am looking towards, although possibly a little newer. Having said that, I'm not sure how much 8-10k will buy me in Bimmer value. lol. I am trying to work out which models I would be happy with first, then I will start a proper search and see what I can afford.

Also I don't entirely understand all the trim levels etc, I assume M Sport is the upper trim, then below that is it ES? I basically need to research from the beginning as you can probably tell, hence joining here.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Roundozo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I knew nothing about them about 6 months ago but I’ve been looking on forums and chatting to mates so I’ve learnt a fair old bit. I does help having a good knowledge of cars anyway but you’ll find this all out. For 8-10k you should be able to get a pretty nice one if your looking at E46’s (that’s my model, I think they stopped that range in 2005 or 2006). Lets just say mine was at least half of your budget. Take your time to find a nice one because there are so many around it wont take long to find a good one. Go out and test drive one even if you don’t have the money. A garage wont know that and at least you’ll get the feel of them.

The EGR valve is a part of the engine that on diesels can become clogged with gunk. Its very easy to take off and clean and if its filthy it can make a noticeable difference once cleaned.

The “M” marking on mine means I have the trimmings such as the multifunctional steering wheel, alloys etc. There are so many optional extra’s on BMW’s so keep an eye out for what’s on offer. I find it funny that a boot release switch on the inside of the car (near the bonnet release) is an optional extra!

Good luck on your search and I would say if your not mechanically minded and happy to do your own work to the car make sure you have a full, up to date service history. Have a look on the forum about inspection 1 and 2. Inspection 2 can be quite expensive if you don’t have the knowhow.

I must stop rambling, I’m bored at work if you couldn’t tell. Good luck with your quest!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Coupe2T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I knew nothing about them about 6 months ago but I’ve been looking on forums and chatting to mates so I’ve learnt a fair old bit. I does help having a good knowledge of cars anyway but you’ll find this all out. For 8-10k you should be able to get a pretty nice one if your looking at E46’s (that’s my model, I think they stopped that range in 2005 or 2006). Lets just say mine was at least half of your budget. Take your time to find a nice one because there are so many around it wont take long to find a good one. Go out and test drive one even if you don’t have the money. A garage wont know that and at least you’ll get the feel of them.

The EGR valve is a part of the engine that on diesels can become clogged with gunk. Its very easy to take off and clean and if its filthy it can make a noticeable difference once cleaned.

The “M” marking on mine means I have the trimmings such as the multifunctional steering wheel, alloys etc. There are so many optional extra’s on BMW’s so keep an eye out for what’s on offer. I find it funny that a boot release switch on the inside of the car (near the bonnet release) is an optional extra!

Good luck on your search and I would say if your not mechanically minded and happy to do your own work to the car make sure you have a full, up to date service history. Have a look on the forum about inspection 1 and 2. Inspection 2 can be quite expensive if you don’t have the knowhow.

I must stop rambling, I’m bored at work if you couldn’t tell. Good luck with your quest!
    Please, Carry on! I am also bored at work and at least I am finding stuff out! lol.

I am not overly mechanically minded, I have done a few bits years ago on old cars but very out of practice now though to say the least. My problem comes if it involves anything Electrical, I have an uncanny knack for breaking wires, and always wires that break in the middle so you have to patch it up with sticky tape, rather than strip the longest end and do a proper job! lol.

I've been considering doing an evening course in mechanics, just to get back into it a bit, as it's skills that are always well worth knowing. I have changed alternators, and brakes and stuff like that in the past, but all a very long time ago and all on much simpler engines with very little of the modern day sensors and electronics attached to everything!

The most recent thing I changed was on my old Astra when I changed the exhaust Cat Back, that was a pig of a job because one of the bolts had snapped, which is why I had to change it and I just could not get it out! Had to drill it out in the end, went through about 6 drill bits and 2 drills before I got it sorted! In hindsight I should of probably just gone and bought some decent drill bits etc, but didn't like driving around sounding like a tank.

As for the car I go for, I think mileage and SH will be the main things I look for, I do about 12-14k a year so don't really want anything much other 100k, Especially as from what I know of a lot of diesel engines it seems that around 125k you often start to get expensive things like DPF and DMF going, which again, not being overly mechanical could be a problem for me, although having said that, I don't know if the same sort of problems exist on the Bimmers!?!

What's the difference in the model numbers referring to, like 318, 320, 325 etc? If the M and the ES etc is trim levels, what are the others referring to? As they all appear to be 2ltr's, or is it engine spec related despite the fact they are all the same size? If that makes sense?

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Roundozo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe2T View Post
    What's the difference in the model numbers referring to, like 318, 320, 325 etc? If the M and the ES etc is trim levels, what are the others referring to? As they all appear to be 2ltr's, or is it engine spec related despite the fact they are all the same size? If that makes sense?
    I may be wrong but I think my age of BMW does not have a DPF. You can tell by looking at the exhaust etc. Joy! The diesel engines can go on for thousands of miles if they are looked after. I don’t know about the petrol ones to be fair but my mate has a 325i and he hasn’t had any issues. In fact he left it for about 1 half years in a garage as he was living in central London and didn’t use it. The other week he decided he wanted to get back behind the wheel so took it down for an MOT and it passed first time with no advisories. I think it just needed a number plate bulb which they popped in for free.

The numbers relate to engines so your right there. The first part it the model of car so a 3 is a 3 series (also known as an E46). The second part is the engine size so…

318 = 1.8lt
    320= 2.0lt
    325= 2.5lt
    328= 2.8lt
    330=3.0lt

Same goes for the 5 series

Etc….

The 3 series can suffer suspension issues such a high bush wear and can go through track rod ends if driven hard. But to be fair these go on most makes of car. Just look around on this forum for buying guides etc. Unfortunately my boss is coming back into the office so that might be it for me today! Oh well, guess I better do some work now.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Coupe2T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I may be wrong but I think my age of BMW does not have a DPF. You can tell by looking at the exhaust etc. Joy! The diesel engines can go on for thousands of miles if they are looked after. I don’t know about the petrol ones to be fair but my mate has a 325i and he hasn’t had any issues. In fact he left it for about 1 half years in a garage as he was living in central London and didn’t use it. The other week he decided he wanted to get back behind the wheel so took it down for an MOT and it passed first time with no advisories. I think it just needed a number plate bulb which they popped in for free.

The numbers relate to engines so your right there. The first part it the model of car so a 3 is a 3 series (also known as an E46). The second part is the engine size so…

318 = 1.8lt
    320= 2.0lt
    325= 2.5lt
    328= 2.8lt
    330=3.0lt

Same goes for the 5 series

Etc….

The 3 series can suffer suspension issues such a high bush wear and can go through track rod ends if driven hard. But to be fair these go on most makes of car. Just look around on this forum for buying guides etc. Unfortunately my boss is coming back into the office so that might be it for me today! Oh well, guess I better do some work now.
    Ah ok, I always thought historically the 325 etc related to engine size and so on, but if you look on Autotrader etc there is loads of 318's listed as 2ltr diesels and all sorts. Which I thought must be wrong, but then by clicking onto one of the 318's and looking at all the technical spec, it does list it as 2ltr, which I would of though Autotrader wouldn't allow!?! I assumed that you would put the make and model etc in and the engine information etc will be automatically populated.

I think you're right about the DPF as well, most makers I think only started using them from about 2005, but mine would probably drop into that bracket. I found a real nice 5series on the trader for just under 10k, fsh and just less than 80k on the clocks, which looks good. Was an 08 plate I think so no doubt that would drop into the DPF era.

Will have to see what I end up buying I suppose, but I need to get my head around all the Engine types and codes, as I say the 318's on the trader being listed as 2ltr's threw me out and I couldn't quite figure what was going on, but maybe that's just people not listing things right, if that's possible.

Thanks for all the help/info anyway, much appreciated.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Coupe2T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Vectra 1.9 Cdti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Just realised this conversation looks a bit like i've been talking to myself! Both joined April 2012, both from Hampshire!!! What are the odds of that!?! lol.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Roundozo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Yeah, I noticed that too! random!

With the car search before you buy have a look for some garages that are selling the model you're after and don’t worry about the price. Give them a call and ask to come and have a look at the car and possibly a test drive as you are interested. Do it with a couple of examples and then when you begin your search you'll know how they should feel, behave and sound like so it will be easier to spot a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast