Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hello bimmer's

I'm a newbie to the forums, just registered today, but an oldie when it comes to being a pistonhead and a long time serving member of the *cough* Alfa Romeo *cough* crew over at alfa155.org.

You may wonder at this time, what am I doing here?

Well, its a fair question and hopefully I can clarify with the below.

As my Alfa 155 Twinspark has been in restoration nearing 2 years, I've been driving a runaround for the past 12 months (another Alfa 155, this time a V6) and I got to like the feel and torque from the 6 cylinder engines, so whilst my pride and joy is still being worked on I am considering moving the V6 on and getting hold of an E36.

I've always liked the E30 and E36 models and now I have the time and opportunity to try one and see if the looks match up to my expectations as a driver's car.

I've been looking around for the past 4 months and have finally found an E36 328SE I want to get hold of, so the Alfa V6 is up for sale and Im making arrangements to get to view the potentional new steed. As part of the due diligence process I've spent the past 3 days roaming the bimmer forums to learn about the areas of the car I need to look for and plan what immediate precautionary work I have to budget for.

Having spent the time getting clued up with very useful information on here, I thought it would be rude not to register and introduce myself, despite not yet being a bimmer owner.

Hi to all here and I hope that these forums are as friendly and helpful place as the Alfa crew I've gotten used to.

Ciao

Humour.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    HollowPoint's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E53 X5 3.0 Sport Auto
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Estate
    Llangennith - I can almost see Ireland from here
    Thanks
    Hi mate, welcome to the forums. I'm quite new here and have just too shed myself of an Alfa, a 156 2.4 JTD, which I loved, the missus hated! lol

You'll find most here are very friendly, I've yet to really find any exceptions to that in the week I've been a member here. The mods are quite picky about you getting tech help titles right though, for obvious reasons

The E30 and E36 are both EXCELLENT cars and I think coming from Alfas you'll really appreciate them. They're not quite as 'style focussed' on the interior as lots of Alfas are, but they're unbelievably functional, exceptionally comfortable and incredibly reliable. I previously had an E30 325i SE and loved it, although I did always want to lower it and firm up the suspension a bit, as it was a bit roly. My parents had, and I drove quite often, an E36 323i Sport coupe, 2 door, which if you can get hold of one (Quite rare apparently?) then that is an absolutely brilliant car. I personally have moved on to E46s now, needing newer, lower mileage and more reliable/dependable cars these days to supplement my hobby, which is a stupidly big money pit, called a 300zx, lol.

I'm pretty sure you'll find what you're looking for, but don't jump at the first one you see. E36s tend to suffer rusty rear arches and I'm sure you've seen some of the other common faults around the forum(s) too, so make sure you look out for them in your quest. Good luck mate!
    If everything seems fine, then you probably haven't grasped the gravity of the situation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollowPoint For This Useful Post:

Humour (27-06-2012)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Gurj247's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door saloon

Thanks
    Welcome

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Humour's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi HP,

thanks for the warm welcome, it looks like this is newbie corner for a reason then lol I'd hazzard a guess the modz have bigger fish to fry than to be checking out the greenhorns just landing in, hehe.

Thanks for the feedback also. Yes I've been doing my research and I'm certainly no fool nowadays, with that said the prices for these are now so low on average that even a silly mistake isnt really going to hurt that much. I also have a moneypit project which happens to be an Alfa but when she is done it will be worth it........he hopes......

I'm not too keen on coupes tbh, I have a need for 4 doors, so a coupe is more than likely going to be a short love affair whilst my Alfa is away. If I can get the right sallon however, I am more likely to try and keep her and money permitting restore the to the conditon of the Alfa so I can have two of my favourite cars of the period for the next 5/10 years.

I have found a car that looks on the surface to be a great buy, a bootlid and arches rust free manual, saloon, 328iSE, lowish mileage, good engine and box and most of the common mods already done. The problem is the car doesnt have an MOT and the seller is going on holiday this friday, so timing isnt that great. I told him that if he can get the car pre-MOT'd, based on what he thinks she needs doing, I'm prepared to travel up and pay for the maintenance work to be done so she can be MOT'd and I can drive her away, plus pay the asking price.

The seller said, she needs one 18" tyre (sidewall gash), and an O/S bottom ball joint, with one brake line being an avdisory at last MOT. With other minor niggles like drivers window popping out of its runner (the clip thingy I read about lol), etc.

The news today is the above but in addition, the N/S bottom ball joint, ARB D-bush carrier requiring re-attachment, the brake line and one bulb. All in the work has been quoted at around £500 to MOT, but the seller is worried that if he books the car in for the work and I arrive to pay for it, I may do a U-ey and leave him with a bill he cant afford. Which is fair enough, but provided the car stacks up to what has been discussed thus far and what I have seen of it, there is no logical reason for changing my mind and I'll honour what I said. With that said, it looks like this is where things are going to sit until the seller is back from holiday and we can chat again on the subject.

I know that its a bit of a leap of faith from my end having not seen the car in the flesh, but the price is keen, and I dont have unrealistic expectations from what is a 17yrs old car. Despite the additional bits need doing, I think the car is good value, provided all claims thus far about the engine gerabox and drive train hold up to scruteneering.

From my point of view the MOT items are simply maintenance items that any car of this age will be expected to need doing.

I just hope he doesnt do a U-ey or that he hasnt thrown in a major porkey or two my way, as finding this took about 3 months already.

Hum