BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Newbie - Hello and Help!

784 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tabbs 
#1 ·
Hi all, just joined up and wanted to say hi to all. I am after some help and advice, so please bare with the lengthy post. Please read on.

I have a E36 325i saloon, 1993 L reg. It has a genuine 46k on the clock and is immaculate inside.

The engine is where I am after a bit of help and advice on. I bought the car as a non-runner as the previous owner had cooked the lump. 2 of the pistons had holes in them, and the head was fryed beyond belief. He had driven the car hard, for approx 50 miles, without the rad cap on!!!

Anyhow, I bought the car cheap and managed to source an engine. When purchasing the engine, I was assured it was a 325i single vanos lump but when we got round to fitting it, realised it was a 5 series lump. The sump was in the wrong place, highlighting it was an E34 engine. Also, it had 2.0 embossed on the head, making us believe it was a 520i engine.

The supplier was adament that it was a 2.5 engine, and wouldn't budge, so we decided to use it anyway. Swapped over everything useale from the scrap engine to the newly acquired one. Sump, starter motor, alternator, coil packs, throttle etc. . . ..

Started fine, and is still running good and strong. Although it feels a little held back at times. Do I need to get a remap or chip to get it all singing and dancing properly??? I don't want to give up on the car, I love it too much!!!!

Please help!!

See less See more
#8 ·
The 2.0ltr engines aren't really that powerfull, but if its holding back, its usually more to do with the likes of fouling injectors, intermittent engien sensors etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.