BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

newbi saying hi - 318is coupe 1998

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Ronnie 
#1 ·
Hey All.

Looks to be quite a good forum.
Am based in Bury, near Manchester

Just recently in the past few weeks picked up a 105k Boston Green 1998 318is coupe, metch (i believe its got mtech suspension?, along with steering wheel + badges etc?) for £1950.

Had to downgrade from my old car (mx5 turbo running 230bhp, intercooled, standalone ecu etc etc), as my job means im doing more miles each day, i needed somthing more comfier and practical etc.

Seems to be a nice motor, few niggles i want to sort out. Hoping you guys can give me some advice?.

Needs a new exhaust as the current one is nakered. As im only using this as a runabout car im not after spending shed loads on it.
Wheres best for a cheap but good quality pattern exhaust?? (i guess i need one specifically for the 1.9 m44 16v engine??) ive seen some on ebay but im not sure.

Digital climate control is tempemental (but ive seen a guy on ebay who fixes them)

The engine feels a little lumpy thru the rev range so im guessing it needs a good service? (service light is on red!). Car has covered 110k, with the last official service stamp in the book at 78k.

Wheres best, and which makes, for the following:-
Oil ? (usually use mobil1 0w40 in my mxt turbo)
Oil Filter ?
Plugs ?
Leads ?
Air Filter ?

Anything else you would recomend servicing while ive got the spanners out?.
Or anything else i should be checking out on the car?.
It seems to sit quite low, is this jsut the mtech suspension??.

Lastly how does the "ASC" button affect the car??.
And can the traction control be turned off (not that i want to, but im just interested).

Thanks,
Greg.

See less See more
#2 ·
nice car :)
try gsf for bits.they're reasonable priced.
afaik asc stands for anti-skid control (bmw-ese for traction ;) ) so turning the button off (light on) looses your rear end in the damp.could be pricey lol

#4 ·
packers318is, Welcome to the forum:thumbsup

With regards to your mileage don't be concerned too much, my 318is had over a 140,000 niles on the clock when I took it out:thumbsup

What's the car like on tickover?

You should be checking all your air hoses for leaks as this can make the car seem underpowered and be the cause of running issues. Also whilst you're playing with your spanners you may want to consider replacing the fuel filter and lambda sensor.

I would also advise checking brakes and suspension paying particular attention to the front control arm bushes, rear trailing arm bushes and rear shock mounts:thumbsup

If I think of anything else I will post it up and i'm sure Ronnie will have further suggestions.

A good service definately sounds like a good idea and don't forget to get the service lights reset afterwards:D

#5 ·
Welcome. Nice car, I do like the 318is's! Good price too, even if it does need a bit of work.

All the coupes got the Mtech suspension, yours does look a little low to me but if it drives alright I wouldn't worry. Tyres wearing evenly?

The ASC can be turned off by simply pressing the asc button in front of the gear know and the yellow tell-tale light on the dash will illuminate to let you know it is off. They are fairly well behaved on the rear and if your used to a 230 bhp MX5 I am sure you will find it tame!

For service parts as others have said try GSF and use what ever they sell you! For oil try 5/40 - the fuchs or quantum fully synthetic sold in GSF should be fine. The only thing I could see missing off your list was the fuel filter.

As for exhaust I would avoid pattern parts - you get what you pay for. I'd probably try getting an OE one from somewhere like http://www.motormec.co.uk/ (well the original exhuast has lasted for 10 years!) or go aftermarket like supersprint.

As for preventative maintenance I'd look at replacing the rear trailling arm bushes as A20RYM said as they will go! I'd also consider replacing the final stage resistor for the heater as they also go - out of interest what is wrong with your climate as it could even be this!

So, any more details on this MX5 of yours? I do like the idea of a light two seater and have thought of getting a BBR turbo as a second car.

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum Packers318is, good to have you with us :thumbsup

Like Ian S mentioned it does look low on the rear end, I would jack her up onto stands and check to see if the rear road springs are broken, they are common for it. If you remove the rear wheels you should be able to see them easily ;)

Oil is 10w40 for the m44

See here for general prices http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/Page.asp?CategoryID=5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.