118i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact 5 daoor

Thanks
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and a very recent new owner of a 2006 118i sport. Only 44k mileage, it was originally purchased from a BMW showroom, 1 female owner and fully serviced by BMW, since purchased, no accidents or mechanical/electrical faults. I have had it since september and it has been driving completely fine, no issues. Took it for its MOT and service, last week, back to BMW where it is from-it needed new tyres thats all but day after MOT the engine light came on amber and it lost all its rev and excelleration, exhaust sounding very noisy-took it back it was a mechanical problem and it needed a new timing chain-very expensive, but done.
    Pick it up, one day later engine light comes back on again and now I have been advised that it needs an entire new wireing harness.
    Had anybody had similar problems? I am gutted that a model so well looked after/serviced with low mileage is having problems at this early stage. BMW say it is out of its warranty and so offer no gesture of goodwill. Coincidence that it has been running fine and now constant diagnostic issues? Is this a common problem?
    The engineer has been through all the diagnostics for an entire day, my thoughts are I am unsure that replacing the harness is going to rectify the problem-it is very expensive option to go through yet again.
    I am told that the engineer has never seen this on such a low mileage model? Bad luck?

Any ideas.help?

Thanks
    Carly

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Pantmonkey's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Id find the model type of your car and try posting it there - this probably isnt the right part of the forums. Also look up the forum posting rules about titles so people can see easier whats wrong. I dontn know the 1 series at all.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    sbsummit's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    X3 3.0d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    4x4

Thanks
    1st thought: you said recent owner... did you not get any warranty when you bought it? It was only 8 months ago.
    2nd thought: it sounds very suspicious that it happened the very next day after having a service - I would definitely kick up a fuss. It may be worth getting a second opinion from an independent garage, or even someone like the AA?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    My friends did this and all that was wrong was a badly fitted oil filler cap... to be frank I think you have been been spun a yarn, you can't spend a day doing diagnostics, at most it is 15 minutes on a engine, not only that if there was a wiring fault it would show up as a short or open circuit fault on one or more sensors and so it would be easy to identify which wire needed mending.

I suspect it will be an issue with a sensor such as the MAF sensor, how well does it idle?