Model of Car:
    9000 Aero
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch

Thanks
    Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I'm not a BMW owner yet, however I am here to so some research on a car that I am quite interested in, in this case an E34 530i - chiefly I am/was after some data on the nikasil/alusil M60 engines, however I hope that if all goes well, I'll be able to help you out as searching this forum will help me.

A little bit of background about me. I am a dedicated petrolhead through and through, I started out on bikes when I was younger and braver, and have moved onto cars in the past few years, however from the age of 6 or 7 if it had and engine, I wanted in, so helped my dad with my first clutch change at the tender age of 7 and haven't looked back.

I am into high performance, preferably forced induction vehicles, usually very old, usualy very cheap, and usually very high mileage, and follow the PPC mantra of No Bodykits, No Speakers, No BS. That and Ricky Bobby, I just wanna go fast. So there you have it, some kind of northern redneck with a thing for spanners and grease...

To date I have owned 3 Saab Turbos including my current car, a 9000 Aero which aside from being wrongwheeldrive is getting on for my ideal car, it is pushing somewhere north of 300bhp looks like a crock and surprises a lot of folk both on the road and especially on the track. The current stable also includes a 1980 T25 VW Camper, the wife's Renault Megane CC and a couple of project bikes.

So, yeah, let me help you help me to make the ultimate sleeper come track weapon out of an E34!

Thanks for reading, and if you guys are anything like the guys over on the Saab forum I frequent, there will be a request for pics. Well, there are none of the beemer as I haven't got it yet, but heres the Saab. (Sorry)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Hi Ferkle,Welcome to Bimmerforums.co.uk..............

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Welcome Ferkle, and best of luck in search of your car

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jamiewright1990's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    well youve got a camper, that shows taste welcome

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ferkle's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    9000 Aero
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch

Thanks
    cheers guys. theres some great information on the site. just waiting for engine numbers to come back so I can determine whether the 530 is a go (the car is in Essex, so relying on the current owner for information), failing that, I reckon an E36 might be on the agenda somewhere down the line.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Amos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evolution
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 Speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe & Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 829 Posts
    Good Morning Ferkle. Saabs rock. I love the verts they continally come out with .

Everyone loves a "rocket shed".........apart from they guy who has just spanked £50k on a fast motor and gets "whoop-assed" by a £750 motor.

These guys know more than enough for you to turn a lowly old E34 into a weapon.

Welcome mate.

Amos

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ferkle's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    9000 Aero
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch

Thanks
    Thanks Amos. Totally agree on the 'rocket shed' thing, its a lot of fun, and needless to say I am not a stranger to baiting things that on paper I really shouldn't! Lets just say I have seen off things with much more than a £50k pricetag

Anyway, onto projekt auto (sad I know, but I do name my projects, the saab is slunga ut Svenskabeast)

Well, big props to Manchester BMW, they have just confirmed for me, over the phone that the car has had the nikasil recall, and has the alusil liners now so that's a plus, just waiting for a little more information from the current owner.

I can also confirm that I am doing a little supercharger pricing, looking at injectors, exhausts etc. and figuring whether I will go megasquirt, emerald or nira.

Other things to look at are of course brakes - i figure either something from an M car or the usual Porsche fleabay effort, the car already has koni adjustable suspension which is nice, manifolds once i have figured how the standard ones flow (exhaust and inlet) and, when I have done some reading to see if it has one or not, an lsd.

Other than that, while the body is a little scabbed and has a ding or two I think a little kurust and some clearcoat will do in the looks department.

Before looking at silly cams, cranks, forged rods and pistons etc etc, I am hoping for a reliable 320-330bhp with a similar torque figure, looking at kits that are out there, should be fairly doable, however I will almost undoubtedly achieve this with second hand scrapyard bits... it more fun than a shiny kit!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Amos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evolution
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 Speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe & Vert
    Thanks
    Once you have started your "projekt auto" get it up in a thread. It will be something different and no doubt get a lot of followers.

My friend had an old black E34 530i, was great fun but needed a decent diff. The thing died when drifting it up at some old army barracks and both rear tyres came off the rims and he lost control and wrapped it round a concrete bollard. Shame really.

How much do you estimate "so far" for your conversion from sloppy old 530i that flops around on the road like a **** in a sock, to a 320bhp surpercharged weapon that will make it round a track quicker than a £50k powerhouse?

Amos

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ferkle's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    9000 Aero
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch

Thanks
    Will do, ouch for your mates car, that sounds pretty harsh.

Now onto the fun stuff though.

So far, I am looking at

£750 car
    £100 supercharger
    £ 30 rebuild kit
    £100 2 sets of 4 big red/giant green injectors
    £ 20 for a belt
    £ 10 for a couple of pulleys to drive the s/c and tension the belt
    £ 10 for stuff to make a bracket
    £ 50 in fancy silicone pipework
    £ 40 walbro fuel pump
    £ - saab intercooler
    £300 brembo calipers from a 996 add another 70 or so for fresh pads
    £ 20 in plumbing from pirtek
    £ 20 for one of the oil takeoff block things to run the charger

if I go with emerald for engine management, I am looking at about £600 there megasquirt is lots cheaper but more hassle as you have to build it yourself. I guess all in, this will be among my more expensive projects at about £5k maybe cheaper if I go for a W-spec diff.

handling wise, once everything is polybushed and as stiff as it can be in its current guise i'll look at that - however a set of coilovers, some bracing, and some guts should see that right, remember I drive a Saab, so am used to floppy as a **** in a sock..... its a good car, but damn does the thing loll about the place at some precarious angles!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Amos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evolution
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 Speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe & Vert
    Thanks
    Sounds like you have a rough idea upon what it will set you back. (that is bloody cheap!!)

Are you not going to need any strengthened internals? Or are you looking at less than 8psi?

Amos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast