BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

New Member intro

865 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rod1966 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

baught a 1992 525IX SE, looking at 'messing around' with it. joined this site to gain useful experience about how to go about it. was thinking of 'upgrading' various parts. for those who have experience with this, could you suggest the best place to start? I was thinking of the engine, maybe swapping it for something a little meatier, but have NO experience in this field at all. the car itself is mechanically sound.

#2 ·
Hi all,

baught a 1992 525IX SE, looking at 'messing around' with it. joined this site to gain useful experience about how to go about it. was thinking of 'upgrading' various parts. for those who have experience with this, could you suggest the best place to start? I was thinking of the engine, maybe swapping it for something a little meatier, but have NO experience in this field at all. the car itself is mechanically sound.

Hi Rod

Welcome to the forum :)

I would say going for an engine transplant with little to no spannering experience is a tad ambitous!!

it depends what you want from the car really but a good place to start is some uprated springs, dampers and possibly wheels and tyres depending on what is on there currently...

Have you got a budget in mind? because as with most things, that can be a deciding factor in what modifications u can make

#4 ·
thanks for the intro and advice ronnie and bossman. looks like i have hit gold and found myself a grown up site to interact with. i have baught new tyres (350 quid for four) and found out whilst getting them done that someone had already uprated front and rear springs, the break pads are slightly pitted and purple looking (dont know what purple looking means, its what the garage guy said) but are pin sharp though. its amazing how better my 525 handles on long runs and with breaking (no more strange wheel tugs ) just with new tyres. i have started a blog on my restoration project at your restoration area. please take a look and bung me advice if you have the time. (i'll need it)

i know the project is way over my head for what i want but i figure 'hey, i am intelligent, i have a camera to log events, a great site to bounce ideas with, just go for it!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.