BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

New member in desperate need of advice HELP Pleeeeease

745 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  R3GYN 
#1 ·
Hi there, am new to the forum and in need of some serious advice.
At the moment, I am on holiday in Turkey for two weeks.
What can be so bad you ask???
Well, on Sunday, I had to drive the family to Manchester airport to fly out.
We have a 2006 520d M Sport, with just over 120,000 miles which honestly did still drive like a new car. Full maind sealer service and no expense spared.
Approx 110 miles, into a 240 mile journey, I stopped at services for a comfort break.
However, upon restarting my journey, i noticed a huge lack of power which I took to mean the turbo was not operating.
I really had no option but to continue my journey as we had a flight to catch.
At about 210 miles, an "incresed emissions" warning flashed on the idrive aling with my engine light.
I had to leave the car at the car park for 2 weeks, and have the keys here so I cant even get anyone to look at it.
I also have to drive it home.
Can anyone tell me if they think i may have killed her, and if it will be ok to limp home in 2 weeks.
There is no loss of oil or any sign of physical damage.
Is it possible the DPF filter is clogged? Mass air flow meter?
Hopefully someone can help as its driving me crazy on holiday and I am seriously struggling to relax thinking about how am gonna get the wife and our 7 year old home in a fortnight.
Please help if you can.
Thanks so so much and hope to hear something soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the cat may be blocked, if your turbo was nerfed you'd get some smoke .... serious smoke at high revs. Turbo failure is usually gradual if its not an oil seal related fault as they usually go out with a cloud of smoke.

Best advice i could give is join aa or rac before you get home and make sure its nationwide recovery it only about 80 quid :)

#5 ·
A clogged DPF tends limit the rev to about 3000rpm, I have driven one with this and you get all the power to 3000rpm and then it just falls off a wall.

Low power as you describe it sounds llike no boost as all which could mean something as a simple as an induction pipe having come off the intercooler.

Turbo failure when gradual is preceeded by noise and when instant is spectacular and smokey so unlikley to be the cause.

I suspect it is going to be something simple but you need to get it on diagnostics to find out. Also get it to a good BMW indy who knows what they are doing, most garages including BMW main dealers just go down route of replacing random stuff usually starting with "it's the ECU mate" there are so many sensors that cause different symptoms and many fault codes are red herrings for something else.

Enjoy your holiday and have a proper relax, the very worst that can happen is that you might have to catch a train home!

#7 ·
Mathew, you're a gent mate, thanks so much, really do feel a bit better now. The 3000rpm thing is spot on for how the car was after I stopped at Southwaite services.
Turns out the Mrs has Green Flag cover with her RBS Royalties account and it has get home cover.
Result. Booked into a tristed "Indie" for the Wednesday we get home. And he has some new USA set up for cleaning DPF filters whilst still fitted. I know the lad personally so I can trust him not to rip me off and check all of the stuff you guys have mentioned.
Do you think I may have done any damage driving it like that, or was I effectively just driving a big heavy 2lt diesel taxi for that spell? (lol)
Genuinely lookin forward to using and contributing to the forum.
Cheers everyone for the advice.

#8 ·
So. The mystery continues.
Made it home from the airport ok. On returning to the car at Manchester, everything was fine????
Now we have 3 different indy's scrathcing their heads as I'm back to square 1.
Faults coming up, are "throttle valve, activation" and "charge air pressure control, control deviation"
Does this make sense or sound familiar to anyone on here, as its getting frustrating now. Am willing to pay to get the car fixed, but not wanting to buy a new turbo, incase its a throttle issue.
Indie I went to is normally bang on, but he's never heard of the "throttle" issue.
Can anyone shed any light please???
Thanks again
Aldo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.